996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2004 Turbo Cab on Ebay - Too Cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Turbo Cab on Ebay - Too Cheap?

This car seems too cheap but nothing is obviously wrong with it to me. Putting aside the possibility of my getting scammed as I am pretty careful before I send money to strangers in Nigeria... your thoughts on this car? Seems like $50k would be a more typical price, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ht_1435wt_1165
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I couldn't get used to the mods. In order not to put more $$ into the car, the buyer would have to live with those mods and not be tempted. Looks like the Techart front bumper paint is slightly off-color than the driver side front fender ( could be the exposure). If Rennfax, Carfax, PPI, don't reveal any major issues, it's a decent buy;
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PPI my friend, PPI.

Sounds like the owner played around a bit with their car...repaint for chips and a new windshield? As Ed pointed out the coloring on the repainted parts is off a bit and those aftermarket wheels don't do it for me but the latter is a personal preference. Some odd coloring on the dash, too -- just poor/overuse of armor all?

His attitude about the other buyer is a little off-putting, too. As someone who did a long distance purchase, I know it isn't always easy but if the buyer wants to buy and the seller wants to sell and both are reasonable people there should be a reasonable work around to give both parties the comfort they need.

Know anyone in Utah who can take a look at the car for you?

-Eric
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen a number of 996tt's in the 40's so not really all that low. Prior advice seconded...PPI critical.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:45 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

He's had some work done at the dealer in SLC a couple of times. My business is 15 minutes from there. If you're a prospective buyer and would like a walk around inspection before doing a PPI, find out if the car is in SLC and I'll have a look. I'd recommend Strong's Porsche for a PPI in SLC. I had half a dozen cars inspected before I bought mine, usually there is a reason for low priced cars. It took me several hundred in cash for PPIs to learn this.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I appreciate all the replies. Curious 2K3TTMIA what mods do you find troubling? I like the wheels fine. Is there something else?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking at the pics again the car has been lowered, and I'll bet it's a rough rider and most like scrapped up under the front end. I'm wondering how? Also side skirts don't match paint and as said earier bumper cover doesn't either. Interior looks like a hard driven daily beater, headliner pulling away from top. I'm guessing the owner is not a maintenance freak. This is relatively high miles for this year. More than 3X mine of the same year. I'm guessing the owner bought it cheap, had it a couple of years and is selling cheap. It would likely take several thousand to make it really nice but then you'd still have high mileage '04 Turbo.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what Ed's dislikes are but, aesthetically speaking, I've never been a particular fan of that front end. It's a little too boy racer for my tastes and when I see a kit like that on a car and also hear about replaced windshields, repainted body panels and wheels, I immediately think "abused" or, at least, "driven hard."

I also wonder why he picked it up for about year and is already flipping it. There are plenty of people who buy/sell or lease cars for a year at a time for any number of reasons but it just makes me pause and consider his reasons in light of everything else I know (or don't) about the auction and the car.

Also, I think it's interesting that it's a "NO RESERVE" auction with 0 bids and less than 24 hours on the clock. How long has this auction been active? What's his rush? Maybe the other buyer who backed out knows something we don't? As a guy who found comfort in buying a car in CA from a guy living in the UK (read: scam alert!), this one just smells...off. It could be absolutely nothing but I'd take my time with it and make sure it's all "right." I'll walk any time someone tries to pressure a sale.

-Eric

Last edited by Sue Esponte; 03-08-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

trying to mulit quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I appreciate all the replies. Curious 2K3TTMIA what mods do you find troubling? I like the wheels fine. Is there something else?
Originally Posted by nick49
Looking at the pics again the car has been lowered, and I'll bet it's a rough rider and most like scrapped up under the front end. I'm wondering how? Also side skirts don't match paint and as said earier bumper cover doesn't either. Interior looks like a hard driven daily beater, headliner pulling away from top. I'm guessing the owner is not a maintenance freak. This is relatively high miles for this year. More than 3X mine of the same year. I'm guessing the owner bought it cheap, had it a couple of years and is selling cheap. It would likely take several thousand to make it really nice but then you'd still have high mileage '04 Turbo.
Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I don't know what Ed's dislikes are but, aesthetically speaking, I've never been a particular fan of that front end. It's a little too boy racer for my tastes and when I see a kit like that on a car and also hear about replaced windshields, repainted body panels and wheels, I immediately think "abused."

I also wonder why he picked it up for about year and is already flipping it. There are plenty of people who buy/sell or lease cars for a year at a time for any number of reasons but it just makes me pause and consider his reasons in light of everything else I know (or don't) about the auction and the car.

Also, I think it's interesting that it's a "NO RESERVE" auction with 0 bids and less than 24 hours on the clock. How long has this auction been active? What's his rush? Maybe the other buyer who backed out knows something we don't? As a guy who found comfort in buying a car in CA from a guy living in the UK (read: scam alert!), this one just smells...off. It could be absolutely nothing but I'd take my time with it and make sure it's all "right." I'll walk any time someone tries to pressure a sale.

-Eric
likewise, not a fan of the Techart. Or even a 996TT masquerading as a GT2, which there happened to be on ebay a couple weeks ago?? too many questionable changes to an otherwise great car. as nick49 mentioned, a bit high on the miles. Not to take away from high mileage cars, but again, why did the seller purchase it less than a year ago, drop a good amount of money and now decides to re-sell?
Seller does mention new battery, new brakes, new wheels, clutch, spoiler motors, windshield, alternator, so the car should check out ok.

Interior doesn't look bad, but I have been spoiled by Natural Grey Leather. FWIW, with a spotless PPI, I'd still look at wholesale price and negotiate from there.

All in all, if it does sell, hopefully the buyer gets a good deal.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The price offered for a 2004 Turbo Cab is incredibly cheap.
I'm pretty surprised.
But given none of these pictures are very detailed - I'm going to guess the car is in rough shape.
I also think it's suffering from a really bad paint job all around.

If it were me looking for a 996 I would pass on this one.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Ok, I am off the ledge. Thank you all.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
This car seems too cheap but nothing is obviously wrong with it to me. Putting aside the possibility of my getting scammed as I am pretty careful before I send money to strangers in Nigeria... your thoughts on this car? Seems like $50k would be a more typical price, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ht_1435wt_1165
I read down below you've decided to walk away from the car.

I agree with your decision.

And just to keep you headed in the right direction, my soft top guy tells me that roughness making the canvas look unsmooth (the top guy used the word 'blisters' to describe them on a top we were looking at the time) can be a sign of a deteriorating top. Not the canvas but the rubber sheet that is under neath and which of course is the water and air barrier between the cabin's roof and the outside.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

anyone following this Turbo Cab? Consider the ending price.. Turbo S, low miles, nice options, extended warranty.detailed pics,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1438.l2649
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, low mileage is right.

Quick Reply: 2004 Turbo Cab on Ebay - Too Cheap?