Sponsored by:

What to do, what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do, what to do....

Okay, I would like to start prioritizing some projects to make my 2004 C4S Cab, how should I say, more my own. I have sport exhaust, full leather, Factory NAV, and 18" GT3 wheels other features highlighted in my signature). I would love to solicit some ideas for what I might do next. While not wanting to stir controversy, especially after reading the 9 pages of opinions on the IMS "opportunity", I am considering the L&N retrofit (if for nothing else, my own peace of mind)... So please let's not allow this post to turn into a debate on that. I can afford to do it, so considering it.

Would love to hear some other ideas to enhance my dream car.

Thanks all!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmm, the C4S has all the upgrades that us c2/c4 owners want... Are you leaning more towards performance or cosmetic upgrades?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Upgrade the nav/audio system to 21st century standards (Pioneer AVIC or similar).
Suspension upgrade.
One of those little hula dancers for the back shelf.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Ryan, I think both, although I do not want to negatively affect the car's ability to be a daily driver. Ironically, it is not a daily driver but ultimately do not want to impact my ability to sell it if/when I decide to move into a newer model. I am not trying to make it a track car, just want it to have some unique characteristics that might set it apart from other P-cars in this class. I guess what I am trying to say is that all options are on the table while allowing the car to remain a road trip car. Hope that makes since.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car is really nicely optioned as it is. I'm not sure what I would do other than ensuring peice of mind with the previously mentioned IMS bearing. What are the miles on the car? Is the water pump original? You have one of the newest and most visually desirable 996s out there. Can't see changing it too much.

All the factory stereos are awful, regardless of which one you have. Replacing the factory system requries replacing everything do to the MOST system in the car.

The best sound system the 996 came with is the sport exhaust.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

see my recent post on winter upgrades i performed. Includes, interior, motor bolt ons and soon suspension. So far they are worth every penny.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my signature for some mod ideas. I think the three most important ones for me have been the suspension, short shifter and the beefier steering wheel (from Dallas Custom Wheels).

As for cosmetic upgrades, maybe some nice Carbon Fibre pieces would help spruce up the dull interior! I would also suggest some aluminium sport pedals. I can suggest more if you have the budget for it!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 909 Posts

I agree on the sound system upgrade. It also allows you to add other modern features like Pandora, Bluetooth, updated navigation, Sirius XM, etc.

As for other upgrades, how about some custom interior bits? You could do a painted center console, or perhaps have your steering wheel and shifter covered with alcantara. You could also order some red seatblelts, and then have the stitching on your recovered steering wheel and shifter done in red.

White gauge faces and gauge trim rings are another nice option. I've considered doing white gauge faces on all but the tach, and doing that one in red.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Got a quote today from RAC Performance to do the R&N IMS Retrofit combined with replacing clutch (if needed). $1700 total for IMS, another $700 for clutch. The car has just under 43,000 miles. They are going to look around to make sure everything is in good shape. Does that quote sound in line with those who have had this work done?

Looking at sound system options, both Pioneer and Kenwood on list (as a techie, I can sink my teeth into this one). Jim and Dennis - Just for confirmation, nothing from the existing sound system (I have Bose with Factory Nav) can be salvaged in stereo replacement? Can I use on-board mic on the left side of instrument panel or use manufacturer specific? What else besides the bezel for head unit (amp, speakers, etc.) should I expect to plan for?

Hyper911, as far as motor bolt-ons go, assuming cold air intake and computer mods? Did they really make a difference? With my factory sport exhaust enhancement, would the car have seen any performance improvements there? I have heard conflicting sides on real benefits with the bolt-on stuff. Would love to hear from experience.

Can definitely get the aluminum instrument gauge rings on the list. They look sharp. Hyper911, where did you get those? Aluminum pedals and footrest on order, should be getting those this week.

Love the turbo brakes, so will put suspension next in line.

Great suggestions all around. Thanks guys!

