Casper Labs IMS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
??? The answer is derived from your thread title. ???

Who wants to be 1st?
I'm already running a bearing like this. Bought it online for $100 and have 2500km on it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Somone has just tried it and compared it with the LN bearing
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...g/#entry235706

Interesting info.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

From the pic, looks like a factory flange being used? The shaft seems factory size so that would make sense. Would like to see the difference in the install tools as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Edit: The original link is: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...c-ims-bearing/

^^^ K had a chance to read or should I say reread it from a year ago. I guess reading it a year ago, didn't really sink in at the time since this Casper was relatively unknown and I'm sure several people including myself have approached with some caution and doubt.

Also as BR of Casper has mentioned, he's an engineer first and foremost with sales coming in second and wearing a hat he's not used to. I'm willing to go as far as to say his IMS kits would've probably done a lot better when it came out if he hadn't marketed and sold it on eBay, hence the doubt and credibility that could creep in from some people(including myself).

HOWEVER looking back, it appears that BR at Casper Labs has actually come up with THE SOLUTION (at least the idea) before it was marketed or revealed to the public back in March of LAST year as another pointed out. I'm actually in awe of this and other knowledge that BR has gracefully shared from his engineering perspective. I guess rereading the thread a second time has sunk in more than the first with more impact.

For anyone that has IMS questions, I would highly suggest reading the thread over at Renntech as linked above, as that would answer most of them. Reread it or read it slowly if you have to if it doesn't sink in the first time.

Last edited by alpine003; 03-28-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read through the Renntech thread on the Casper IMS bearing. One thing I picked up on that I somehow never got before was to not run these engines below max full oil as one simple step to help reduce possible IMS failure.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
boxhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Bill is an engineer, Charles and Jake,experienced as they may be, are not engineers. From the standpoint of a (former) fellow engineer, Bill's explanation(s) are backed by science, whilst Charles' and Jake's sound evidence-based with a smattering of intuitive guesswork and sound-bites from their phantom "retired Timken bearing engineer". That is NOT to say they are wrong or misguided. I feel more confident hearing another physician explain some medical issue to me than a lab tech. Call it professional bias if you want, but there it is.

That said, the Casper retrofit re-uses the original shaft and flange whilst the LN retrofit contains a proprietary shaft of larger-than-OEM diameter, and as a result, a proprietary flange as well. So dollar-for-dollar the two are probably of similar cost. Bill believes the chances of a shaft breaking are not significant enough to warrant upgrading it, whilst Charles and Jake disagree. Personally, even if Bill is correct, I don't see a downside to upgrading the shaft specs. The overwhelming majority of the cost of the retrofit is labour, so another couple hundred in the part for a more complete kit doesn't seem like bad value at all.

Charles told me over the phone he's a software engineer and his wife is a chemical engineer, and there was a lot of cross over.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boxhead
Charles told me over the phone he's a software engineer and his wife is a chemical engineer, and there was a lot of cross over.
So what? The folks in Stuttgart didn't get it right and there are a lot of "real" engineers there! In this case I would rather believe in someone with a passion and learned from the school of hard knocks, than a company which took 13 years to admit there is a flaw in their design and only after the class action law suit against them forced them to come out in the open.

Jake's wife holds a class or two of land speed record, Charles' wife is an accomplished DE instructor, I am certainly not going to make fun that they are not "real" drivers!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The "phantom engineer" is a real guy, Porsche fanatic and the engineer behind the materials selection for the LN bearing. I've exchanged emails with Ed for probably 2 years on the subject. He is also the one who, if a bearing is returned to LN for reason of failure or if you did as they ask and replaced it at 50k miles, analyses the bearing and determines the cause or condition.

It will be interesting to see how Casper does in the product support aspect of delivering a IMS kit. It is the support of the DIYers that LN and Flat6 attempted in the beginning and now no longer sell for DIY that is the challenge.

Quick Reply: Casper Labs IMS kit?