Sponsored by:

Bodyshop vs Insurance Estimates

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bodyshop vs Insurance Estimates

Unfortunately, my car was turned into by a big F350 in a parking lot. While I was getting out of the car.

In any case, I have finally received both estimates for the repair. One from the most highly recommended body shop near me in Alberta...and one from State Farm. Bodyshop is several thousand above what State Farm says it is supposed to be.

Now, I already knew that State Farm does not accept the hourly labour rate this shop charges...they will accept up to $85/hr for the bodywork/paint. They told me I would have to pay the extra the shop charges...which is $95. No big deal.

However, their total labour and paint charges are almost half from what the bodyshop estimate. I was expecting some difference...but it's $3000.

What are my options here? Is it possible to get State Farm to review their estimate? Or am I completely #@$^%&@#?

I don't want to get it fixed at some 2 bit shop....this isn't a 10 year old corolla

Here's my baby...

Any suggestions?
sean
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No advice just wishing you good luck with it. I hate insurance companies it should be fixed right by a porsche certified shop or comprable. Not this lets make a deal and we know a guy with a can of krylon.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
Unfortunately, my car was turned into by a big F350 in a parking lot. While I was getting out of the car.

In any case, I have finally received both estimates for the repair. One from the most highly recommended body shop near me in Alberta...and one from State Farm. Bodyshop is several thousand above what State Farm says it is supposed to be.

Now, I already knew that State Farm does not accept the hourly labour rate this shop charges...they will accept up to $85/hr for the bodywork/paint. They told me I would have to pay the extra the shop charges...which is $95. No big deal.

However, their total labour and paint charges are almost half from what the bodyshop estimate. I was expecting some difference...but it's $3000.

What are my options here? Is it possible to get State Farm to review their estimate? Or am I completely #@$^%&@#?

I don't want to get it fixed at some 2 bit shop....this isn't a 10 year old corolla

Here's my baby...

Any suggestions?
sean
First, that totally sucks. I'm sorry to see/hear about the accident -- at least it doesn't sound like anyone was hurt.

Second, my experience has been totally different with USAA and even previously with Amex Property and Casualty, however, since the body shop and insurance company seem to be worlds apart from one another, I would call State Farm and tell them to duke it out with the shop. It shouldn't cost you anything (other than the deductible) to get your car fixed. You don't have to go to a cut rate, half baked repair shop to get your car fixed. Alternatively, you can ask the body shop to call State Farm -- the net result is the same -- but if they want the business then they should make it work with State Farm.

Did State Farm recommend more than one shop who could do the work at the rate they said they'd cover? Have you checked out their shop? Why are they just giving you a single shop rec? Are there not a lot of options for repair places nearby? State Farm can't base its rates to you on what it might cost to get the same car repaired in Omaha. They've got to base it on reality...not a 2 bit shop that's never touched a Porsche before.

Have you esclated this within claims to someone higher than the kid who answers the phones? Ask to speak to a manager and tell them you're not getting adequate service.

Finally, find yourself a new insurance company. You might even consider telling State Farm that you're considering leaving based on how difficult it's been to deal with them. Give them the whole spiel about how great it's been with them so far and how you'd heard great things but after this experience, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just my $.02,
-Eric
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

More thoughts than suggestions or advice, but here goes. Your right is to, as close as possible, return your car to its former condition, which includes value. While states (guessing provinces as well) may have varying rules relating to diminution, it is generally a recognized principle, compensible as an element of damages and recoverable. While it can be excluded from coverage in your policy for your vehicle, the same would not apply as to his liability to you. Be prepared to support the difference in value of your car with collision repair history vs. without. Perhaps that could open a discussion that could bring you to where you want to be. GL!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6

Here's my baby...

Any suggestions?
sean
If I understand correctly your car was hit and through no fault of your own?

You should not be talking to your insurance company but the other driver's insurance company.

The other driver's insurance company is responsible to pay for the repairs to bring the car back as close as humanly possible to the car's pre-collision condition.

I would strive as much as insurance/consumer laws allow to have the car fixed where you and a dealer/or some other very knowledgeable people tell you is the best shop to have the car repaired. In the USA there are Porsche Approved Collision Centers, though they are not as numerous or common as one is led to believe. For instance there is only one in the SF bay area (Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland CA). Not only does it repair Porsches but it repairs other high end cars: Aston-Martin, BMW, Mercedes, Jags, Audi and my local Porsche dealer told me Bentley, too. In your area look for an autobody paint/repair shop that specializes in high end cars. Ask the various dealers where they send their cars for repair.

