996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 CDR alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
otto06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis - I thought that MOST also connected the factory AMP? Is that not the case?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 PM
997.C4SC
3rd Gear

Default Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Originally Posted by kj217
i just ordered Pioneer DEH-80PRS
seems to be the perfect match
KJ,
Did you install this head unit? I am thinking about this for my 2001 Boxster
Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kj217
what do you guys go for an alternative to CDR systems?
i need something fits perfectly in place and matches dashboard illumination colors and gives more options like ipod, bluetooth, etc.
Nakamichi are one of the more refined, OEM looking systems with EXCELLENT sound quality and should have ipod integration.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I just ordered Pioneer DEH-80PRS
seems to be the perfect match
Did you install this head unit? I am thinking about this for my 2001 Boxster

This is a pretty old thread that seems to of been revived. But anyway...

I recently installed a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS which a close sibling of the DEH-80PRS... Cosmetically identical, both allow you to match interior illumination very closely. The 80PRS has a few more audiophile features while the 9500 has some additional functionality and better Apple integration. At about $190 street price, I am extremely happy with the pioneer deck and think it integrates quite well into my 911.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Default CDR Alternatives

Gonzo, for what porsche year did you find that Eurospeed parts? (Euro Motorspeed through their eBay store sells the cubby shelf, Porsche logo bezel and complete installation kits for double din units.) I found the shelf in the link you posted (still there).

Also, I went to one of the shops that works on my car to ask about who can do this swap of stereos. One of the guys asked me what happens to the radio codes. I have not seen anything on that, so I assume that it is no longer needed and it is controlled at the radio and not external to the radio and that new radios may come with their own code. Correct?

So, if someone has already done this on a 2001 996 and remember what they got , it would be great to get that info. I bought the cupholders and now thinking that I am doing it backwards. I don't need cupholders - I need to get rid of CDs. thanks for the help
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschelova
Gonzo, for what porsche year did you find that Eurospeed parts? (Euro Motorspeed through their eBay store sells the cubby shelf, Porsche logo bezel and complete installation kits for double din units.) I found the shelf in the link you posted (still there).

Also, I went to one of the shops that works on my car to ask about who can do this swap of stereos. One of the guys asked me what happens to the radio codes. I have not seen anything on that, so I assume that it is no longer needed and it is controlled at the radio and not external to the radio and that new radios may come with their own code. Correct?

So, if someone has already done this on a 2001 996 and remember what they got , it would be great to get that info. I bought the cupholders and now thinking that I am doing it backwards. I don't need cupholders - I need to get rid of CDs. thanks for the help
The bezel I ordered fit my 2003 perfectly. Since I have a cupholder, the config on a MY01 will be different. I would email Euro Motorspeed and ask. They are very responsive.

The radio code only applies to the OEM Stereo, not your new Double Din. My Pioneer has a password and if I ever forget what it is, the whole unit has to come out and be sent back to the factory for a reset (although I am sure there is a hack for that somewhere).

Make sure that the car audio shop you pick is familiar with Porsche audio. It is a much different install than what they are typically used to doing. While you are at it, make sure you update the speakers as well. And a new amp. And a new subwoofer.... Below is the most recent pic after installing the PORSCHE logo bezel. Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
jaystudios
7th Gear

Originally Posted by pfbz

I recently installed a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS which a close sibling of the DEH-80PRS...
Pfbz,

I'm considering the same. Did you do the install yourself? If so, which wiring harness did you use? I'm seeing conflicting info on use of the Metra 1784 and 1787, with some using both since there is no perfect harness with matching pinouts. For reference, I have an '02 C2 Cab, with a hifi system.

I would totally do the deh-80prs, but it doesn't seem to have an HD tuner, which I'm curious about having. Not so interested in Sirius with ability to stream pandora, spotify, songza, etc.

Other than a wiring harness, antenna adapter, cable crimps, and removal keys, do I need anything else to install A single DIN?

-Jay
Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by jaystudios
Pfbz,

I'm considering the same. Did you do the install yourself? If so, which wiring harness did you use? I'm seeing conflicting info on use of the Metra 1784 and 1787, with some using both since there is no perfect harness with matching pinouts. For reference, I have an '02 C2 Cab, with a hifi system.

I would totally do the deh-80prs, but it doesn't seem to have an HD tuner, which I'm curious about having. Not so interested in Sirius with ability to stream pandora, spotify, songza, etc.

Other than a wiring harness, antenna adapter, cable crimps, and removal keys, do I need anything else to install A single DIN?
I think I used the Metra 70-1784. If I recall, it worked great, though a couple of the wires had incorrect color matchup (think it was the power antenna and another one that the colors were swapped?) You can either ignore the incorrect color on the adapter and wire it correctly based on the Porsche/Becker pin-outs, or remove the two wires from the connector and swap them to the right positions.

That, plus a euro antenna adapter and general wiring hardware was all that I needed. The Pioneer comes with a DIN cage and removal keys.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Liceman
Instructor

to the OP, regarding single DIN...

I recently put in a Kenwood KDC-355u single DIN unit. You can color match the amber well. It's more understated than a lot of aftermarket units, and looks good installed. Looks like $110 at Crutchfield currently.

Kenwood also offers a blutooth model in same style.

I ended up with the Kenwood 355u, and replaced the dash and rear speakers with Polk Audio Dxi400 4inch speakers. I left the subs in the doors and the amp alone. I'm happy with the results.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH double din. I tried the single din but due to the reflection I found it difficult to see and operate. Nice thing about double din is that everything is touch and extremely easy to operate. I've loaded the Porsche logo background and changed the color to orange which matches perfectly to the rest of the panel. As for navi I use my IPhone which broadcasts to the Pioneer screen.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Wausau 911
Instructor

Long Ilander, just remember the Becker mod is MONO

Quick Reply: 996 CDR alternatives