Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My mechanic is stumped. Need help from Rennlisters Please.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 PM
dusandimic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mechanic is stumped. Need help from Rennlisters Please.........

2003 c2 6mt w/ 41k on the clock.

First the car would die at idle sitting at a light . After a minute it would start back up and go with no issues. This happened once a day for three days.

On the fourth day the RPM's at idle would start to fluctuate between 700 and 1300.
This would go on for about a minute and then power would start to cut in and out while in gear at cruising speed and then die. Check engine light would come on at this point.

After a minute would start back up.

This would always happen about 10 minutes after initial start or right about when it got to operating temp.

My mechanic which has over 20 years experience with P-cars originally thought it was the crank sensor. Replaced it and reset the codes.

Picked up the car and went for a fairly spirited drive that evening redlining first three gears a few times. Car felt great with no problems whatsoever.

On the drive to work the next day same thing happened again! Rough idle, engine cuts out, check engine light comes on. Went back to shop and they're trying to figure it out.

The hourly rate for diagnosis is killing me!!!!!!!

Has this happened to anyone before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Post the codes.

check fuel delivery....pump, hoses
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 177 Posts

Idle control valve?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF?

Originally Posted by dusandimic
2003 c2 6mt w/ 41k on the clock.

First the car would die at idle sitting at a light . After a minute it would start back up and go with no issues. This happened once a day for three days.

On the fourth day the RPM's at idle would start to fluctuate between 700 and 1300.
This would go on for about a minute and then power would start to cut in and out while in gear at cruising speed and then die. Check engine light would come on at this point.

After a minute would start back up.

This would always happen about 10 minutes after initial start or right about when it got to operating temp.

My mechanic which has over 20 years experience with P-cars originally thought it was the crank sensor. Replaced it and reset the codes.

Picked up the car and went for a fairly spirited drive that evening redlining first three gears a few times. Car felt great with no problems whatsoever.

On the drive to work the next day same thing happened again! Rough idle, engine cuts out, check engine light comes on. Went back to shop and they're trying to figure it out.

The hourly rate for diagnosis is killing me!!!!!!!

Has this happened to anyone before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

had similar - not exact problem - long story short it was this rubber that was slightly off - had been sucked in by intake (see photo where I'm pointing w screw driver) - and thus it was getting too much air, giving readings about vario cam timing being off (very hard to really happen) and causing stall at low speed/idle but fine aboe 2k rpm. hope it helps. can reach it without engine drop altho that's the only way we found it. ie the part of the intake behind the plenum.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Good post above.

Yuo might need to check the wire continuity to the crank sensor?

Only suggesting because the car ran great for a time then symptoms reaccured.

Best of luck,
Paul
Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

also check your fuel, I'd say run the tank off , add some additive like techron
and fill her up at a reputable gas station that see decent amount of traffic (gas not sitting).

I had some idle problem once when I made a bad fillup at a not so great gas station.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 AM
HiWind
Race Car

So any news mic?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Just a suggestion here but as you have already changed the CPS and you are still having the same problem, have you checked for any horizontal play in the crankshaft? <just a thought>
Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnect maf. And run like that for a day. Will rule that out at least. Leak in vacuum hose somewhere would also be possible cause......
Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
dusandimic
Intermediate

********Update******

Timing was consistently off with cam and cranks sensor error codes. Conensus is the IMS is about gone. Hopefully no engine damage is done but we obviously won't know until he opens it up. Luckily I bought a warranty for the engine when I got the car a year ago. New bearing from LN has been ordered. I will have to pay for the difference in price and shop supplies which is not that much. Fingers crossed on the condition of the motor.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Best of luck to you! I am not a fan of aftermarket warranties, but it seems like this time it really is going to pay off.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 PM
HiWind
Race Car

It sounds alot like what I said above. You'll be ok. Look at engine carefully re intake etc... B4 opening anything. I think you can see that sheath w/o paying 4 hrs for the drop.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

and there were no symptoms of marbles in can noise?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
dusandimic
Intermediate

None at all. It was running fine.

Quick Reply: My mechanic is stumped. Need help from Rennlisters Please.........