Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Parking Lot Collision... How would you repair this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, just take to a repair shop and get an estimate to submit to her insurance company.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

You need to find the right repair shop. There are guys that are so good at fixing dents and painting that they are literally artists. These are specialty shops and are not your usual assembly line operations. If you find one of those guys, you will never see the repair without a paint meter. I would keep photos of the damage and if I sold the car, in the interest of full disclosure I would show the buyer the photos and receipts for repair. Body repair/paint techniques have come a long way and unless the car is almost new, the repainting of a body panel does not have to be a negative.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

For future reference, the top PDR guy I have personally known and used for well over 10 years has apparently moved out to Calgary area, so let me know if you do need PDR work in the future and I'll track down his info.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Sorry I am in so late, but I somehow missed this thread when you first posted. If you have not already fixed it, I have an opinion based on first hand experience with a similar hit in a similar spot with similar amount of damage.

I took the car to three body shops:
1. Body shop number one would bondo the hole and repaint the fender and then blend across the hood, bumper and door (but recommended I also do the opposite fender and door to make certain it all blended).
2. Body shop number two would replace the complete fender with a new part, paint the fender and blend through the door, hood, and bumper.
3. Body shop number three would carefully removed the wheel and inner fender lining, and then carefully work the metal back out, thus returning the gaps to their normal thickness because the metal was back in its proper place, then polish and wax the car. No paint necessary.

In case you can't figure it out, I chose door number three, and the car is flawless, with no trace of the work. And no overspray inside the cut lines.
My "depression" was larger and deeper than yours - about the size of a basketball, right behind the left front wheel, from the corner of the rear bumper of a large pickup truck.

Shop around, and shop wisely.

FYI, the insurance company recommended shop number one. My Porsche friends suggested shop number two. Shop number three I have used many times before for this and other cars. They would normally be the most expensive for identical work, but they were vastly less expensive for this repair than the "assembly line" compaines offered up by others, largely because they REPAIRED the dent, rather than HIDE it.

I hope you have a happy ending to your story, as well.

Quick Reply: Parking Lot Collision... How would you repair this?