Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Buying Advice 2002 60k miles for 25k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Last week, I bought a cream puff one owner 01 Carrera with full maintenance documentation and a clean carfax for $18k. The only negative is the car had 110k miles. The car is in beautiful condition and is as tight as a drum.
WOW!!! That is a good buyWith that kind of documentation, 110K miles is very reasonable. Goes to show you if you are patient, and have the cash in hand, good deals come around all the time, you just got to be ready
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
dsowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that price is in the ballpark, so it's a decent deal if you like it and it all checks out. PPI is critical and it is important to have some or all records. Also, if you've been looking and have a sense of the current market, then I'd say trust your gut instinct. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
fivepointnine
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Your description roughly fits my car in terms of mileage, condition, and service history (including one relatively minor body/paint repair). Having said that I also have a bunch of nice options, and that I think might be the difference if all else, like the PPI, checks out. If the car has some decent options, such as Bi-Xenons, Bose, PSM, or full leather, $25k might be a very good deal. If the car has minimal options then $25k may be just about right.

I am also skeptical of adhering strictly to anyone's valuation guides. Porsches are so rare (relative to Hondas and Fords), that these numbers are only good in a very broad sense. They are probably accurate for newer models, but once you get around 10 years old all bets are off. With the wide variety of mileage, condition, and options spread around a relatively small number of cars the relevant question "is this a good deal,"is perhaps more like, "is this what I am able and willing to pay for this specific car."

Good luck!
agreed about the valuation guides, they just are not accurate for Porsche's.....if someone is selling one cheap (like a 01 for 18k) 90% of the time there is something hiding on it..........or you are in the right place at the right time with someone who is DESPERATE to sell (18k for a 996 is CRAZY cheap in my area)

or you might be in a saturated car market like SoCal/Vegas/bay area where a Porsche is on every corner for sale
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shops

Heyer. Performance in mountain view is worth the drive... further south id highly recommend flintworks in Campbell ..also had recommendation for don wise. First thing id do is join porsche club .. pca. ..sign up for autocross school or go to one of their other events and ask some of the other owners that live close to you for shop recommendation. I looked around San Mateo but couldn't find one better than heyer. In sf or east bay others may be able to recommend.

For rear deck accident .. that is probably ok if repaired at porsche approved shop. As long as ppi doesn't see any structural damage or paint issues fact it was repaired long time ago is probably ok. Mine had carfax with front fender repair .. but I didn't have any issues related to that ....

Autospa did great job on wheels .. they run discount deals in mercury news from time to time so look out for that. Paint work was ok ... but you might be able to find better ..... depends how much u want to pay .. could also just get the Dr. Color. Chip system and do your own .. that works pretty well ....
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
$25k is fair if in PERFECT condition. Known body work done would knock the price down for me. I wouldn't pay over $22k for it. However, as many say what's 10% one way or the other!?
Have to agree largely because a new model has already been launched and resale on 997 and 996 will take a hit very soon. I would be skeptical that this car could hold $25K for long. That's if he's even had many other offers in this territory recently.
OP, has he?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Not sure the 996 are gonna take a much bigger hit. The 997 definitely will. The 996 has pretty much I think hit the bottom a year or so again are holding up pretty well overall. I still see 99s asking in the low 20s for lower miles and in the higher teens for the higher miles and most mkII in the mid to higher 20s. I'd be interested in an mkII with under 60k and clutch, rms, ims and stuff like done for up to $27k.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
felsyeh
Intermediate

Got it today! My almost 7 month long search has ended.

Thanks for all of the advice! Got the PPI done at Heyer Perfomance in Mountain View and Tony was great. Seller was really easy to work with and knew how to take care of his 996. Not sure if you're on here Mike, but thanks!

I'm thinking about getting the Fister D muffler mod done this weekend, throwing some Hankook V12s on in a few weeks, and getting a detail done / curb rash fixed.

Any advice on other first mods?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will second the Fister mod. I have it on my 99 C2 coupe and it sounds great!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Congrats to you!! Hope to be the next one up.... Thinking between targa or turbo but leaning towards the targa and keep the difference in the bank. First mod would be upgrade the stereo system. Porsche oem stuff is junk in my opinion. Try and get a navi with iphone/ipod and bluetooth...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! paid $24,995 for my 2002 ~60k miles back in November.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

That's a darn good price kahdmus... What options did your come with?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PcarDrmr
That's a darn good price kahdmus... What options did your come with?
My mech thought so too.

After driving 964's so long, I'm not sure what's standard kit vs. optional on a 996 still tbh. Having a cup holder still feels like a guilty pleasure!

Car is 6-speed C4 cab, leather, trip computer, electric seats, CD-changer, side air-bags (but I think these are standard). Oh, it has beautiful looking, but a PITA to clean Porsche-design rims that aren't standard.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 AM
felsyeh
Intermediate

Thanks! Car came with a Kenwood popout nav / bluetooth. After pushing the car a bit I'm liking the stock Porsche exhaust note. How big of an improvement is the fister d mod?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

My buddy has the fister d mod and it sounds 100x better than stock. It makes the exhaust sound the PSE and how the flat six should come out of the factory. That's gonna be my first mod when I pick up a car. I may just have a local muffler shop do the mod they usually charge about $100...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The FisterD or the MkII hack, both are a huge improvement. You get some rasp and burble, and zero negative side effects. FisterD is louder, and looks more difficult for the average shopt to do. I had the MKII hack done with 2.25 SS pipes. Love it.

Quick Reply: 996 Buying Advice 2002 60k miles for 25k?