Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First three weeks of ownership = Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM
CR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First three weeks of ownership = Nightmare!

Thanks to many of you, three weeks ago I bought my first 911, an SY '99 (84k miles). I was so excited.

Car had a PPI at a reputable ind. Porsche shop, all checked out okay other than the AOS leaking a little. It had been popping out of 1st gear on occasion, but a second look from another shop confirmed that the shifter cables needed adjustment. It was done, problem solved. Great.

So everything was in order, I drove the car home, and immediately I noticed a small whine/hum in 4th gear at cruising speed (50mph). That just didn't sound right. Then, it starts popping out of first gear again. I've been driving stick for a good 20 years and know what I'm doing, so something was wrong.

Took the car back to the shop that did the shifter cables immediately, and the owner test drove and confirmed the first gear pop out. He also confirmed (so I thought) that the pinion bearing was toast and needed to be replaced. Crap.

Luckily, the dealer I bought from stepped up and paid for the work. They also found another gear that needed replacing in the tranny, and I took the opportunity to have the IMS retro and AOS done.

Two and a half weeks later (yesterday), I get the car back after almost $4,300 in repairs. This also ended up including new shifter cables for the first gear pop out. So I should be set. Right?

NO! The whine/hum is still there, and the thing still pops out of first gear on occasion. WTF! Called the shop this morning and let them know and they are taking it back in on Tuesday to look at it again.

This is a very awkward position to be in. I don't know these cars well enough to know what is wrong on either account, but I feel like I just paid a boatload of money to fix something that wasn't even fixed!

Any ideas or opinions? This shop is well known as being a great independent Porsche place, and they say they are going to make things right. I just don't know what happens at this point as far as what I have to pay for, or what they are going to fix.

Thanks for listening, and any help or consoling is appreciated.

Chris
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

What did you expect from a 6k a Year car???

Low Miles 996 = Money Pit, i have said it on here over and over
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CR
Thanks to many of you, three weeks ago I bought my first 911, an SY '99 (84k miles). I was so excited.

Car had a PPI at a reputable ind. Porsche shop, all checked out okay other than the AOS leaking a little. It had been popping out of 1st gear on occasion, but a second look from another shop confirmed that the shifter cables needed adjustment. It was done, problem solved. Great.

So everything was in order, I drove the car home, and immediately I noticed a small whine/hum in 4th gear at cruising speed (50mph). That just didn't sound right. Then, it starts popping out of first gear again. I've been driving stick for a good 20 years and know what I'm doing, so something was wrong.

Took the car back to the shop that did the shifter cables immediately, and the owner test drove and confirmed the first gear pop out. He also confirmed (so I thought) that the pinion bearing was toast and needed to be replaced. Crap.

Luckily, the dealer I bought from stepped up and paid for the work. They also found another gear that needed replacing in the tranny, and I took the opportunity to have the IMS retro and AOS done.

Two and a half weeks later (yesterday), I get the car back after almost $4,300 in repairs. This also ended up including new shifter cables for the first gear pop out. So I should be set. Right?

NO! The whine/hum is still there, and the thing still pops out of first gear on occasion. WTF! Called the shop this morning and let them know and they are taking it back in on Tuesday to look at it again.

This is a very awkward position to be in. I don't know these cars well enough to know what is wrong on either account, but I feel like I just paid a boatload of money to fix something that wasn't even fixed!

Any ideas or opinions? This shop is well known as being a great independent Porsche place, and they say they are going to make things right. I just don't know what happens at this point as far as what I have to pay for, or what they are going to fix.

Thanks for listening, and any help or consoling is appreciated.

Chris
Bummer but that the shop took the car back with no griping and said it was going to make things right... I'd say give the shop a chance to keep its word.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, I am sorry to hear your issues however. You remind me of my x-wife.

You said the dealer paid for the fix.
You said the shop that did the work is going to go back in and fix it.

You have ONE problem with the car. By you thread title I expected a lot more.
You have ONE problem and other people are trying to fix it for you.

I'm not trying to be rude or harsh. But I dont see big problem(s) here.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

good luck with the fix, keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie

I wouldn't call 84k low miles for a Porsche. And, I'm understanding the OP's problem - he bought the car and has had transmission issues - that's probably pretty annoying.

What confuses me, is what cost you $4300 if the dealer is paying for the fix ?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with the other comments. Sounds like everyone is stepping up to help you out. It is so easy to think the worst with these cars (no doubt the high cost of major repairs makes that somewhat justifiable), but I would relax and see what the Indy says.

By your post it sounds like you might have paid $4300 at the Dealer for IMS retro and AOS. Don't go back there.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I had to fix a variety of things on my 2003 I bought last year. I had a PPI done at a dealer and they missed stuff that was needing to be fixed along with saying I needed a $3000 repair at one of the oil pumps that proved to not be needed. That helped negotiate a lower price. All part of buying a used car. Repairs should be expected. Now you have a new IMS and AOS. Sounds like you got good folks working on your behalf.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting the IMS retro and AOS done was probably a good idea, and money weill spent (although 4300 seems high), however not related to your popping gear. It looks like they are going to help you out, let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

If they were taking out the trans to fix it the IMS bearing upgrade should have been the cost of the part and an hour or two. $4,300 sounds like they were passing some of the other cost on to you.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_North
Getting the IMS retro and AOS done was probably a good idea, and money weill spent (although 4300 seems high), however not related to your popping gear. It looks like they are going to help you out, let us know how it turns out.
A replacement built up gearbox would be a nice addition. Thats what I would be pushing for and if the guy who sold it to you is any man at all then thats the way he should be going IMHO. I had a whining noise coming from my gearbox and an extended warranty sorted that out for me by replaceing the gearbox for about the same price you paid for the work on the AOS and IMS work. Cost me the cost of an extended warrenty at the time of purchase. I would trust no F***ER when buying a used car. No Dealer. No PPI. Especially on these cars when Previous owners have pissed about working on things they should well leave alone. Also POs who thrash the hell out of them before warm up. "Have you heard this" on a cold engine vruuuuum vruuum my effin ***. I hate to see someone getting done and it looks like they saw you coming. I hope the Dealer comes up trumps for you. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If the trans is still noisy and pops out of first it most likely was not repaired.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zookie

And yet my experience with my car says you're wrong.

I bought my '99 two years ago with 14,176 miles on it. I have put 15,000 miles on it since then. In that time, this is what I've spent -

Regular maintenance:
3 oil changes, 1 brake fluid flush, 1 set of tires, 1 cabin filter and 1 alignment

Unplanned expense:
1 oxygen sensor

Not even close to being a "Money Pit."
Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you think this problem is a "Nightmare," you may not really be ready for the reality of Porsche ownership. Occasionally we hear a true bad dream here... An IMS failure, a d-chunk cylinder break, or an oil/coolant intermix.

On a lesser bad dream, last week I dropped a quick $1k to fix a cracked coolant tank, a slight oil leak, and buy a new battery. I'm not made of money by any stretch, but I recognize what it costs to properly maintain these cars... Even the cheaper ones. Of course that is not $4,000 - my point is that you must always be prepared to write a big check for these cars. Reality sometimes bites.

Of course the smile on my face on the way home made it all worthwhile.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Chris, show us what cost the $4300 and we could more likely speculate whether or not you had been given the royal screwing.
If you truly believe that the dealer or indy did not fix the problem that it was there for, take them to court.
Just remember keep a cool head and ask the shop responsible to correct the problem free of charge as they didn't fix the problem in the first place.

Quick Reply: First three weeks of ownership = Nightmare!