Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Buying Advice 2002 60k miles for 25k?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 PM
felsyeh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Buying Advice 2002 60k miles for 25k?

I'm looking at my first p-car and getting close to purchasing from a local private owner. I have not done a PPI yet, but that will be my next step if I move forward.

It has the following:
  • Under 60k miles
  • LN Engineering IMS
  • New clutch
  • New AOS
  • Needs new rear tires, 50% fronts
  • Some scratches on body and some rashing on wheels

My offer of 24k got countered to 25k, what do you guys think?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With the limited info you provided it sounds pretty decent. Only a PPI will tell.

The owner may have a similar mentality to mine. I drive my car almost daily (might take the truck if it's my turn to drive to lunch), and I don't really sweat small cosmetic imperfections.

I have never rashed a wheel (knocks on wood) but my car has various scratches on it.

However, I maintain my vehicle's mechanical components like the best of them.

Most of what I have replaced has been preventative so that I can enjoy my car every day. Seems like the seller is "cut from the same cloth"

Happy hunting. It's part of the fun.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM
felsyeh
Intermediate

Yes the car looked cosmetically in good shape, drove well and it seemed like the owner did his homework and got all the above preventative maintenance done.

I've been looking for a few months now, but have been looking more at 02-03 c4s when I stumbled upon this car. Is 25k for an 02 c2 on the low or high end pricing wise?
Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

That seems like a decent deal. I know potentially a 02 C4S with 77K miles for sale at $29.5K but still on original clutch and IMS but new tires.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

That sounds like a pretty good deal provided that the car is clean title and not salvaged. From my experience looking around here in seatlle area, that would be a great price on a clean title car with clutch and ims stuff already done. I've seen older cars 99-01 asking for that with same mileage or higher and no clutch done yet. Is it highly optioned? color? interior? Remember when looking that these cars, they are 10+ year old cars so you want one that was driven rather than stored so its lubricated and at 60k miles it was driven but not over driven which is good. Rear tires will probably just run you about $400 for the pair installed. You won't have to worry about doing a clutch if it was already done and its even better if the ims was also done that would save you the headache and worries that us guys looking at getting into a used 996 with original clutch will have to deal with since that would run you another $2500-$3000. So you would pretty much be picking up that car at $22k if you had to do the work that had already be done. That would definitely be a steal. If your looking at the C4 or C4s those are great cars but their price point will easily be in the low to mid $30s and come with the same engine and power but more weight. If you need the four wheel drive for the winter then you might want to go with the c4. As long as the bumper is not hanging off and there are no large dents then the paint will just need to be buffed and polished out. Remember it isn't a new car and if you want a perfect car that would be a brand new one. If you pass on this car. PM the info I'll take a drive somewhere. If its in Seattle or Oregon even better.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by felsyeh
Yes the car looked cosmetically in good shape, drove well and it seemed like the owner did his homework and got all the above preventative maintenance done.

I've been looking for a few months now, but have been looking more at 02-03 c4s when I stumbled upon this car. Is 25k for an 02 c2 on the low or high end pricing wise?
My back of the envelop calculation indicates the price is a bit high. But not that high.

Roughly, take the dealer's cost of the car (I use 87% of a car's list price not including destination charge, or any additional dealer markup) and then subtract 10% for when the was sold and another 10% when next year's model came out.

IOWs, the car depreciates 10% per year from the price the dealer paid for the car. I used $75K for the dealer's cost, which might be high, probably is high, for I seem to recall coming across a very nice very low miles used 02 996 (just a few months after I had already bought my new 02 Boxster in Jan 02) and I do not think the MSRP was $75K.

Of course various forces can affect the above depreciation curve.

Or visit www.kbb.com or www.nada.com or similar sites and plug in the numbers and see what trade in, private sale, dealer sale numbers come up for the car of interest.

I like to operate on the assumption that the car is worth somewhere between its trade in value to, well, as high as I want to go.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting tactic to make an offer on the car pre- PPI, then negotiate over $1k. If the car passes PPI and you have crossed all the other cars off of your list, then buy it.

Excellent has a good buyers guide; http://www.excellence-mag.com/resour...ide/1041874889

But you should do your homework (PPI, pricing guides, etc) before starting the negotiations.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

I've looked at excellence price list as well as kbb but have not seen a car for that price without it being abused or salvaged. Seems like prices have gone up just a bit.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$25K is a pretty good deal for <60K mile car. I got my wheel rash fixed for $75 per wheel (autospatlc), and scratches can also be easily buffed out. You probably have to match the fronts with new rears - so cost for that could be up to $300 each depending on brand. The fact IMS was done with new clutch and AOS is a big plus. 60K service will run you $1-$2K - including plugs, brake flush etc. (or you can do most of it yourself to save some $$). Check brake condition. Check service records (how often was oil changed) and carfax for evidence of accidents. Get PPI as mentioned above. Check windows drop down 1/2" when you open door handle - replacing regulators is about $500 - and a common repair at this age. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 AM
felsyeh
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips everyone. Carfax shows a damage report from first owner, service records show the rear decklid being repainted / replaced.

I'm getting more in-depth service records sent over and scheduling a PPI for this week.

Thanks for the detailed response targa996. If everything checks out in the PPI and I get the car, I'll give autospatlc a call to fix some of the cosmetic defects. How satisfied were you with their work? Can you recommend some good shops in the Bay Area for servicing?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Last week, I bought a cream puff one owner 01 Carrera with full maintenance documentation and a clean carfax for $18k. The only negative is the car had 110k miles. The car is in beautiful condition and is as tight as a drum.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

$25k is fair if in PERFECT condition. Known body work done would knock the price down for me. I wouldn't pay over $22k for it. However, as many say what's 10% one way or the other!?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
fivepointnine
Instructor

up here in the NW that is an outstanding deal, the MKII's up here are all around 30k+ and it already has the IMS replaced and fairly low miles, as long as its not a salvage title I would be jumping all over that in an instant. (FYI though PNW P-car prices seem to be quite a bit higher than the rest of the country)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Your description roughly fits my car in terms of mileage, condition, and service history (including one relatively minor body/paint repair). Having said that I also have a bunch of nice options, and that I think might be the difference if all else, like the PPI, checks out. If the car has some decent options, such as Bi-Xenons, Bose, PSM, or full leather, $25k might be a very good deal. If the car has minimal options then $25k may be just about right.

I am also skeptical of adhering strictly to anyone's valuation guides. Porsches are so rare (relative to Hondas and Fords), that these numbers are only good in a very broad sense. They are probably accurate for newer models, but once you get around 10 years old all bets are off. With the wide variety of mileage, condition, and options spread around a relatively small number of cars the relevant question "is this a good deal,"is perhaps more like, "is this what I am able and willing to pay for this specific car."

Good luck!

Last edited by rpm's S2; 04-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

duplicate post that I can't figure out how to delete...

Last edited by rpm's S2; 04-25-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 996 Buying Advice 2002 60k miles for 25k?