Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First three weeks of ownership = Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kr3678
And yet my experience with my car says you're wrong.

I bought my '99 two years ago with 14,176 miles on it. I have put 15,000 miles on it since then. In that time, this is what I've spent -

Regular maintenance:
3 oil changes, 1 brake fluid flush, 1 set of tires, 1 cabin filter and 1 alignment

Unplanned expense:
1 oxygen sensor

Not even close to being a "Money Pit."
Same here. A '99 I've owned since 2003. Now 32k miles. Do all my own oil changes and minor maintenance. Not counting tires (I bought them online), total spent at dealership in the nine years I've had it? About $200 bucks for an alignment. I don't understand the mentality that low miles equals more problems.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the OP isn't as upset about the problems (though they are something to be upset about, no doubt), he's more pissed about how he had the car checked out and other than AOS, it got a pass. He bought the car and now all this other stuff happens.

I went through a similar deal when I bought my SC. I can tell you I was really jacked that I got the PPI, did my homework, etc.... and still got F'd. Yes, I know it's been said before that a PPI is not a guarantee but where do you draw the line on what a good indy doing a PPI should pick up? I'd like to think if the OP picked up on the issues, a tech should be able to as well.

As for the rest of whats been said - Yeah, give them a chance to make it right. And definitely see what the $4300 included, but I know I'd be pissed too, I'd want to drive my car after I bought it, not have it sit in a shop.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fwiw the popping out of gear issue is most likely bad syncros in the trans. If it was just cable related you would expect problems in 3rd and likely 5th as well. Just my .02
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you didn't give it a good test drive after the pre-purchase repairs of you immediately noticed the whine on your drive home. Caveat Emptor. That said it sounds like the shop has indicated they will do right by you. Give them a chance and hopefully it will turn out alright.

As others have said, just because it didn't cost a lot to buy, doesn't mean it's cheap to maintain. It is a Porsche.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 AM
CR
Instructor

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know, compared to what could happen with these cars, you are right, it really isn't a "nightmare." It's really more of what Mickey356 said, I felt like I did all my homework, had a good PPI, knew exactly what I was getting into, and it ends up in the shop anyway. And then after two and a half weeks waiting for the repairs, it's still not fixed.

As for the $4,300, that was the total for the entire bill that the dealer who sold it to me and I had to pay total. My part was only $1300 to have the IMS retro, AOS, and oil change done. The other money (dealer) went towards dropping the tranny, putting in various seals, an angular ball bearing, synchronizer, pinion bearing, fixed gear, and new shifter cables.

Question: if they had the tranny out and replaced some things in it and already knew about the first gear thing, would they have noticed bad syncros? Are they visible to the point where you can see that they are bad?

As for the test drive, I guess you are right. I really should have noticed. But I had never driven a 911 before, and the guy was talking with me the whole time. My friend told me that they have a different sound than a front engine car. So I thought nothing of it. But when I really started to do some shifting and listening in different gears, that fourth gear just started sounding more and more strange, and just not right.

The shop is stepping up and I am very thankful for that. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you updated.

Chris
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris when you get the car back (BTW mine was in there for 4 weeks) make sure that your battery is fully charged before you try things out. I am not saying the battery has anything to do with the gear jumpimng out of mesh, no way, but lots of other little things can seem wrong on a partially charged battery. They managed to run mine down and then even suggested I buy a new battery from them (The robbing Ba*****s).. I got it checked at Pep Boys and there was nothing wrong with the one I had. It was only 16 months old and has been running daily since last June when the tranny job was done.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I've had my bearings in my tranny replaced but also check the wheel bearings.

Originally Posted by CR
Thanks to many of you, three weeks ago I bought my first 911, an SY '99 (84k miles). I was so excited.

Car had a PPI at a reputable ind. Porsche shop, all checked out okay other than the AOS leaking a little. It had been popping out of 1st gear on occasion, but a second look from another shop confirmed that the shifter cables needed adjustment. It was done, problem solved. Great.