Last edited by jfintexas; 03-19-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 909 Posts

Jamie,

I believe you can just replace the headunit if you choose to upgrade the sound system. I replaced everything - headunit, amp and speakers. The spearkers are the weak link in the system in terms of sound quality. If you want to keep them though, I'd find an installer who has worked on Porsches before. Your 996 has the MOST fiber optic ring, and so you'll have to deal with that if you keep the existing amps and speakers. I believe you can buy an adapter for that.

I used the new Kenwood mic with my installation, but it's installed in the OEM location, so you can't see it. I also had the Sirius XM and GPS antennae installed on the front bumper, under the bumper cover. They are totally concealed.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfintexas
Got a quote today from RAC Performance to do the R&N IMS Retrofit combined with replacing clutch (if needed). $1700 total for IMS, another $700 for clutch. The car has just under 43,000 miles. They are going to look around to make sure everything is in good shape. Does that quote sound in line with those who have had this work done?

Looking at sound system options, both Pioneer and Kenwood on list (as a techie, I can sink my teeth into this one). Jim and Dennis - Just for confirmation, nothing from the existing sound system (I have Bose with Factory Nav) can be salvaged in stereo replacement? Can I use on-board mic on the left side of instrument panel or use manufacturer specific? What else besides the bezel for head unit (amp, speakers, etc.) should I expect to plan for?

Hyper911, as far as motor bolt-ons go, assuming cold air intake and computer mods? Did they really make a difference? With my factory sport exhaust enhancement, would the car have seen any performance improvements there? I have heard conflicting sides on real benefits with the bolt-on stuff. Would love to hear from experience.

Can definitely get the aluminum instrument gauge rings on the list. They look sharp. Hyper911, where did you get those? Aluminum pedals and footrest on order, should be getting those this week.

Love the turbo brakes, so will put suspension next in line.

Great suggestions all around. Thanks guys!
I would go with an Android based double din radio. Way more awsome features to be had. The posibilites are endless with one of those.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeswift
I would go with an Android based double din radio. Way more awsome features to be had. The posibilites are endless with one of those.
Any good Android-based ones available as yet? I'd wait for these to mature before spending money on Android based headunits.

BTW, I'd skip the Kenwoods! I have one and I am not really happy with it - there is a lag between keypress and operation as well as the fact that the software is not solid and the unit reboots by itself every now and then. I have no direct experience with the Pioneers, but I would probably choose the Pioneer over a Kenwood the next time around.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think suspension and brakes give you the best bang for the buck as far as performance upgrades go. Stiffer (not solid) motor mounts, 997 tranny mount, and short shift kits are all fairly economical upgrades that translate into a noticeable difference in performance and handling. Just keeping the drive train steady under hard acceleration and cornering translates into more energy going into moving the car down the road.

I'm not a big fan of chipping NA vehicles as the gains are modest at best, usually only show up in the upper rpm ranges and tend to be expensive for what you get.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my guages at Carnewal.com
In terms of performance, the IPD with cats and Chip should give good gains (i have PSE/gundo hack done and love the sound). Will report back with power gains, dont expect alot but the car drives way to civil and quite for me right now so even 15-20hp under the curve and i will be happy.
Its fun and that is all that matters!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Default Preferred tranny and engine mounts...

Originally Posted by SSST
I think suspension and brakes give you the best bang for the buck as far as performance upgrades go. Stiffer (not solid) motor mounts, 997 tranny mount, and short shift kits are all fairly economical upgrades that translate into a noticeable difference in performance and handling. Just keeping the drive train steady under hard acceleration and cornering translates into more energy going into moving the car down the road.

I'm not a big fan of chipping NA vehicles as the gains are modest at best, usually only show up in the upper rpm ranges and tend to be expensive for what you get.
Is there a forum popular manufacturer for the more stiff tranny and engine mounts?

Quick Reply: What to do, what to do....