Sponsored by:

Parts required for DIY brake job

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to be careful when pressing the piston back into the caliper, brake masters don't really like having the pressure reversed. I find that it is easiest to release the bleeder, bleed off a little brake fluid to press the piston back in then finish it with a brake flush. I would also double check the condition of the rubber boots on the pistons, my boots werent torn, but not in great shape, ended up replacing them and rebuilding my calipers with a rebuild kit after inspecting the condition of the calipers when i did my pads and rotors. Also as some others have said for the price of it, may as well replace the shims and vibration dampener, you are there anyways and they will only set you back a few extra dollars. Also recommend replacing the caliper hardware at the same time retention spring etc. may not need to be done, but again, no need to cut corners, not that expensive, may as well do it right.

As far as tools and labor go, it is not really any different than doing any other brake pads basic hand tools will suffice channel locks or C clamps etc. there are special tools that can make it easier, but not necessarily worth it for a one time job.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:57 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

And while you are there you might as well replace your entire braking system.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:05 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
And while you are there you might as well replace your entire braking system.
You don't have to replace everything, but certain parts are very cheap and may be worth replacing just as proper due diligence. I will admit that I went a little overboard when I did mine, did rotors, pads, sensors, caliper hardware kit, caliper rebuild kit, shims, vibration dampeners, caliper bolts, etc. But I follow the idea do it once, do it right, dont worry about it again etc.

you skip out spending $10-20 on shims and vibration dampeners then get a little vibration or noise you will regret not doing them when you have to go take everything apart to redo them.

you probably spent more than a few dollars buying your P-car, dont cheap out on something like brakes. maybe on your 92 toyota tercel, but not your P-car.

Also depending on where you get your parts, why not buy every possible part you could run into yourself needing then return what you dont need. I know with my shop I spend enough at my local dealership that the parts guys are pretty good about taking returns.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 AM
NZ951
Race Director

We are talking about brake pads! lol

Its not about saving money on a shim or whatever, its that it plain is not even remotely necessary. The retaining spring clip for example doesnt need replacing, bolts dont, sensors dont unless they activated etc... the master cylinder doesnt care when you force the pistons open. People seem overly precious because its a Porsche, really not needed in my personal view.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
We are talking about brake pads! lol

Its not about saving money on a shim or whatever, its that it plain is not even remotely necessary. The retaining spring clip for example doesnt need replacing, bolts dont, sensors dont unless they activated etc... the master cylinder doesnt care when you force the pistons open. People seem overly precious because its a Porsche, really not needed in my personal view.
I guess you and I differ in that respect as well as probably many others lol, very few things in general car maintenance are required, same as many things in life. It is probably partly due to my **** retentiveness that makes me do these things, same reason when I take off my bumper cover I get new bumper cover bolts screws and hardware for when I put it back in. Same reason that when I did my clutch, I did my IMS bearing and RMS even though it showed no signs of abnormal wear etc. It is just something I do, I always go overboard, but then I know for a fact that I did it, did it right, and wont need attention later on.

Unless you plan on using your car for many DE events and will be going through pads regularly might as well take care of a bunch of the little s**t
Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Totally respect your view on how you maintain your car...

For me, my cut of point is on items I consider to be maintenance items, versus those that are not...

Like a brake sensor that still works, is a binary thing for me, if it works, it stays, if not, it comes out.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought four new shims locally so that I could easily return them if not used. Carefully peel the old shims off the pads with a putty knife and you should be able to reuse them.

A piston expansion tool is also very handy.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

I doubt the rotors are in spec.
Front- rear pads
Front- rear rotors
Front-rear wear sensors
New caliper bolts.
Drain brake fluid, replace
Wrench to fit bleed nipples.
Vacc pump to bleed lines unless you have a helper.

Quick Reply: Parts required for DIY brake job