996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Want to get back into a P-car daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012 | 09:20 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Would anyone worry about the IMS issue on a car with over 100k miles? I had understood that engine failures related to this issue were unlikely on higher mileage cars. I have a 986S with 85k miles. I beat the crap out of it regularly at Sebring and it doesn't even leak a drop of oil. Of course if that motor blows I get to put a 3.8 so I am not so worried. LOL
Or you can buy the 3.4L Dan Jacobs is selling (don't know if it has been sold) for $7K and keep it as a spare for both of your cars.
Old 04-20-2012 | 04:02 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Pics

I picked up the car today. Exact same Lapis Blue color as my Boxster S track car. It has 110k miles on it and is tight as a drum. No rattles or shakes. Pulls strong. One owner who maintained it religiously at the dealer since day 1. In addition to the recommended maintenance, he did extra oil changes half way through the 15k mile intervals. The clutch feels fine although it is original, so I imagine it will need to be replaced soon. He never tracked it and from talking to him I doubt he ever got it up to red line. Conservative guy. I had it to redline several times on the way home!

I am going to baptize it in the rain at Sebring this weekend. Should be fun. I don't have windows on my track car and don't feel like loading/unloading that car onto an open trailer in a thunderstorm.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Want to get back into a P-car daily driver