Sponsored by:

Hard rubber vs standard motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hard rubber vs standard motor mounts

Since I lowered my C2 with PSS9s, I was thinking of installing the "Hard Rubber" motor mounts as shown by deutschepartsusa on ebay, on "sale" this week. Are these the same as RS mounts anyone know? Or a different one altogether. I know they are not the same same as the OEs but others have given them high marks for quality. They do not look like the ones that Gert sells. Are the standard OE's oil filled?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

The OE's are oil filled. I just blew one out jacking up the car- it is a little scary to see oil streaming out from under the car! I too am thinking about solid rubber mounts as I think it will stiffen my cab's chassis up a tiny bit.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if you installed a roof that would help the chassis problems of a cab... just sayin
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have RS mounts. The stiffer mounts help a lot when the car is being pushed. The car feels like its really screwed together. No flexing of the motor when on brakes or gas. A worthwhile mod if you are tracking your car. Shifting accuracy may improve a small amount as well. (Ive had mine for a couple years now so I dont really remember how the shifts felt before)
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am installing my RS motor mounts as early as this weekend. $400 from suncoast, which includes a bagfull of mounting hardware.

You don't say what the price is on the fleabay parts but if the savings are less than $200 then I would just go with the factory stuff. It will last ten years or more so amortized over time the savings won't buy a case of beer per year. At least not where I live.

As far as impressions go - I'm doing a liteweight flywhee, sport clutch and 2nd gear detent at the same time, so the car is going to feel very different all around and I'll be hard pressed to attribute any one sensation with any one mod...at least at first.

I've heard only good things about the RS mounts, and now that I have them in my hand I can see they are very similar to the RS mounts I installed in my 911 many years ago...and I liked those a lot., so I'm pretty stoked.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about filling the mounts with window weld? I know this has been done on the transmission mount, but I've never seen it done on the engine mounts.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by laz74
What about filling the mounts with window weld? I know this has been done on the transmission mount, but I've never seen it done on the engine mounts.
WTF???

Did you just cross over from the Jeep Cherokee forum?

Will you be sugesting duct tape and bailing wire next?

C'mon man...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM
laz74
Racer

This DIY transmission mod seems worthwhile - check it out.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-urethane.html

I plan to do the same. 3M Window Weld costs $25. And, while I'm at it, I might try to fill the voids in the 2 engine mounts to stiffen them up. If the results are similar, I've saved myself $375 vs the RS mounts.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by laz74
This DIY transmission mod seems worthwhile - check it out.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-urethane.html

I plan to do the same. 3M Window Weld costs $25. And, while I'm at it, I might try to fill the voids in the 2 engine mounts to stiffen them up. If the results are similar, I've saved myself $375 vs the RS mounts.
That procedure is not even a bit transferable to a hydraulic motor mount, the GT3 trans mount is totally (totally) different than a 996 motor mount. Chalk and Cheese.

But besides that...it's a ghetto fix man. Like we're in Cuba or something.

Whatev though - give it a shot. My guess is you'll make a mess and spend $25 doing it....and you still won't have a working motor mount.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
WTF???

Did you just cross over from the Jeep Cherokee forum?

Will you be sugesting duct tape and bailing wire next?

C'mon man...
Now now, cut him some slack. He's a typical Porsche owner along the likes of Scott K.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a good read about eBay motor mounts...https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/636542-look-what-happened-to-my-engine-motor-mount.html

This is probably not the best place to skimp.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
I have RS mounts. The stiffer mounts help a lot when the car is being pushed. The car feels like its really screwed together. No flexing of the motor when on brakes or gas. A worthwhile mod if you are tracking your car. Shifting accuracy may improve a small amount as well. (Ive had mine for a couple years now so I dont really remember how the shifts felt before)
This ^^^ If you're not tracking the car, I'd stick with the stock mounts, or at least not change them out till you have a mount fail. I raced my 996 for two years on stock mounts, and it wasn't until I was pushing the car REALLY hard (like running 1:56's that the need for the RS mounts came into play.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

After I did the X74 I added the RS mounts after a year. Nothing like having Pcar performance parts on the track...everything just feels right.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, so what about TT mounts instead? Good compromise between standard and RS?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM
SSST
Drifting

The stock TT mounts aren't much, if any, stiffer than the standard mounts. I believe the mounts that come with the X73 suspension are the RS mounts. If so, that is the way to go for a street car that occasionally sees the track.

I installed them a couple of weeks before the rest of the suspension went on and they made a big improvement.

They even tighten up the handling on a cab.

Quick Reply: Hard rubber vs standard motor mounts