Sponsored by:

K+N Air Filter when to clean and reoil

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM
goldgun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K+N Air Filter when to clean and reoil

have a 99 C2 Tip and a 03 C4S both with K+N Air Filter ,how long or how many miles before you clean and reoil them,any experience or thoughts

Thanks
Albert
Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

You should only clean them if you drive in a very dusty environment or run without the sock over the filter. Otherwise, clean it when you notice substantially dust on the filter.... Then only LIGHTLY oil the filter. Everyone tends to over oil the filter... then they mess up the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:02 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NEVER oil your filter unless you want to get a CEL and /or possibly ruin your MAS, go to K&N.com and order the Dry Charger and put that over the filter.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:11 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PROPERLY oil it (don't over oil) and you will be fine. Dry charger or not, it's designed to be used with the oil. I have a K&N on all my cars and have never had an issue. The paranoia associated with these filters is beyond belief.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

That is absolutly incorrect information! Even with the Dry Charger over it (sock) you will someday end up cleaning the unit and the KEY is... DO NOT over oil the element. Many of you who purcahse the K&N filters, will either never service the unit or Over oil the unit and THEN cause the CEL from a MAS failure... Which can be corrected by spraying MAS cleaner on the MAS element... let it dry and reinstall in to car. Remember to never touch the inside of the MAS with ANYTHING.... Then it is Toast.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OGWGFIW
PROPERLY oil it (don't over oil) and you will be fine. Dry charger or not, it's designed to be used with the oil. I have a K&N on all my cars and have never had an issue. The paranoia associated with these filters is beyond belief.
+1
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OGWGFIW
I agree, I have ran K&N filters for over 15 years and never threw a CEL or SES light on any car. It is all about how you re-oil it.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 AM
David Clarke
Advanced

As a rule of thumb, if the filter has a slight red tinge then you are good, if it looks black - clean it. It might be more scientific than that, but it works for me! No errors either. Buy the oil in the spray can and use as little as possible, mist some on, leave it a while, mist a little more if needed. I think in the can you use less than the bottle. Bare minimum to be compliant with the instructions on the can and you are good.

Quick Reply: K+N Air Filter when to clean and reoil