Sponsored by:

DCT Motorsports T96 sport steering wheel installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Scats
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCT Motorsports T96 sport steering wheel installed

In March I picked up my first Porsche. My first weeks of ownership have been nothing short of remarkable. I made a few quick modifications to the car including oem clear side markers, fabspeed intake, and hardwired my V1. Next on the list is to do the pse muffler hack. This would seem to wrap up phase 1 nicely of modifications.

But, one issue I wanted to resolve with the interior was the steering wheel. Not only did the oem steering wheel feel a little thin for me but also based on my seating position the bottom of the wheel was very close to my legs. I was looking for a steering wheel that was thicker, slightly smaller in diameter, and that was as close to oem looking as possible.

I ended up picking up the new DCT Motorsports T96 sport steering wheel.

Side by side comparison.

After installing the airbag bracket.

Installed.

I am extremely pleased with DCT Motorsports T96 sport steering wheel. It has definitely exceeded my expectations. This is not a modified oem wheel, rather a purpose built aftermarket steering wheel. The fit and finish is near oem. By utilizing the oem airbag, you would have to know what you are looking at to think it did not come installed from the factory. The combination of the smaller diameter and flat bottom give me the extra space I was looking for.

Thanks to Ivan at DCT Motorsports for working with me on the purchase and quick delivery.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 AM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, Scats! I am going to look into this.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
debo2k3
Advanced

The leather color looks kinda grey comparing to the original leather color. Congrats on your new wheel.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

How do you like the smaller diameter wheel? Great for the track where steering input is quicker. Was that your intention?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Scats
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hardback
How do you like the smaller diameter wheel? Great for the track where steering input is quicker. Was that your intention?
It was more for comfort. Based on my seating position the bottom of the oem wheel was very close to my legs and the combination of the smaller diameter and flat bottom took care of that issue.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

very nice... do they have diff color options.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Scats
Advanced

Originally Posted by redridge
very nice... do they have diff color options.
I would say to contact them directly. They show many different styles and colors on their website.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 PM
cinellipro
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to resurrect this thread. Installed the DCTMS T96 in Metropol Blue steering wheel. White stitching and white leather strip.

Last edited by cinellipro; 09-22-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

That is a very nice looking and tasteful mod. Looks factory. If you don't mind me asking, what's the total $$ outlay to do this?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 PM
cinellipro
Instructor

Mine was an upgrade from the 4 spoke "trans am" wheel so it was quite a transformation to the interior. $850 for steering wheel. $450 for used airbag. $108 for airbag support bracket and 5 torx screws.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very tastefully done!

Enjoy
Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

This is on my wish list, it looks great. I definitely need the extra arm/leg room for auto-x but want to keep an airbag. I'd love to know how well the black matches the rest of the interior and how well it matches the airbag material. Black interiors don't always photo well.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:36 PM
cinellipro
Instructor

I can only speak about Metropol blue, but in person and bright sunlight there is a slight variation in hue and this may be due to the airbag being vinyl and the steering wheel being leather. However, if I look around my interior I also see many shades. Not sure if the variation is due to material texture or color hue, but my Metropol blue interior has a matching leather dashboard, A & B & C pillars, but has black in the vertical console, a speckled blue around the air vents and console surround, a different shade of blue on the center console, a different shade of blue for the ignition surround, a different blue on the shifter boot with a matching emergency brake lever, and a different leather blue on my seats. And since the back seats have had zero wear the blue is slightly off the front seat blue. And the carpet, I don’t know what to say about that. But I can confirm that according the build option sticker found on the lid of the frunk it is Metropol blue. One thing I might recommend is sending the airbag to DCTMS to match the hue scaling of the wheel. Also, google DCTMS T96 and you’ll many pictures of the steering wheel in black interiors on Rennlist and 6speedonline.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

That wheel looks great. It reminds me of the new wheels found in the Audi S-Line vehicles.

Leather color is hard to match, especially on older cars. I replaced the steering wheel in my old C4S with an OEM wheel in Natural Brown Leather. It didn't match very well because the 12 year-old leather in the rest of the car had darkened over time and with UV exposure. It was really noticeable comparing the new leather on the wheel with the old leather on my airbag cover. The wheel slowly began to match the rest of the leather over the course of the next couple of years.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

I just installed this wheel this summer also, exact same looking one in black leather. Love the smaller diameter and extra thick wheel. Only thing is, if you have a vinyl leather, it might not match the wheel leather well. If you have a leather covered airbag then it should look OEM.

Quick Reply: DCT Motorsports T96 sport steering wheel installed