Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Koni FDS's Installed (Initial Impression)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 AM
SLVRBLT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni FDS's Installed (Initial Impression)

As promised

Picked up the car today and took an extended ride on the way home which included a very nice mix of roads.

The mechanic informed me that I do in fact have lowering springs on the car, they are H&R, but was unable to see the part # on the attached tag. This confirmed the measurements I took after reading about it here. This place is great!

What a difference in ride. I covered nearly 80 miles of assorted tarmac on the way home. The 996 seems to like her new legs a lot.

They seem to be firm, yet compliant enough for those who use your car as a DD. It now soaks up those annoying bridge expansion joints in a smooth non jarring manor. I'm not speaking of the ones you catch air off of though. I estimate 50 miles of the trip was assorted twisty roads with some very nice esses, long sweepers, off camber, and cambered turns . After all that is why i bought a 996. I also threw in a few extra trips through the local double round about. She stuck like glue and the Koni's handled the continuous outside lateral load with ease providing good feedback.

The twisty stuff was a complete joy! The 2-stage valving worked very well at speed. I was able to average a constant speed of nearly 70 MPH on my test loop so I could get plenty of feedback for you guys that do like to wind it up a lil in the twisty's. They provide plenty of stiffness to handle abrupt directional changes while keeping the nose from rolling/dipping in a non confidence inspiring way. They did well at keeping the rubber in contact with the road over the mid-turn bumps and other imperfections of public roads. The only time I had a moment is when I encountered a very hard dip at a apex that was not present my last time I did my loop. Not scary, but a suprise moment that caught me off guard. The Koni's recovered quite nicely and the Silver Bullet motored on. On the newly finished roads the Koni's were absolutely flawless. I never reached the tire squalling stage of traction at any point although it did not feel like I was even pushing it very hard.

They may be a touch too soft for some as that will always be the case when trying to please everyone. Overall for what I need and have experienced they are as close to being built for me as I could ask for.

The 993 guys inputs were very helpful in my decision and I think they will perform pretty well on the track for a new to the track guy. I think they will do fine for the occasional AX folks as well.

I hope this write up is somewhat helpful for those of you in the market for new non coil over type suspension. I guess I am the 996 test dummy

*** I will report back after I test her on the track with some more inputs***

A
Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

That is great to hear and I'm glad the selective dampening isn't such a marketing ploy.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I wish they had them for C4's. But I went with the PSS10's some time ago.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVRBLT
As promised

Picked up the car today and took an extended ride on the way home which included a very nice mix of roads.

The mechanic informed me that I do in fact have lowering springs on the car, they are H&R, but was unable to see the part # on the attached tag. This confirmed the measurements I took after reading about it here. This place is great!

What a difference in ride. I covered nearly 80 miles of assorted tarmac on the way home. The 996 seems to like her new legs a lot.

They seem to be firm, yet compliant enough for those who use your car as a DD. It now soaks up those annoying bridge expansion joints in a smooth non jarring manor. I'm not speaking of the ones you catch air off of though. I estimate 50 miles of the trip was assorted twisty roads with some very nice esses, long sweepers, off camber, and cambered turns . After all that is why i bought a 996. I also threw in a few extra trips through the local double round about. She stuck like glue and the Koni's handled the continuous outside lateral load with ease providing good feedback.

The twisty stuff was a complete joy! The 2-stage valving worked very well at speed. I was able to average a constant speed of nearly 70 MPH on my test loop so I could get plenty of feedback for you guys that do like to wind it up a lil in the twisty's. They provide plenty of stiffness to handle abrupt directional changes while keeping the nose from rolling/dipping in a non confidence inspiring way. They did well at keeping the rubber in contact with the road over the mid-turn bumps and other imperfections of public roads. The only time I had a moment is when I encountered a very hard dip at a apex that was not present my last time I did my loop. Not scary, but a suprise moment that caught me off guard. The Koni's recovered quite nicely and the Silver Bullet motored on. On the newly finished roads the Koni's were absolutely flawless. I never reached the tire squalling stage of traction at any point although it did not feel like I was even pushing it very hard.

They may be a touch too soft for some as that will always be the case when trying to please everyone. Overall for what I need and have experienced they are as close to being built for me as I could ask for.

The 993 guys inputs were very helpful in my decision and I think they will perform pretty well on the track for a new to the track guy. I think they will do fine for the occasional AX folks as well.

I hope this write up is somewhat helpful for those of you in the market for new non coil over type suspension. I guess I am the 996 test dummy

*** I will report back after I test her on the track with some more inputs***

A
how is the steering response with the KONI FSD installed... what is your impression of the setup these days?

Quick Reply: Koni FDS's Installed (Initial Impression)