Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hard rubber vs standard motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm, so for someone who does track his car the RS mounts sound like a very good thing....interesting. Difficulty of the install???? Approximate expense one should expect to see, anyone, if you have an indie shop do the work? And, while I get the idea that the car will feel tighter, more screwed together, less shifting of weight transfer?????? Any idea as to whether this will actually shave time off a lap (Pete?), or is it simply a feel thing? Thank, in advance.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

The mounts are rather easy to install. You need to support the engine and swap them one at a time. An indy can do this in an hours time. However if you like to wrench then you can DIY.

The only way the mounts will improve a lap time is by giving you more confidence due to the improved feel of the chassis. The factory mounts allow a lot of flexing and this becomes very apparent on the track. The motor will be planted in the rear which gives the feeling that the car is one solid unit. To me, it actually felt like the suspension was stiffened since the motor is not able to twist around. You will notice a difference over bumps as well...again no flexing. There is a very distinct difference between RS and factory mounts.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My original motor mounts are 10 years old, and though still intact, I also feel they are way too flexy now that I have the PSS9s on, with bigger ARBs. As long as the inner car vibration is not increased significantly, I'd like the motor to rotate less on the mounts & give a more solid feel. Deciding on just new standard, TTs, or RS mounts..

Last edited by perryinva; 05-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine in about 30 minutes and I had never done it before. Really easy DIY. All you need is a floor jack to support the motor while you make the change, and a 16" or longer extension for your socket wrench to reach the nut on the bottom. You go up from underneath between the bumper and exhaust.

There are a number of DIY's on Renntech and 6speed.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Hmmm, so for someone who does track his car the RS mounts sound like a very good thing....interesting. Difficulty of the install???? Approximate expense one should expect to see, anyone, if you have an indie shop do the work? And, while I get the idea that the car will feel tighter, more screwed together, less shifting of weight transfer?????? Any idea as to whether this will actually shave time off a lap (Pete?), or is it simply a feel thing? Thank, in advance.
I agree with the "solid" comments. I also think the gear shifting is better for some reason. I had a SSK prior to adding the mounts and I can feel the gear better. There is a little more vibration inside the car too. I would say it helps in lap times but it's splitting hairs....but it is a confidence builder which lets push harder.

Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 05-26-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spilling
Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM
SWK6Cup

Rock on guys, thankx! I think I might want to check this out. OEM RS mounts...the better/best way to go? Or Rennline....who do you recommend, please.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Rock on guys, thankx! I think I might want to check this out. OEM RS mounts...the better/best way to go? Or Rennline....who do you recommend, please.
There are threads floating around which discuss this, and my take-away was that the RS mounts are the best combination of stiffness and vibration damping.

Rennline are solid methinks, and its agreed that solid mounts transmit way too much vibration through the car, even to the point of jeapordizing the electronics.

WEVO makes a semi-solid, but the price isn't that much better than the Porsche parts, and you know Porsche (which employs some of the best engineers in the world and has 2/3 of a century of very successful racing experience) makes a good semi-solid motor mount.

What's it called again.....? Oh yeah - RS motor mounts!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
SWK6Cup

Thankx guys, looks like Porsche Rs mounts are the way to go...I will check into this in the very near future. Enjoy the holiday.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I *just* finished installing a set of the RS motor mounts, and by just I mean a few hours ago, and I can report that the increase in NVH (noise vibration harshness) is barely noticeable, at least to me.

I did install a light weight flywheel and sport clutch at the same time, as well as a second gear detent mod, and I installed my track wheels and tires, so all in all the whole package feels razor sharp, but NVH is simply not an issue.

Highly recommended. $400 at Suncoast.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankx guys, looks like Porsche Rs mounts are the way to go...I will check into this in the very near future. Enjoy the holiday.
Scott, go with the OEM RS mounts and bring the car to my shop so we can talk while I teach you how to install them.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM
SWK6Cup

Chris:
when I get them, will do! I would love to catch up with you, been too long!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, Call anytime.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
OK, so what about TT mounts instead? Good compromise between standard and RS?
Perry I run the 996TT mounts in my race car, have had them in for over 2 years now. They're noticably larger than stock 996 mounts.....
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Perry I run the 996TT mounts in my race car, have had them in for over 2 years now. They're noticably larger than stock 996 mounts.....
Interesting. I bought some TT mounts and installed them but I didn't notice any size difference and the ride didn't seem all that different either.

I'm wondering if I actually got TT mounts(had no reason to doubt the seller). hmmm....

Also read conflicting info on whether TT mounts are solid or fluid filled...
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
JR the stock/turbo mounts are really heavy. The RS mounts are easily half the weight. Curious why you chose the turbo mounts for your race car..?

Quick Reply: Hard rubber vs standard motor mounts