996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Radiator repair. She sprung a leak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator repair. She sprung a leak.

My radiator needs pampers or repair. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove and repair them. I've done a search but only have found instructions on a 3rd radiator installs.

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 03-02-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

The removal of the radiator is fairly simple, a couple of hoses and a couple of clips/bolts. Don't remember all of it exactly but I had both of mine to be flushed when I had the intermix. You have to loosen the AC condensers as part of it. Probably makes more sense to replace the radiator that to try to fix it. You can find genuine Behr replacements for less that $300, there are several on eBay now, and check Sunset. Porscheoemparts.com (Sonnen) lists them discounted at $250.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yes, I plan on replacing the radiators for $235 or so I just need instructions. I just can't seem to get the radiator to come out. During removal I just don't want to break any part that may cost another $300. I already have the ac condensers out of the way, fyi.

Originally Posted by Dharn55
The removal of the radiator is fairly simple, a couple of hoses and a couple of clips/bolts. Don't remember all of it exactly but I had both of mine to be flushed when I had the intermix. You have to loosen the AC condensers as part of it. Probably makes more sense to replace the radiator that to try to fix it. You can find genuine Behr replacements for less that $300, there are several on eBay now, and check Sunset. Porscheoemparts.com (Sonnen) lists them discounted at $250.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

THese may help..

Macster and Marc maybe able to help here as both have had to have their radiators changed.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

have you seen the cost of pampers lately.... it would be cheaper from a Porsche stealer, german stamped, original Porsche OEM radiator, hell getting the whole set would be cheaper.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed my radiator here recently. Couldn't find full instructions on how to perform it, mostly just bits and pieces out there. Here what I remember, sorry no pics. Also I have turbo radiators so it might be slightly different
1) Drain fluid
2) Jack up car (don't have to but easier, initially I drove on top of a couple 2x6"s to remove the radiator then jacked it up to reinstall)
3) Remove front wheel
4) Remove wheel liner, don't have to but it makes it so much easier. Its only a couple bolts
5) Remove front bumper, use the video above for instructions. You do not need two people, its fairly light just be careful. Be careful with the temp sensor in the bumper
6) Remove the air scoop. Two bolts I believe
7) Remove the 4 torx screws holding the condensor attached to the radiator and let the condenser just hang
8) Remove the plug that powers the radiator fan at the back of the radiator
9) There is three hoses that attached to my radiator, two upper hoses (one large hose & one small hose) and one lower hose. Where each hose attaches to the neck is a silver colored ring. Remove the ring for each of these. Once the ring is removed you can pull the hoses out of the radiator. If you have a hard time removing the hoses, these hoses are secured in the wheel well by clamps, you can unsecure them and pull them of on that side. For the lower I used a pair of needle nose vice grips to loosen the clamp
10) Now the radiator is mounted to a frame, you will need to remove the frame to get to the radiator, for my car I believe it was 1 13mm bolt and 3 torx. Also you will need to remove the clamp (1) at the front of the car that attaches to the single radiator mounting point, use a flat head screw driver. Note the washers and how the radiator attaches to the frame Once the frame is loosed from the subframe you will need to wiggle the radiator out.
11) Once out remove the clamps (2) at the end of the radiator using a flat headed screw driver. Note the washers and how the radiator attaches to the frame. Don't lose them you will need them. Now you can push the radiator out of the frame by using one of the 3 attachment points.
12) Remove the radiator fan by removing the 2 torx and slide out.
Installation is the reversal of this procedure, be careful with reinstalling the radiator since the fins bend easily.
Also be patient and take your time

To refill coolant I followed this instruction with the exact same kit (Mods - not sure if I can link to another site or not, if not pls remove) Worked like a charm
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/F...nt_System.html

Last edited by Detoxx; 06-04-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Adding additional info
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Thanks but the pic I above is already at or past the steps in these videos.

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
THese may help..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-h2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhw_...eature=related

Macster and Marc maybe able to help here as both have had to have their radiators changed.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I'm beginning to realize that, @ 33 weeks prenatal.

