LWFW users - question please

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LWFW users - question please

So for all you people using the AASCO light weight flywheel:

1) are you using a spring centred clutch disc or a rigid disc?

2) If your using the rigid disc then how does it behave?

Thanks for your help here!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Using Sachs sport clutch package with the AASCO flywheel. The PP let go last summer after 2 years of racing in 2 series (NASA & POC), but the clutch disc still looked new so I reused the disc and just replaced the PP and TO bearing. It's working just fine thank you....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Using Sachs sport clutch package with the AASCO flywheel. The PP let go last summer after 2 years of racing in 2 series (NASA & POC), but the clutch disc still looked new so I reused the disc and just replaced the PP and TO bearing. It's working just fine thank you....
Thanks JR - wow - reusing a clutch disc is hard core. That said, my prressure plate just failed and the disc looked fine also.

Forgive my ignorance here but I believe the SACHS sport clutch spring centred isn't it?

I guess I could have included more detail. I'm wondering if I can/should run the LWFW with a rigid OEM clutch disc? Mostly street, some AX and some track.

The official line is that the spring centred disc is "recommended" but not strictly necessary.

thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

My SPEC stage 2+ throw out bearing just failed after less than 10k miles. It took out the pressure plate and fork. I am upgrading all to the Sachs sport parts. I still love the Aasco LWFW. My Spec clutch was spring centered and the Sachs sport unit that I ordered is spring centered also (you must specify spring centered when ordering).
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mfletch
My SPEC stage 2+ throw out bearing just failed after less than 10k miles. It took out the pressure plate and fork. I am upgrading all to the Sachs sport parts. I still love the Aasco LWFW. My Spec clutch was spring centered and the Sachs sport unit that I ordered is spring centered also (you must specify spring centered when ordering).
Thanks for that. Can you advise where I might best order this kit from?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

You are welcome. My Sachs clutch etc. was ordered from a dealer only supply company. I know that Pelican parts has it. You might also try Sunset or Suncoast Porsche for the best price. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went the Aasco / Sachs sport component route prior to the engine going kaboom. There was no correlation between the two events however - the LWF had nothing to do with engine expiring. I bought the Sachs components from Pelican. It was all installed by Vertex in Miami who installed the clutch backwards. I was told by others that it isn't clearly marked. Can't personally say for sure as I wouldn't know how to tell but you might want to check beforehand if you are doing it yourself. Then again Vertex might be even more incompetent than I thought. Good luck with it!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996c2
I went the Aasco / Sachs sport component route prior to the engine going kaboom. There was no correlation between the two events however - the LWF had nothing to do with engine expiring. I bought the Sachs components from Pelican. It was all installed by Vertex in Miami who installed the clutch backwards. I was told by others that it isn't clearly marked. Can't personally say for sure as I wouldn't know how to tell but you might want to check beforehand if you are doing it yourself. Then again Vertex might be even more incompetent than I thought. Good luck with it!
Interesting story.

I will be vigilant about how I install that clutch disc. Let's give Vertex the benefit of the doubt.

I ended up ordering a sport pressure plate and spring centred clutch disc from AASCO. Basically the price as Pelican - $1100 for the two parts.

Thanks for you help everyone.

The moral of the story is to cough up the extra $ for the spring centred clutch disc. The sport pressure plate is probably not needed and I'm hoping I don't regret the extra pedal effort.

The spring centre provides a little bit of harmonic vibration damping that is lost when the Dual Mass Flywheel is abandoned.

It also may help with the rattling and with ease of clutch releae...time will tell.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once its all in together please give us a review. I am looking for a clutch now, and i am not sure i am sold on a LWFW. I absolutely hate the sound it makes on other cars, (non Porsche). Hopefully it does not make that much noise and i may considerate. On the plus side i do hear the Sachs parts are the way to go.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why is the SACHS better... the OEM is pretty tough as it is... I hear the SACHS SPORT clutch kit is tougher but do you really need it...? (even if your tracking)

or is the SACHS SPORT clutch kit required for use with a LWFW because of of the extra hp and torque that is freed up by the LWFW....
Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tbred911
why is the SACHS better... the OEM is pretty tough as it is... I hear the SACHS SPORT clutch kit is tougher but do you really need it...? (even if your tracking)

or is the SACHS SPORT clutch kit required for use with a LWFW because of of the extra hp and torque that is freed up by the LWFW....
Q1: SACHS is OEM - the question is moot.

Q2: The sports pressure plate clamps 24% more than the stock pressure plate. Yes, this is unnecessary unless you're really beating on it, but the sport pressure plate is barely $200 more than the stock pressure plate, so no big deal.

Q3: The sport clutch is not required for the LWFW - but a spring centred clutch disc is (pretty much). That means that the OEM clutch replacement kit, which comes with a rigid clutch disc, is contra indicated. Since you then have to buy the clutch disc and pressure plate loose, you have to make a choice between a stock pressure plate or a sport pressure plate. See answer to Q2.

Q4: The LWFW does not unlock any more power so, no, the installation of a LWFW does not directly indicate the need for more clamping force provided by a sport pressure plate. The LWFW will give faster throttle response. The main downside is that the damping effect provided by the dual mass flywheel is lost, which can lead to engine damage from harmonic vibration and which can cause a (harmless) rattling noise from the transmission. The spring centred clutch disc mitigates these negative effects. See Q2 and Q3.

That's what I understand anyway...

Quick Reply: LWFW users - question please