996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

East Coast racing engine rebuilders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default East Coast racing engine rebuilders?

Hi,

I am looking at an option to do a dedicated track/race engine rebuild for my 997 M96.
Flat6 is obviously a non-disputed leader in this area, but please if you know/use track motors build for your car in an alternative location - pls let me know (here or PM) where it was done and some details on the build and what organization/class does your car run with.

I have a lot of info for west coast shops now but would love to save on shiping hassle if I could find somebody not too far from Boston.

Regards, Paul.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Paul:
I have two suggestions for you:
1.) Dan Jacobs at Hairrrrrry Dog Garage; and (Oxford CT.)
2.) Spenser *** at Speed Sport Tuning (203.730.0311 52 Miry Brook Rd. Danbury, CT).

Both are in Connecticut and both are renowned for their abilities with P-cars. Dan Jacob's son Barron is now driving a Grand-Am cup car (I think that was the black/yellow/white car in my rearview mirror which then went past me like a screaming blur) which they take care of. Dan has rebuilt my friend's 996 Cup car engine when he blew a valve and damaged the case. I'm sure Dan will spend some time on the phone with you, so he can understand exactly what you want to build. He is a wealth of knowledge. He also takes care of a lot of the Conn. Valley Region's race cars.

In either case, each one is well known for great work.

For what it may be worth, Spenser has done the suspension work on my carand he too, is a wealth of knowledge about P-cars and would, I'm sure, talk with you. That would certainly save you shipping $$$$.
GL, and hope this helps,
Scott

BTW: isn't European Motor Sports out in Natick close to you? Don't know much about their race-build experience.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

EPE, European Performance Engineering. Jerry Pellegrino owns the shop and he and his team have PLENTY of experience.

He is on rt 135 on the Natick, Framingham line. He is a Stand Up Guy who knows what he is doing. Google EPE.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Already some good recommendations but more east coast shops to consider would be.

http://www.demanmotorsport.com/

http://www.bodymotion.com/porsche.asp

http://www.teambgb.com/about_team.asp

http://www.lnengineering.com/accusump.html

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for as far as rebuild for your 997 but if you are considering Flat6 then these others are valid shops to consider as well, both for rebuilding and upgraded parts as needed.

Obviously there are others, as well as myself, available to rebuild,refresh, as needed, but you seem to prefer someone close to you so I will leave myself and the west coasters I know off of the list. There are many options out there, I don't recommend going with low bid, but not necessarily high bid either.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Country911
Paul:
I have two suggestions for you:
1.) Dan Jacobs at Hairrrrrry Dog Garage; and (Oxford CT.)
2.) Spenser *** at Speed Sport Tuning (203.730.0311 52 Miry Brook Rd. Danbury, CT).

Both are in Connecticut and both are renowned for their abilities with P-cars. BTW: isn't European Motor Sports out in Natick close to you? Don't know much about their race-build experience.
i emailed spenser but got no response yet. may be he is out somewhere.

