Sponsored by:

My turn IMS pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
Would the IMS Guardian pick up such fine debris and alarm?, of does it only sound when the bearing really starts to break up?
Yes.

On another note:
We saved this one this week. Zero IMS failure symptoms, no noise, no oil leak- Pulled the flange as standard procedure and found this. This was a dual row also, if it was a single row it never would have gone this far without grenading.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 PM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>> We saved this one this week.
How much time or many miles do you thing this had left roughly?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Jake....Or how many miles were on the clock when you checked this one out? Also were there any fine metal found in the filter? Also why were you checking it in the first place? There has to be a better reason reason the 'Just standerd procedure'. Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they were about to upgrade the bearing to the LN
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
roperin
Track Day

Ok, I understand that it happens, but what about Oil analysis? I change the oil now at 5000 miles, 0-40 Mobil One. I have Blackstone do an oil analysis, nothing shows as yet at 43,000 miles. Do you think that this procedure will do at least as good a job as the Guardian addition? After all a Mass Spectrometer will show minor levels of wear from races , at a level impossible to see by visual inspection or a device meant to attract and warn of excessive wear. I am convinced it takes at least five thousand to ten thousand miles for the bearing to go from showing minor wear and the oil analysis showing excessive levels of wear to the failure point. I know that probably isn't documented and maybe changes in each circumstance but i still think Oil Analysis is way better than anything else. What say?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by roperin
Ok, I understand that it happens, but what about Oil analysis? I change the oil now at 5000 miles, 0-40 Mobil One. I have Blackstone do an oil analysis, nothing shows as yet at 43,000 miles. Do you think that this procedure will do at least as good a job as the Guardian addition? After all a Mass Spectrometer will show minor levels of wear from races , at a level impossible to see by visual inspection or a device meant to attract and warn of excessive wear. I am convinced it takes at least five thousand to ten thousand miles for the bearing to go from showing minor wear and the oil analysis showing excessive levels of wear to the failure point. I know that probably isn't documented and maybe changes in each circumstance but i still think Oil Analysis is way better than anything else. What say?
What's the point in avoiding the Guardian as a primary level feedback (early warning) system? Years ago I used to work on reciprocating and jet aircraft engines, and as I recall, every reciprocating and jet aircraft engine has a first stage warning device like The Guardian to warn about possible ferrous metal detections in the oil. Heck, some aircraft have one in gearbox as well. Oil analysis was a secondary process conducted at scheduled periods of maintenance or when metals detections occurred in a first stage warning and does not give more immediate warning of an eminent critical part failure.

In my opinion The Guardian is just a plain common sense good idea regardless of whether the concern is the IMSB. It dawns on my mind now that all high-end automobiles where the stakes for potential catastrophic failure, that could lead to complete engine or gearbox failure, should include such a device as a feedback system much the same way they do by providing idiot lights that tell operators to check the engine for less critical parts like failing O2 sensors, and or to change oil or warn of low oil.

Again... just my opinion.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Jake, thanks for posting the video. You owe me a new keyboard- I just lost my breakfast!

Quick Reply: My turn IMS pic