Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Finally got around to making an insurance claim for my rear bumper cover...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012 | 08:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Default Finally got around to making an insurance claim for my rear bumper cover...

My C4S was hit in the parking garage at Denver International airport. Of course, the a-hole who hit it didn't leave a note. I filed my claim and got a quote yesterday. It came in at $2,240.43. This includes a new bumper cover, properly painted and reinstalled. Fortunately that's all that was damaged. The other good news is that they can match it without putting any paint on the metal - they'll panel paint the bumper cover only. This shop specializes in Porsche and Audi, and I've also seen a few Ferraris in there. They did the work on our Cayenne last year and did a nice job. Now if I can only find the time to get this done...
Old 05-16-2012 | 10:03 PM
Barn996
Race Director

That's good news Dennis. Bet you are glad you filed a claim for the amount of $ to fix the rear bumper.
Old 05-16-2012 | 10:10 PM
996_North
Drifting

Take some pictures of the damage. If you plan on selling the car later, the claim may show up on carfax etc, and you can at least show a prospective buyer the damage was mostly "cosmetic" and you had taken care of it appropriately ....Wow, you left it at the airport parking gargage !
Old 05-17-2012 | 01:05 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Good idea on the photo.

I always leave the C4S in the airport parking garage. It's my daily driver! Until now, it hasn't been a problem!
Old 05-17-2012 | 01:10 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

I only have one comment for an individual that hits a car and leaves without notification. Its like the old days when someone stole or caused your horse harm... Hanging!
Old 05-17-2012 | 01:32 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Karma will catch up to them, always does in one way or another in time, I wouldn't worry too much. Same thing happened to me with my STI, hit in a parking lot in my cities bar district and didn't leave a note. I ended up finding her and settling out of court.
Old 05-19-2012 | 01:08 AM
Kdude
Advanced

Question about painting the rear bumper cover...
If this has to be done does the body shop remove the cover or do they paint with it on ? What's the proper way to have this job done ?
Old 05-19-2012 | 03:10 AM
One Nut
Instructor

it should be painted before install. that is what I was told by a very good shop before they replaced my daughters honda civic's rear bumper,
Old 05-19-2012 | 04:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It will be removed when painted.
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

New bumper cover scheduled for the 12th. I'm looking forward to getting it done. Got the check from the insurance company, so I'm ready to go. Hopefully they won't find any unseen damage when they remove the cover. Here's a "before" pic of the damage.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:27 PM
tgt40
Pro

Wow, that's a lot of dough - but quality costs as we know. Hope it comes out perfect!
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The number I posted was actually less my $500 deductible, so the total was $2,740.43. The bumper cover alone was $1,865.23.
Old 06-05-2012 | 08:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kdude
Question about painting the rear bumper cover...
If this has to be done does the body shop remove the cover or do they paint with it on ? What's the proper way to have this job done ?
If the body/paint shop is one you should be using it will remove the cover and if it is can be repainted the cover will be prepped and painted it in a proper spray booth.

Porsche recognizes just 3 paint/paint systems: Standox, Spies-Hecker, and Glasurit.

A paint system is not only the paint but the entire system for applying the paint, controlling temp/humidity and dust during the process, and so on.

Depending upon the color sometimes to get the best results adjacent panels need to be sprayed to blend the paint so one panel, or in this case the bumper cover, doesn't stand out from adjacent panels.

The metal flake paints are the worst: My experience was with my 03 Arctic Silver Turbo. The arctic silver paint's color comes from the size/shape and orientation of the flakes in the paint. The size/shape is controlled at paint manufacturing time. The orientation comes from proper application/drying of the paint.

But the results are if done by a shop that knows its business is identical to the factory paint. Check that. The repainted panels' paint has less orange peel than they came with from the factory.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-05-2012 | 09:14 PM
dannyvxx
2nd Gear

I also got rear ended in the parking lot. My car's in the shop now getting work done. Progressive wouldn't pay for a new bumper but instead a reconditioned bumper. The engine lid was also damaged and tail light busted. Here's what it looked like today. I hope the paint matches and no sanding marks!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2012 | 09:29 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

But, I understand from the OP posts that this is not a "repair" or a "repaint" of the original bumper cover. The way I read the OP, the replacement is a brand new bumper cover. Or are the other posters remarks directed to if the bumper cover is a take-off and thus probably a different color already.

confused

Quick Reply: Finally got around to making an insurance claim for my rear bumper cover...