Sponsored by:

Reinstalling transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reinstalling transmission

I have had the transmission out to change the clutch and today we tried to put it back in... It didn't work! We tried for a long time moving it back and forth and so on, but without success.

We had the transmission on a normal garage jack with a plate on the top (below the transmission). As far as I could see, it was aligned with the engine so it should work.

1. How sensitive is it to have the transmission perfectly in level? How do you ensure that it is perfectly in level?

2. I used a centering tool for the clutch plate, but could it still be slightly off and causing problems? Or is that unlikely?

3. Any other suggestions what to do?

Robert
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

(1) You must have the engine and transmission in line. Check the angle of your engine and try to match the transmission to the same angle. Normally it is not straight but tilted down towards the rear of the engine
(2) Make sure the clutch disk is centered by using the Clutch Alignment Tool. The disk must be centered within the preasure plate.
(3) I have done this three times and only had problems once and that was when we removed the transmission from the jack rather than leaving it on and maintaining the same removing angle. It sounds like you are trying to install the transmission by moving it in a straight line. Generally the engine is slainted down in the rear, which would mean you would have to slaint the rear of the transmission down slightly. You need someone to hold and engage the front while the second individual slowing moves the rear of the transmission up/down and right/left until it slides in.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Ok, thanks! We'll try again in a few days. We actually did remove the transmission from the jack that we used... I don't remember 100 % which scrap wood we supported the tranny with. Maybe we need to try some different angles on the jack (putting different pieces of wood under the tranny). When we removed the transmission it just slid out without a noice...

Robert
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Duke of Understeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did a trans job on a GT3, I had a kid hand turning the crank by putting a massive wrench on the crank bolt. Slid on perfectly.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke of Understeer
When I did a trans job on a GT3, I had a kid hand turning the crank by putting a massive wrench on the crank bolt. Slid on perfectly.
OK, so maybe we have been fighting against the splines that are not aligned?

Robert
Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Duke of Understeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be. You can also take the CV flanges and hand turn them as you slide it on.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling transmission