So everything was in order, I drove the car home, and immediately I noticed a small whine/hum in 4th gear at cruising speed (50mph). That just didn't sound right. Then, it starts popping out of first gear again. I've been driving stick for a good 20 years and know what I'm doing, so something was wrong.

Took the car back to the shop that did the shifter cables immediately, and the owner test drove and confirmed the first gear pop out. He also confirmed (so I thought) that the pinion bearing was toast and needed to be replaced. Crap.

Luckily, the dealer I bought from stepped up and paid for the work. They also found another gear that needed replacing in the tranny, and I took the opportunity to have the IMS retro and AOS done.

Two and a half weeks later (yesterday), I get the car back after almost $4,300 in repairs. This also ended up including new shifter cables for the first gear pop out. So I should be set. Right?

NO! The whine/hum is still there, and the thing still pops out of first gear on occasion. WTF! Called the shop this morning and let them know and they are taking it back in on Tuesday to look at it again.

This is a very awkward position to be in. I don't know these cars well enough to know what is wrong on either account, but I feel like I just paid a boatload of money to fix something that wasn't even fixed!

Any ideas or opinions? This shop is well known as being a great independent Porsche place, and they say they are going to make things right. I just don't know what happens at this point as far as what I have to pay for, or what they are going to fix.

Thanks for listening, and any help or consoling is appreciated.

Chris
Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

When I had the wine, they fixed my syncros and my wheel bearing. The following year they realized my tranny bearings needed to be replaced.

Originally Posted by CR
Thanks for the comments everyone. I know, compared to what could happen with these cars, you are right, it really isn't a "nightmare." It's really more of what Mickey356 said, I felt like I did all my homework, had a good PPI, knew exactly what I was getting into, and it ends up in the shop anyway. And then after two and a half weeks waiting for the repairs, it's still not fixed.

As for the $4,300, that was the total for the entire bill that the dealer who sold it to me and I had to pay total. My part was only $1300 to have the IMS retro, AOS, and oil change done. The other money (dealer) went towards dropping the tranny, putting in various seals, an angular ball bearing, synchronizer, pinion bearing, fixed gear, and new shifter cables.

Question: if they had the tranny out and replaced some things in it and already knew about the first gear thing, would they have noticed bad syncros? Are they visible to the point where you can see that they are bad?

As for the test drive, I guess you are right. I really should have noticed. But I had never driven a 911 before, and the guy was talking with me the whole time. My friend told me that they have a different sound than a front engine car. So I thought nothing of it. But when I really started to do some shifting and listening in different gears, that fourth gear just started sounding more and more strange, and just not right.

The shop is stepping up and I am very thankful for that. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you updated.

Chris
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Since I live in the area, I'm curious...there's a reputable indy shop here?
Who would that be?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CR

Chris
Im glad they are stepping up. I am in my first p-car, also 1999 996. Had a PPI etc done as well, and so far so good. I am planning a major service soon, as the maintenance history is spotty, although my indy thinks we are in good shape. Ill take on some simpler thing my self (like o/c and belts) but i am in no way mechanically inclined. Figure that in the first year ill be "fixin" next year "moddin"..year three ? ? trading.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:29 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

as I see it the "problem" is you need a better repair shop. $4300 is ridiculous!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
as I see it the "problem" is you need a better repair shop. $4300 is ridiculous!
$1300 out of the $4300 is AOS and IMS I believe. That leaves $3K for a tranny rebuild which they have not fixed.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:39 PM
CR
Instructor

Yeah, $1300 for IMS and AOS and oil change. The rest of the bill was for the tranny/pinion bearing/shifter cables.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by CR
Yeah, $1300 for IMS and AOS and oil change. The rest of the bill was for the tranny/pinion bearing/shifter cables.
Personally, I think they just flushed the tranny and told you they rebuilt it. A quality rebuild requires tear down and takes time. This is a great thread for reference.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...y-project.html

Quick Reply: First three weeks of ownership = Nightmare!