Anyhow, your car costs to repair (properly) what it costs. If the other driver's insurance company is not happy about this have them speak to the their driver about the consequences of running into a Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 PM
otto06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed with what Macster sayz - you weren't at fault - the other person is liable to restore your car to pre-collision condition - I have had to have this argument a few times and have one - I find that saying look make me happy or I can just phone my lawyer tends to get their attention... you should not be liable for ANY costs - including deductible - and they should provide you with a rental while it is in the shop - regardless of yours or his coverage. At least this is true in the US.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Could you clarify... Is State Farm your carrier or his?

If this is his insurance, then just go through your own carrier to advocate on your behalf. If yours, I would threaten to cancel the policy - and any other coverage you have with them. And don't just take the answer from the adjuster. Get your agent involved. He or she should be fighting for you. This is why we pay these weasels. Do not accept the bs "policy" argument. Time to be direct and forceful. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Being in the troughs of my own Insurance Claim - I would encourage you to call your States Insurance Commissioners office and see what the law in your state offers you in the way of protection from Insurance Company Low balling on Claims.

In Washington and most other states you would have the Right to go to ANY other Body Shop you chose, and they cannot argue Shop Rates if reasonable (a $10 difference?). Second - if your not happy with the offered settlement you should have the Right, to an Arbitrated Appraisal for repairs. And third - definitely look for someone, an independent appraisal adviser, about Deminised Value Claim!!! I am using ADE - Auto Damage Experts, Inc., David Smith - and so far am very happy with the considerable good communications - unlike the very POOR response from My own Ins. Co. USAA. - Now USAA is better than State Farm - the carrier for the accident causing cell phone texting 22 year old that caused the three car accident that hit me in the rear and now has Totaled my trusty old A6.
Gal on the Cell Phone whacked the back of Honda dead stopped behind me and pushed it in to me. USAA offered $6500 - State Farm only $5400 to "Settle". I said no and invoked the Appraisal Clause in the policy. Settlement is still waiting on slow moving USAA but should be resolved next week, maybe through arbitration..... Good Luck
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that seems pretty lame on state farms part. even for being private alberta insurance. i had canadian western and had my car keyed, entire length, both sides. called them up and told them about it. they said "no problem, take it to whatever shop you want and get er fixed".
and here in canada he has to go through his insurance company and then the insurance companies will deal with each other. sounds like you need to nail state farm which is weird. i could understand his insurance balking but yours? they should be fighting for you.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Unfortunately, there is this little thing called "no fault" which applies here. Since I wasn't in the car when it happened...I had just stepped out...it's not a collision. So it comes out of my comprehensive coverage. Which has a $1000 deductible. Now if he accepts fault...or rather his insurance company accepts fault...then I don't have to pay the deductible because his insurance company has to pay for the damage.

The police report states that he provided no insurance information so I think I'm screwed on that front.

The body shop said they were following up with state farm to address some of the short comings in their estimate.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
sean
Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage! That sucks!

I would think you can work with the repair shop and with State Farm and come to an agreement. It's your right as the paying customer to have the car repaired properly. I agree with the previous comments - you should consider another insurance company. I was a State Farm customer years ago, until I realized how much they were screwing my with my premiums.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
lingpoen
Racer

no-fault sux. living in (no-fault) FLA & Texas, then not, here (CA), no-fault is far worse and is always more expensive.(gov being involved but let's not start that) by definition in CA, yours would not be comp claim, it would be a collision claim, because one car "moving" hit another. car moving=collision. i can't believe with that scrape, an insurance company can be $3k off from one estimate to another!!! unfrekn believable! get it fixed correctly, the loudest wheel gets the most oil, etc.. the damage looks 10-12 hours max labor and that's figuring two panels primmed & painted. this is no toyota, and small claims works, when u are "not-at-fault." however, there is no question bodyshops luv to pit their customer against the evil empires. there is a lot of middle ground out there, you can find it, but it can b a PIA. my 2 cents (insurance agent)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

interesting you say that...State farm estimates 30 hours labour...the shop 54.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM
lingpoen
Racer

jimmy christmas, it has been a long time since i looked at an autobody's shop chart(estimates on particular services) but i do remember 4 hour per prime & paint per panel. i estimated 4 hours to put it together. my wife says i live in the 50's, maybe she is right. however, last year i got a lot more fixed on an F150 crunch than what i'm looking at, w an estimate of 9 hours plus parts. maybe p cars nuts & bolts take longer to unscrew....again the difference in the quotes fr your ins company & the shop is a whole day and that just doesn't figure....porsche or not-
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how it works in Canada but I would get 3 estimates from porsche approved shop - or one estimate if there is only 1 shop in 50 mile radius and write to other party insurance carrier that you will onluy accept porsche approved repair and if they don't agree you will get attorney involved to recover additional fees for attorney, your time wasted and reduction in resale value since now car will show up as having been repaired .....

Quick Reply: Bodyshop vs Insurance Estimates