Philly AutoX... tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Philly AutoX... tires

Hey Fellas,

I've been gone for a few months since I just started a new job. Anyway, the P-car has not had much love lately and a friend of mine invited me to an AutoX in Philly this weekend. My plan was to just drive my car with my "good" wheels since I don't plan on making a habit of attending these events...But.. my wife suggested (since I baby my wheels) that I use my junky twisties with bad tires instead. I'd rather use the set with more tread but at the same time I don't want to damage my wheels. I've done autox before (not with a porsche) but I don't recall potentially damaging my wheels being an issue. Thoughts?

FYI - my twisties are a wreck and I don't know if my tires will pass inspection since I think there is a gouge in them.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You THINK there is a gouge in them. Use the best tires. Dont run on bad tires you are asking for bad trouble.

God I only just realized it was you Ryan... You should know better..and I know you will do the right thing..
Old 06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You THINK there is a gouge in them. Use the best tires. Dont run on bad tires you are asking for bad trouble.

God I only just realized it was you Ryan... You should know better..and I know you will do the right thing..
Hahaha... of course my concern was the possibility of having a blowout with the twisties, I just dont want to roll onto one of my beloved wheels! You should bring your car into Philly on Sunday!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Best AutoX tire right now is Hoosier A6. Kumho V710 is a little less sticky, but lasts about 3x as long. Both are dot street legal so you could change tires and drive a short way to the event, but I wouldn't recommend driving them on the street if you can avoid it.

If you mean street tires, the best AutoX street tires are Hankook RS3, Dunlop Star Spec, Bridgestone RE11, and Kumho XS. Each has different pros/cons. Lots of info online, fortunately.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Anyway, getting back to the thread topic there should be no danger of damaging your wheels, but lots of tire wear is to be expected so run the bad tires unless there is a safety issue. Post a picture of the gouge & someone can tell if it's a issue. Check for cracks in the tires, especially close to the rim if they are older than 4 years.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Best AutoX tire right now is Hoosier A6. Kumho V710 is a little less sticky, but lasts about 3x as long. Both are dot street legal so you could change tires and drive a short way to the event, but I wouldn't recommend driving them on the street if you can avoid it.

If you mean street tires, the best AutoX street tires are Hankook RS3, Dunlop Star Spec, Bridgestone RE11, and Kumho XS. Each has different pros/cons. Lots of info online, fortunately.
I appreciate the recommendations but I dont intend to make my car a weekend autox car. Atleast for now...
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Anyway, getting back to the thread topic there should be no danger of damaging your wheels, but lots of tire wear is to be expected so run the bad tires unless there is a safety issue. Post a picture of the gouge & someone can tell if it's a issue. Check for cracks in the tires, especially close to the rim if they are older than 4 years.
Agreed, my other set might be too risky, I believe the gouge is down to inner ply of the tire. I only use them for winter storage so I dont care about them...

Quick Reply: Philly AutoX... tires