Originally Posted by redridge
have you seen the cost of pampers lately.... it would be cheaper from a Porsche stealer, german stamped, original Porsche OEM radiator, hell getting the whole set would be cheaper.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Thanks, I'll save this until the radiator comes in (I may forget if I start now). I was preparing to just use the 996_usa_katalog.pdf explosion pics to help however your comments will come in quite handy as well.

BTW, at the time of my post yesterday I think I'm at your step 10. I feel there is something still holding it in place.

I'm wondering should I do both radiators?

Originally Posted by Detoxx
I removed my radiator here recently. Couldn't find full instructions on how to perform it, mostly just bits and pieces out there. Here what I remember, sorry no pics. Also I have turbo radiators so it might be slightly different
1) Drain fluid
2) Jack up car (don't have to but easier, initially I drove on top of a couple 2x6"s to remove the radiator then jacked it up to reinstall)
3) Remove front wheel
4) Remove wheel liner, don't have to but it makes it so much easier. Its only a couple bolts
5) Remove front bumper, use the video above for instructions. You do not need two people, its fairly light just be careful. Be careful with the temp sensor in the bumper
6) Remove the air scoop. Two bolts I believe
7) Remove the 4 torx screws holding the condensor attached to the radiator and let the condenser just hang
8) Remove the plug that powers the radiator fan at the back of the radiator
9) There is three hoses that attached to my radiator, two upper hoses (one large hose & one small hose) and one lower hose. Where each hose attaches to the neck is a silver colored ring. Remove the ring for each of these. Once the ring is removed you can pull the hoses out of the radiator. If you have a hard time removing the hoses, these hoses are secured in the wheel well by clamps, you can unsecure them and pull them of on that side. For the lower I used a pair of needle nose vice grips to loosen the clamp
10) Now the radiator is mounted to a frame, you will need to remove the frame to get to the radiator, for my car I believe it was 1 13mm bolt and 3 torx. Once the frame is loosed from the subframe you will need to wiggle the radiator out.
11) Once out remove the clamps (3) at the end of the radiator using a flat headed screw driver. Note the washers and how the radiator attaches to the frame. Don't lose them you will need them. Now you can push the radiator out of the frame by using one of the 3 attachment points.
12) Remove the radiator fan by removing the 2 torx and slide out.
Installation is the reversal of this procedure, be careful with reinstalling the radiator since the fins bend easily.
Also be patient and take your time

To refill coolant I followed this instruction with the exact same kit (Mods - not sure if I can link to another site or not, if not pls remove) Worked like a charm
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/F...nt_System.html
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Detoxx
Racer

I posted the full instructions in case anyone else would care for them.

Hmm, now that you mention it you may need to remove the clamp the holds the radiator to the frame at the front of the car. If I remember right this clamp holds the radiator to the frame the car as well. For my radiator it was the side of the radiator that has the one attachment point not two.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Yes, thanks for posting the full instructions. I plan on following up when I'm done because over the years I've seen too many incomplete posts. I always come back in the end.

Anyway, yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about so I should remove something on that side too? I was thinking I could just wiggle it out but maybe not.

I have a silly question (by my standard) which is the left and right radiator. Most repairs I've done refer to passenger side and drivers side. Left is driver's side correct?

996 106 131 51 is the part number.

Originally Posted by Detoxx
I posted the full instructions in case anyone else would care for them.

Hmm, now that you mention it you may need to remove the clamp the holds the radiator to the frame at the front of the car. If I remember right this clamp holds the radiator to the frame the car as well. For my radiator it was the side of the radiator that has the one attachment point not two.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Once you remove the clamp and rest of bolts holding the frame you can wiggle the radiator & frame out. It's a bit awkward, but doable. Else you would have to remove the condenser, which you don't want to do.

Left side is the drivers side.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Default What in the world is this?

Should this come out of the radiator before installing? I called to have another radiator sent.

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 03-02-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

what is it... shipping spacers?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I have no idea. I'm waiting for one of you guys to tell me. It's wedged deep in there.

Originally Posted by redridge
what is it... shipping spacers?

Quick Reply: Radiator repair. She sprung a leak.