Sponsored by:

faulty courtesy and door light.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default faulty courtesy and door light.

Has anyone had trouble with the inside courtesy light and inside kerb light not coming on as either door is opened? I have a 1999 cab C2 and I am electrically challenged in DIY work on cars. I have checked and all fuses down by my left foot are good and all bulbs are working. I removed the inside cluster above the mirror and bridged across a couple of contacts and both door bulbs are working ok. I can put the two map lights and interior light on manually but when I put the switch in the middle position and open any door, nothing happens. Bearing in mind that I am thick when it comes to car electricals, I would appreciate the simplest form of explanation possible if you have any ideas for me to try. BTW this fault snuck past a PPI along with a faulty or broken fuel door release a year ago when I got the car. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

isn't the middle off?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by fpb111
isn't the middle off?
There are 3 seperate 3 position toggle switches. The left toggle switch controls the drivers map light. The right toggle switch controls the right passenger map light. The centre toggle switch controls the cabin light. When the toggles are to the right then all lights work ok manually. When the toggles are in the middle or to the left, nothing lights up anywhere including the courtesy door lights and centre cabin light when the doors are open. It doesnt matter which position the toggle is in, either center or left. So the middle toggle switch does not come on auto when the doors open no matter which position it is in. Only comes on maually pushed to the right. Hope that explains the situation better. So does anyone know what could be the matter here. I presume when all switches are in the middle, the inside light and the lights in the bottom of the doors should come on as either door is opened up. They dont'.. Bulbs are good and no fuses blown or missing. My previous post explains how I know this. I do wish I could get to the bottom of this with the help of you guys. It's been like this since I got the car over a year ago. BTW I bought another light cluster from ebay oh 10 months ago which never solved the problem and it cost me $100 to find that out.. Thanks..
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 PM
overbarg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-working.html
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it change when the key is in the ignition? When I got my car the interior lights wouldn't work until the key had been in the ignition. No lights when I would get in the car but function fine when I had driven the car. I had to have the dealer run the "new car delivery" program and all of the lights work correctly. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

3 switches in my 2003 = to left all OFF always, center ON with the doors open timed off when doors close, to the right always on.
The curb lights ignore the 3 switches. IE: all switches to LEFT curb lights still come on when doors are opened.
I haven't found a relay layout to see if there is a timed relay that is common to the interior\curb lights.

I read (can't find it in manual?) that the dealer can set the courtsey lights to stay on up to 120 seconds. I wonder if someone had the dealer set them to "0"?
The manual states that lights go off immediatly when car is locked and also when the key is inserted into the ign switch.
So ??ign switch failure of some kind, not unheard of?? Or lights think car is always locked even when it isn't.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by fpb111
3 switches in my 2003 = to left all OFF always, center ON with the doors open timed off when doors close, to the right always on.
The curb lights ignore the 3 switches. IE: all switches to LEFT curb lights still come on when doors are opened.
I haven't found a relay layout to see if there is a timed relay that is common to the interior\curb lights.

I read (can't find it in manual?) that the dealer can set the courtsey lights to stay on up to 120 seconds. I wonder if someone had the dealer set them to "0"?
The manual states that lights go off immediatly when car is locked and also when the key is inserted into the ign switch.
So ??ign switch failure of some kind, not unheard of?? Or lights think car is always locked even when it isn't.
A lot of 'food for thought' there thanks..
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either your door latch is faulty, or the door control module somehow lost its coding.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Did you try having the dealer run the new car delivery flash on it?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Either your door latch is faulty, or the door control module somehow lost its coding.
Seeing as how either door when opening should bring on both the inside center courtesy and doors lights, how can I tell which door latch is at fault? In the same vein, which of the two doors contains the module? Or is the module somewhere other than inside the actual door?

Did you try having the dealer run the new car delivery flash on it?

Not as yet but I will ring the Porsche dealer and ask how much they would charge for that service.
Thanks for all replies.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman

Not as yet but I will ring the Porsche dealer and ask how much they would charge for that service.
Thanks for all replies.
"When he has sight of that lettering, Quite a bit!"
Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
"When he has sight of that lettering, Quite a bit!"
LOL... very funny haha....If he estimates charges over the odds then I will use the inside light manually.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If when you open the driver's door, the lights on the passenger door come on, but not the lights on the driver's door, it is a coding issue. The dealer will need to run "vehicle handover" on the PIWIS to correct it.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

OK got the problem resolved at a Porsche Garage with them using thier testers in the special menu part of the diagosis. The alarm modual underneath the drivers seat had slipped into 'Transit Mode' All inside lights and gas door working as they should now thanks to you guys and especially Richard Hamilton in the UK. Total cost was under $80 and that included a small plastic part for the locking gas door which was missing anyway. What a great feeling to know that everything is working as it should now on my car. I wait ubtil it is dark in the garage and go in and use the remote JUST to watch the lights come on inside the cab. hahaha. I am like a kid with a new toy.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

Dumb question; what does this do, exactly? Do we have separate bulbs for DRL?

on my 09 CTTS, I was able to turn on DRLs throughly the PCM In the dash, I believe. which I believe turns on the normal headlight bulbs whenever the car is on. (Maybe if I apply the parking brake they turn off / cinema mode / haven’t checked).

I haven’t noticed dimming issues at night (I don’t have to turn the headlights “on” (again?) to dim the instrument lights.

for me this seems li

so this auto feature would effectively do nothing different… other than not turn on the lights during the day (and only at night) right? Or what would it do?

thanks!

Last edited by Crozzer; 07-04-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: faulty courtesy and door light.