996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First trackday tips/advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

also check out the racing and DE forum (under Perf & Comp)....there are some great threads on DE prep, and the "Ask the Coach" thread is a mandatory read....
Old 04-20-2012, 03:59 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Flatout, that is how you want to drive. Flatout.

Just model yourself after Richard Allister here in this vid. Follow Richard's lead and you'll do fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUK...layer_embedded
“Looked like you were leading a conga line” that is a hilarious bit !
Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 AM
SLVRBLT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
Great clip, my experience of motorcycle track days is a little different, same ***** with too much money, WSB spec bikes, tire warmers and then they select to go in the intermediate or slow group so they can blast past beginners on the straight and feel good about themselves , then act as a mobile chicane in the corners!
I could not agree more. I am a MC trackday instructor here in the Mid- Atlantic region and we have a saying for those with more money than brains and lack the skill to be operating such a weapon. "You Can't Fix Stupid". Those are the guys you see taking a soil sample in the first session. They also think traction control is the "Save All", but it does not control the testosterone driven, hamfisting idiot behind the bars.

I am doing my first car trackday 5 May at a track that is so overloaded with steroids and egoes is scary to hear them open their mouth sometimes.

I would think tire pressure is as critical on 4 wheels as it is on 2. You won't have a problem finding the line, but it will be slightly different than on a bike. I hope you have a great time and learn a lot. Yes slow = smooth = fast. As with bikes, learn the line, be smooth and the speed will be the byproduct of it all.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
I have to disagree with respect to tire pressure. At my first track event I paid no attention to tire pressures and by the end of the day my tires were getting hot and I felt like I was sliding all over the place. I couldn't understand why even though I was driving better, the car was getting worse.

At my second event, my instructor helped me with tire pressures and it helped a TON.
Yup. Happened to me today. First time driving 996 on track since picking it up yesterday. Nightmare first session. Silly me, I had forgotten to check air pressures and once I adjusted down to 32 lbs, it was a totally different car. Still way slower than my race modded Boxster S through the turns but that is because it is in stock form which is great for DD duties but not so much as a track car.

Quick Reply: First trackday tips/advice