i know all shops near to me in natick as i live there but they do not work on M96. i can check with Jerry again as he is our NER PCA CI now but i think he only works on GT3 and older aircooled engines.
i do not think myself it makes a lot of sense to keep investing into this 997 C2 platform but i want to get a very clear picture of what it will cost to finish up this tub into something what can be competitive in the GTS4 NASA class before i sell it and will move to something/anything else. will see.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
There are many options out there, I don't recommend going with low bid, but not necessarily high bid either.
Jake quoted his Stage 2 motor rebuild at $24K now. As much as i appreciate a chance to get grand am grade motor it is a bit on a high end side for me, for rebuild only.
all i want is to get something i can redline at time trials and initial racing events witout a fear to get an oil trace all around. may be i am a bit paranoid about this now but after almost 4 years of running with various groups i know for a fact those engines are not immortal, unfortunately. and i am somewhere in 50-60 track hours on my motor by now, it is difficult to know for sure as i did not keep track of it during first years.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
harddock
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 on EPE
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Jake quoted his Stage 2 motor rebuild at $24K now. As much as i appreciate a chance to get grand am grade motor it is a bit on a high end side for me, for rebuild only.
all i want is to get something i can redline at time trials and initial racing events witout a fear to get an oil trace all around. may be i am a bit paranoid about this now but after almost 4 years of running with various groups i know for a fact those engines are not immortal, unfortunately. and i am somewhere in 50-60 track hours on my motor by now, it is difficult to know for sure as i did not keep track of it during first years.
Every motor out there will leak some oil, waste a bearing, leak some coolant, and blow a seal. If you drive on the track hard in any car you will experience some failure. Basically what you do is figure out what risks, or weak links your particular brand/model/engine type car has and then do some risk management. Oh, and cross your fingers too, it can't hurt.
On 996/997 it's upgraded IMS,additional oil pans, Accusumps, some feel stronger rods and brgs,power steering coolers, etc etc, then you do those things and drive it and maintain it properly. I don't think you need a 24k upgraded rebuild engine, FYI - I make 340+ RWHP out of a 996 stock block,rods, heads, etc. Yes, it has some tuning to it and a few cherry picked bolt on's, and my own custom designed exhaust, but it's still a stock block, and heads. It runs in GTS4 NASA and is a contender.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just find a junk yard M97 3.6 and flog it to death. Cheaper....
Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Just find a junk yard M97 3.6 and flog it to death. Cheaper....
That is not a bad approach to doing it as well. Decent HP isn't hard to make in these with some flashing and the right bolt on parts. You could add the IMS,and some other preventative measures as well to increase the length of time the junk yard motor would last. You could even pull your current motor and keep it as a spare to build or reinstall when you are done having fun racing it.

Me personally, I would buy new from Porsche or build it to what you want. But as you can see there are many options to do this. Just have to decide which is best for you.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Paul:
The big zone 1 club race was this weekend. Spenser might have been out at WGI for track support for his customers.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so unfair question time . . .

What is a reasonable budget range-ish for a track-focused refresh and/or prep? Granted there are many variables and different builders charge different rates.

I'm at 122,000 miles, original motor and original IMS--KNOCK ON WOOD! The car is a "track" car, but I can't fairly say its a "race" car since I don't race at this point.

Other than each of the cam actuators and two coil packs, the motor is still strong. But . . .

So,
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I would ask Rick Deman to rebuild your M96 motor as he has a very strong spec boxster program today and knows these engines best on the east coast.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is Musante Motorsports - South Windsor, CT
Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake quoted his Stage 2 motor rebuild at $24K now
Thats Stage II WITH the track package included. That also included extraction, installation, all fluids, full break in service along with 200 road miles and the first oil service and inspection. It also included dyno time.
Others will generally price things lower to get you in the door, then the bill ends up being more than what we state up front as they bill for every nut, bolt and drop of oil. Here we know what the job consists of and we are very proficient with these engines, leaving no hidden costs or "things we forgot about". With a schedule that is filled until spring 2013 we don't have to employ these sorts of tactics to stay busier than we even want to be. I create a very specific proposal that includes schedule and exact price and thats exactly what you pay. This document contains zero fine print~

Remember: We were working with the internals of these engines, making big bores and doing it before anyone else, back then lots of the "new guys" working with these engines were laughing at us for doing it.

Funny thing is they build their engines with the tools that I developed/ modified and some have even sat in my engine rebuild classes. Guess who they call when they can't figure something out? Guess who doesn't need a "lifeline" to create these engines from scratch. When these engines could be bought for 5-7K brand new I was still selling our thoroughbred for 17-20K and sold more than we could build.

We have a true program with known components, known outputs, known performance and we don't use you or your engine as a guinea pig. We certainly aren't the only company that can build these engines, but trust if they utilize improved components during the build that the same hands that typed this message also did the development and test work for those components. This includes LN Nickies cylinders which we began developing hand in hand with LN twelve years ago.

Read This testimonial for a taste of what not to do if you want to last more than two laps at the track and you'd prefer not to throw 14,000 dollars away~
http://www.flat6innovations.com/brok...a-bad-decision

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 06-05-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: East Coast racing engine rebuilders?