Ignition Switch Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Issue?

Started my car today and no AC (only 106 today in Scottsdale). The readouts on the AC Unit were normal, but no air blowing at all. However, when I turned off the car, air blew for a fraction of a second. So, I turned the key to the first position and voila! Air was blowing normally. Started the car and...no air blowing. I removed the key and opened the door and the Key in the Ignition message came on. Must be a bad ignition switch or maybe something else. Help please and thanks in advance as always,
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right, it's a bad ignition switch. Until you get it replaced, once you have started the car, move the key ever so slightly back to the left (when the switch goes, the key goes too far, and kills some of the electronics, including the AC). Once you move the key back ever so slightly, your AC should kick right in. I had it happen on a 996 I test drove before I bought mine. I think the indy quoted something $400 to get it fixed, but that's just a good guess, as there was about $3,500 worth of stuff that needed to get done on that one.

GL,

DS
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Those are symptoms of bad ignition switch. Mine was acting very similar with various number of accessories, including blower motor and heated seats, working somtimes and not others until I replaced it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks guys. Invius...turning the key back to the left did the trick and will buy me some time. Appreciate the quick responses.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM
robbc
6th Gear

Yep, ignition switch. My car had that issue until I replaced the switch.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 AM
vwillo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

easy DYI
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Porsche does not offer the old type switch any longer. The dealer will want to do the official fix. That is to replace the whole ign switch/lock assy for $$$$. If you are sure that yours has not had the update done, you can buy a switch from NAPA 4A0905849B for ~$15 and do it yourself in about 1 hour. Audi and VW also use the same switch.
Do a search for ign switch replacement. There are many DIY threads.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Excellent, glad it helped!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
daegucb
2nd Gear

fpb111, can you be specific on the DIY on the ignition swich on 2002 996? I tried the search engine on the site but came up with none...
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM
daegucb
2nd Gear

I had the exact same problem for awhile. I click it to left just slightly (a couple of times turned off completely though) to get all the electronics working. And, it had been fine for several months. And, it would be fine as long as that stayed that way. HOWEVER, now I am having starting problem. The engine doesn't start right away. Sometimes, especially it hasn't been driven over a day, it takes several agonizing attempts before it catches and starts. It's not worth it to go through this hectic procedure everytime I need to use the car. I am thinking of replacing the housing. But, I don't know how. I stopped by the dealdership and they wanted about $500 for it. I found $10 replacement part. And, I'm told that there are many DIY lists. I will try this. But, one question: Why does it take longer when it's not driven frequently??? Any opinions???
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It's a $10 audi part and by some accounts, a wear item that simply needs to be replaced every x0,000 miles. As it's a rather critical part, I bought a spare just to have on hand so I can replace it right away if it ever fails.

The light switch, on the other hand, is considerably more expensive. But you can take it apart and repair it if you're careful.

Originally Posted by daegucb
I had the exact same problem for awhile. I click it to left just slightly (a couple of times turned off completely though) to get all the electronics working. And, it had been fine for several months. And, it would be fine as long as that stayed that way. HOWEVER, now I am having starting problem. The engine doesn't start right away. Sometimes, especially it hasn't been driven over a day, it takes several agonizing attempts before it catches and starts. It's not worth it to go through this hectic procedure everytime I need to use the car. I am thinking of replacing the housing. But, I don't know how. I stopped by the dealdership and they wanted about $500 for it. I found $10 replacement part. And, I'm told that there are many DIY lists. I will try this. But, one question: Why does it take longer when it's not driven frequently??? Any opinions???
Sounds like you may also have either a failing battery, or the ignition switch is failing in such a way that some accessories remain on and are draining it.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Issue?