Sponsored by:

Bodyshop vs Insurance Estimates

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

The police report states that he provided no insurance information so I think I'm screwed on that front.
Sean

I am not sure of the rules in AB, but I would have thought that they would have a plate and name and address. I would seek to get the insurance information or to at least sue for the deductible in small claims.

How did the police not get the insurance info? That seems incompetent. I had a similar experience with my Subaru and the OPP officer actually followed up with the offender to get the info.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
More thoughts than suggestions or advice, but here goes. Your right is to, as close as possible, return your car to its former condition, which includes value. While states (guessing provinces as well) may have varying rules relating to diminution, it is generally a recognized principle, compensible as an element of damages and recoverable. While it can be excluded from coverage in your policy for your vehicle, the same would not apply as to his liability to you. Be prepared to support the difference in value of your car with collision repair history vs. without. Perhaps that could open a discussion that could bring you to where you want to be. GL!
Insurance companies don't cover diminished value in Canada - ever.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 PM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
Unfortunately, there is this little thing called "no fault" which applies here. Since I wasn't in the car when it happened...I had just stepped out...it's not a collision. So it comes out of my comprehensive coverage. Which has a $1000 deductible. Now if he accepts fault...or rather his insurance company accepts fault...then I don't have to pay the deductible because his insurance company has to pay for the damage.

The police report states that he provided no insurance information so I think I'm screwed on that front.

sean
What do you expect from a roughneck hick driving an F350 in Fort Mac? I know the money is good up there - but it's a crappy place to live.

Anyway, let's hope that this guy does the right thing and comes forward to take responsibility. He probably won't - but here's hoping it works out for you friend.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by targa996
Not sure how it works in Canada but I would get 3 estimates from porsche approved shop - or one estimate if there is only 1 shop in 50 mile radius and write to other party insurance carrier that you will onluy accept porsche approved repair and if they don't agree you will get attorney involved to recover additional fees for attorney, your time wasted and reduction in resale value since now car will show up as having been repaired .....
Ah! You Americans love your attorneys!

Quick Reply: Bodyshop vs Insurance Estimates