Oil leak clarification...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 AM
theoilman
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak clarification...

Hey all,
First time poster, long time lurker... Just wanted to get an idea of what part would need replacing to fix the oil leak below. The hose clamp has been replaced and it is tight, is this a breather line for the crankcase? It is located on the back left of the engine if you were looking at the engine compartment from the rear, front right part of the engine looking at it from underneath the car. It is lined into the bottom intake manifold from the cylinder head. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by theoilman
Hey all,
First time poster, long time lurker... Just wanted to get an idea of what part would need replacing to fix the oil leak below. The hose clamp has been replaced and it is tight, is this a breather line for the crankcase? It is located on the back left of the engine if you were looking at the engine compartment from the rear, front right part of the engine looking at it from underneath the car. It is lined into the bottom intake manifold from the cylinder head. Any suggestions would be helpful.

the non-oem hose clamp is on the boot/bellows of the AOS, sometimes the boot tears & leaks oil & you can buy the boot seperatly. search AOS for more info & DIY
Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on Byprodriver's comments.

My '99 C2 cabrio (61K miles) had the same leak...replacing the AOS' bellows solved the problem. Phew.

relinuca
Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM
theoilman
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
the non-oem hose clamp is on the boot/bellows of the AOS, sometimes the boot tears & leaks oil & you can buy the boot seperatly. search AOS for more info & DIY
Awesome! I will try this before acknowledging the dreadful AOS job that might be ahead. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope I'm as fortunate as him^^^^
Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually doesn't look all that bad to me. Is it dripping/leaking onto the floor?

You might even just want to degrease that area and monitor, who knows how long that oil could have been forming.

Does the car use/lose a lot of oil?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
theoilman
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by logray
Actually doesn't look all that bad to me. Is it dripping/leaking onto the floor?

You might even just want to degrease that area and monitor, who knows how long that oil could have been forming.

Does the car use/lose a lot of oil?
It does leak and drip onto the floor when sitting overnight or over an extended period of time. I don't see much saturation if at all while the car is being driven meaning, there isn't oil flung all over the bottom of the chassis from the air travelling below the car.

This started when I switched from Mobil 1 oddly, coincidence? The next day from when I did the oil change, I all of a sudden had oil forming on the floor. I didn't over fill or spill anything. And no, I have have no oil consumption issues. Needless to say, I'll be replacing the bellows and clamps and switching back to Mobil 1.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
theoilman
Cruisin'

Quick follow up... The bellows was fine. The damn aftermarket clamp someone put on was stripped and couldn't tighten anything beyond finger tight. Needless to say, bellows replaced with new hose clamps and I am one happy Porsche owner right now.

Quick Reply: Oil leak clarification...