Sponsored by:

Porsche aero kit cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche aero kit cars

I'm looking into buying a 996 to replace my 996 that was rear ended. I came across a Guards Red 996 that the owner says is a "aero package 996" is there anyway to tell if this is a true aero package car vs. A car that was just modded to look like one? During the test drive I noticed the car still had the switch for the rear spoiler yet it has a fixed spoiler unlike other 1999 c2's I've seen. Also the car has been fitted with red 6 piston brakes as part of the aero package. During the test drive I noticed to get the car to stop required more pressure then my old 996.. Is this normal? I've heard of Porsche's race cars having the same sort of braking characteristic but I don't think that's very smart for a street car. I would think that the proper way of going about modifying these brakes is a larger brake booster. Or could it be that the one in this car is on it's way out?

I'm really trying to stay away from my history of modded cars but if these options are truly from the dealer this way I could see myself buying this one as I would think it would be worth a bit more then a regular c2 later on down the line.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Vin is

WP0AA2990X5626760
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM
fast996
Instructor

check the option codes on it under the hood sticker , XAA for aerokit iirc
Old 03-24-2012, 07:44 PM
kr3678
Instructor

My '99 Carrera 4 is a factory aero kit car, and it does not have a switch for the movable rear spoiler. I don't think the aero kit has anything to do with brakes; mine has silver calipers, not red ones.

Fast996 is correct: look for the white build sticker under the front trunk lid and look for the code XAA for aero kit.

Suncoast Porsche Parts will decode the VIN and give you the original options for a car - they charge $10 for the service.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Thanks a lot!!!

In regards to the brakes.. Anyone here ever experience big brakes on these cars with the same pedel feeling? If he didn't say it was because of the brakes being 6 piston I would have said for sure the brake booster was done. If this is normal is there a upgrade for a bigger brake booster?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kr3678
My '99 Carrera 4 is a factory aero kit car, and it does not have a switch for the movable rear spoiler. I don't think the aero kit has anything to do with brakes; mine has silver calipers, not red ones.

Fast996 is correct: look for the white build sticker under the front trunk lid and look for the code XAA for aero kit.

Suncoast Porsche Parts will decode the VIN and give you the original options for a car - they charge $10 for the service.
Mine is an aero car and it does have the spoiler switch. It has black calipers and it even had the relays in the back for the spoiler. yes it has the option code and the vin also confirms aero car when run at Porsche
Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

To the best of my knowlege there were no USA 1999 996's with Red calipers from the factory. They could be stock repaints, Big Red's from a later model, or aftermarket. The reason the pedal pressure is higher could be the type of pads used. Street pads are more grabby than cold track pads, hence the higher required pedal pressure on the street.

Factory stock taco shell spoiler has a 996.xxx.xxx part number clearly marked on the underside of the spoiler lid on the right side (inside).
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Name:  ce6835c0.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  60.7 KB

Yup doesn't seem like a aero car
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lawson4323

Yup doesn't seem like a aero car
It was built as a pretty basic car. Litronics, 18" wheels, aluminum dials, shift **** and hand brake.

This doesn't necessarily mean the aero parts aren't original Porsche parts, it just means the car didn't come from the factory with them. But you would need to check them closely to find the Porsche part numbers on them.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Lawson can you post a picture of the car?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Name:  0d46cb87.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  66be6c70.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  108165a4.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  118.5 KB
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thundertub
To the best of my knowlege there were no USA 1999 996's with Red calipers from the factory. They could be stock repaints, Big Red's from a later model, or aftermarket. The reason the pedal pressure is higher could be the type of pads used. Street pads are more grabby than cold track pads, hence the higher required pedal pressure on the street.

Factory stock taco shell spoiler has a 996.xxx.xxx part number clearly marked on the underside of the spoiler lid on the right side (inside).

That makes sense.. Considering the worse case senario though you think the brake booster is bad? Sorry.. bit of a newbie when it comes to upgraded brakes on these cars. Ether case I'd assume I'm now left with having to figure out where these brakes came from so I can get new pads on the car anyway.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Get a PPI done and they will tell you if the brakes are an issue, along with everything else. The aero parts look oem to me but check the serial numbers. Sharp looking car.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Lawson4323
That makes sense.. Considering the worse case senario though you think the brake booster is bad? Sorry.. bit of a newbie when it comes to upgraded brakes on these cars. Ether case I'd assume I'm now left with having to figure out where these brakes came from so I can get new pads on the car anyway.
I would be surprised of the brake booster is bad, but it is possible. I've been a daily reader of this board for many years and can't recall anybody asking about a faultly booster. But I didn't do a search, either. I think the larger front calipers are more likely the issue, and very possibly the wrong pads for the street.

It is not unusual for "tinkerers" to add larger calipers to the front, although the track guys will tell you that is totally not necessary considering the stock brakes and pads are more than ample for anything you might do on the street or even the occasional DE event. More serious track folks will often go for more aggessive pad material for on-track time and then revert back to street pads for the trip home.

And it was a popular "tuner" mod ten years ago to go to Big Reds, mostly for the visual appeal. Red cars look even more red with Big Reds... LOL! My local dealership was hooked up with the powder coating guy in town and often sent out calipers on brand new cars for the RED treatment when that was in vogue. And they are still offered in the various catalogs.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Lawson4323
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I would be surprised of the brake booster is bad, but it is possible. I've been a daily reader of this board for many years and can't recall anybody asking about a faultly booster. But I didn't do a search, either. I think the larger front calipers are more likely the issue, and very possibly the wrong pads for the street.

It is not unusual for "tinkerers" to add larger calipers to the front, although the track guys will tell you that is totally not necessary considering the stock brakes and pads are more than ample for anything you might do on the street or even the occasional DE event. More serious track folks will often go for more aggessive pad material for on-track time and then revert back to street pads for the trip home.

And it was a popular "tuner" mod ten years ago to go to Big Reds, mostly for the visual appeal. Red cars look even more red with Big Reds... LOL! My local dealership was hooked up with the powder coating guy in town and often sent out calipers on brand new cars for the RED treatment when that was in vogue. And they are still offered in the various catalogs.

The red er the better LOL. Anything else I should keep a eye out for?

Quick Reply: Porsche aero kit cars