Sponsored by:

What do you think of my fuzzy magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

When is your next oil change

I assume this is the only real way you gonna know for sure, unless some other magnetic plug fellow chime in.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I have changed my oil every 5k miles since 36k miles.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough. My car has over 117k miles and this is the first oil change(5k miles ago) since I've installed the magnetic plug. So what you see is 117k miles of metals finally being caught by this magnet over the past 5k miles.
Is this really true though? Wouldn't the bulk of these shavings have been captured into the filter by now?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Is this really true though? Wouldn't the bulk of these shavings have been captured into the filter by now?
He could have 117K miles worth of small metal wear particles that reside in the crevices of the sump plate.

To the OP:

I wouldn't worry too much about the debris on the magnet until you check the oil filter. If the filter has a bunch of metal in it then I would be concerned.

At your next oil change, I would remove the sump plate and see what you find sitting in the bottom of it. Check the oil baffles to make sure they are ok, clean the oil pump screen free of debris if there is any, and then put it back together with fresh oil. That's what I intend to do during my next change.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Yes, metal particles. I wiped half off for reference.
My LN mag plug always has what I would describe as "metalic hairs" on it. Before I rebuilt the engine the hairs were thicker than after the rebuild. Your debris is thicker than I have ever had but I can't judge the size from your photo. If you touched it with your bare finger is it smaller than a salt granule? I would very carefully inspect your oil filter with a magnet & repeat all this in 1-2 thousand miles including removing sump plate.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

This is ferromagnetic "fuzz". It is attracted to the MCD of the IMS Guardian but that amount more than likely would not have triggered an IMS Alert. The IMSG may have begun to emit a very faint squeal, thus telling the driver that the engine had ferromagnetic particles present. These particles can mean you went too long between oil services, or that you have elevated wear metals in the engine. The difference between a full blown IMS Alert and the sound that is emitted when ferromagnetic fuzz has accumulated is like night and day. I designed this into the system from day one.

The IMSG was designed around a 5,000 mile oil service interval, specifically. It is very critical that these service intervals be followed.

Based on what I see in this picture the oil would be about normal for an 8-10,000 mile service interval, but the material looks to be heavily laden with the materials that we typically see come from worn camshafts or lifters and even timing chains.

I'd clean that magnet and run a short service interval of 2500 miles to see how much accumulates and then report back. Or you can monitor the condition from the driver's seat using my IMS Guardian system :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do I get one of these plugs?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This is ferromagnetic "fuzz". It is attracted to the MCD of the IMS Guardian but that amount more than likely would not have triggered an IMS Alert. The IMSG may have begun to emit a very faint squeal, thus telling the driver that the engine had ferromagnetic particles present. The difference between a full blown IMS Alert and the sound that is emitted when ferromagnetic fuzz has accumulated is like night and day. I designed this into the system from day one.
So is the TEST sound when you press the button on the Guardian, the full blown alert volume? If not, and the alarm is louder, that would be a nice feature. The test tone is pretty quiet, IMHO. If I saw that amount of metal fuzz on my LN Magnetic Drain plug, I would have **** a brick. I had mine for 2 oil changes prior to installing the IMS Guardian, and never had a bit of anything on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

<removed by author>

Quick Reply: What do you think of my fuzzy magnet?