996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Painted Turbo Twists - Yea or Nea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the choices of color at Dipyourcar's plasti-dip, why wouldn't you do each spoke a different color, and then spin the wheels really, really fast, causing small children and pets to throw up whenever you roll by?

http://www.dipyourcar.com/shop/page/...mE&shop_param=

Sorry; couldn't resist. That Monster Green/Hot Pink combo was too tempting.
I like stock silver. Go with what you like.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that all black wheels on a dark blue (or any dark color) is a bit much and I love black wheels.

I bet gun metal on the entire wheel would look great though.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking at a hilarious thread over at 6speed on a guy who is plasti-dipping his entire Porsche Turbo (thread is named "Plastidipping my whole car!!!! "), I am kind of thinking of doing my turbo twist rims in matte black Plasti-Dip. I think it looks pretty good and seems idiot-proof in application - plus is totally and easily reversible; you just peel it off if you get tired of it. Has anyone here done this on a Porsche??
Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 AM
bwdave55
Track Day

Default gunmetal gray wheels

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I powder coated my silver wheels to a gun metal grey a few years ago. Thinking of going a little darker.
Pete, how did you select your "gunmetal " gray ?- take a paint chip to the company doing the powder coating ? Select from a standard range of colors offered by the powder coater ? I have a Seal Gray 4S but it has the polished TT wheels which is a bit too much bling for me and was thinking about having them painted vs buying new wheels - yours look pretty good and the price is right . Did you have them put a several coats of clear powder over the gunmetal to make them shine like that ?
Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
petonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by spender
After looking at a hilarious thread over at 6speed on a guy who is plasti-dipping his entire Porsche Turbo (thread is named "Plastidipping my whole car!!!! "), I am kind of thinking of doing my turbo twist rims in matte black Plasti-Dip. I think it looks pretty good and seems idiot-proof in application - plus is totally and easily reversible; you just peel it off if you get tired of it. Has anyone here done this on a Porsche??
I haven't, but I'm seriously considering doing that, too. I might try the technique where the guy plastidips his wheels while on the car. Just need to cover the rotors and calipers.

I like the fact that it's reversible. Let me know if you get to yours before I do. And take pics! I have a yellow/black 996ttx50 cabrio.

Quick Reply: Painted Turbo Twists - Yea or Nea?