996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Noisy rear wheel - bearing or tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:41 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Im assuming your gonna need to bleed the brakes. Need new caliper bolts, hell... paint the calipers red while for at it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 AM
healey1968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
.... hell... paint the calipers red while for at it.
Very very tempted.... My friend helping me was pushing ferrari yellow.

Actually, one other question. Is there anyway for me to bench test the CV joints in the axle (on the off chance that my wheel bearing wasn't making the noise in the first place)?

Ben
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, you can open the CV joints up, clean them up well, and do a visual inspection - looking for any pitting.

At the end of this video I show some examples:

Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM
healey1968
Instructor

Thanks Van. I did my own bench test on the CV joints... felt for any play or noise. I'm not sure if this 'test' is worth anything, but my CV joints are solid as a rock. I doubt they're the problem.

Aker's Porsche in Seattle was more than helpful getting the old bearing out of the carrier and the new one in. PelicanParts on the other hand has been a PITA with getting an exchange for the bearing puller. I'm really disappointed with their service dept.

A quick inspection of the old bearing showed..... nothing. No pitting on the *****, nor on the races. The guys at Akers agreed, but I know this wouldn't be the first cosmetically good bearing that was making noise. One thing I am thinking about. My axle nut didn't feel like 340 ft lb tight. I know my hands & back aren't a tuned torque wrench, but it came off much easier than I expected. I wonder if that was the problem all along.

Anyways, I got out to the garage today, put the hub into the carrier/bearing assembly and put everything back together. My Pittsburg T40 wrench broke, which delayed me for a bit - but otherwise it was a very straightforward job. Went to go start the car up for a test drive and..... dead battery I guess I'll have to find out tomorrow if the fix worked or not - now out to the fireworks.

Ben
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 AM
healey1968
Instructor

Figured I'd post a follow up here - now that the problem is solved. It looks like I guessed wrong initially with the rear bearing. After putting it back in, the noise was still there.

I decided to take it over for an alignment next to see what they would say. Overall my toe was over 6mm out (total) in the front) and other values were all over the place - I'm very glad I got this done. Once I left the alignment shop the noise changed from a high pitch hum to a 'whomp whomp whomp'. With a little help from a friend we quickly pinpointed it to the front wheel.

Well, the front bearing is much easier to do than the rear. I was even able to do it all on the car and didn't have to touch the spring pearches (every diy I looked at either removed the spring completly or took the hub off the car). Now that both jobs are done the car is silent going down the road!

If anybody wants I can post some pictures I took and a mini diy of doing the front bearing with the hub staying on the car.

Ben
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While tinkering try inspecting the transmission mounts. There's one on top you can not tell is broken till dropping the engine like I found out while putting a new engine in. Being broken it allows the trans and engine to ride out of specs. Car sure tracks in turns better just because of the mount replacement. I'm thinking the broken mount was allowing some bad geometry which can add noise from the rear tires and such. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:42 PM
996 SHARK
Instructor

Had this same issue, just got the 996 looked at my a certified tech and looks like both my rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. The labor is $$$
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 SHARK
Had this same issue, just got the 996 looked at my a certified tech and looks like both my rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. The labor is $$$
Just curious, do you track your car often and do you run any wide wheels or spacers?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:09 PM
996 SHARK
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Just curious, do you track your car often and do you run any wide wheels or spacers?
No no and no lol. Completely stock and daily driven .

Im glad it happened now then later though. Rather bite the bullets for things now that down the road.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:23 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has a lot of noise from the rear tires on the highway.
I am pretty sure it is the tires Michelin AS/3. The noise changes a lot depending on the road surface. On grooved concrete (as most freeways are here) really noisy. On smooth asphalt, reasonably quite.

I can't wait until those f@#$%ing tires wear out so I can replace them
Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Originally Posted by Van
Yes, you can open the CV joints up, clean them up well, and do a visual inspection - looking for any pitting.

At the end of this video I show some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg
Thanks for posting this video, I found it very informative.

Quick Reply: Noisy rear wheel - bearing or tire?