Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

eBay auction closing (no PPI), under what conditions would you bid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay auction closing (no PPI), under what conditions would you bid?

Hi all,

I'm searching for a 996 C2 coupe, preferably an 02-04 car. I'm having a really hard time finding a clean car priced right (I see old listings for great prices and threads here where people have paid great prices, but the sellers I see are asking a LOT more).

So there's an eBay auction closing for an 03 C2 coupe with 80K miles, a clean carfax. The seller seems to have pretty good feedback, but obviously I haven't done a PPI.

Under what circumstances would you bid?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I would not bid without inspecting the car and a PPI. If you are really interested in it, I would e mail the seller and tell him you want a PPI before bidding. If there is not enough time then tell him if the car does not sell to contact you after the auction and maybe then you can make time to go look at the car and get a PPI done. My best advice to you is don't be in a rush. Take your time and find the right car at the right price. My personal experience has shown that in general Ebay cars are higher priced than many other cars on the open market.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't think of a good reason to bid. I know it's hard when you're itching to get behind the wheel but try to be patient. A last second purchase can't possibly end well.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Agreement that there is no prior collision damage and car is mechanically sound - no money changing hands until verified through PPI.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Thanks, guys.

It's a no reserve auction, so there's no chance the car will NOT sell.

The seller claims clearly in the ad that the car has been inspected and is completely sound mechanically with no leaks. If the car needs brakes and tires and plus, I wouldn't be surprised or upset. If the car has real engine problems, that's another story.

I emailed the seller to ask earlier if he'd be OK with me having a PPI done beforehand, and he said yes. But the car is on the other side of the country and I wasn't able to find anyone who could look at it for me locally...and at the time I didn't know what the price was going to be (again, no reserve auction) so I didn't arrange a PPI.

I'm pretty sure I won't bid. But it's tough to see what appears to be a very good car go by the wayside for what might be an extremely good price.

I'm not very picky in my search (just want a manual, a coupe, and a 996), but I haven't really found anything over the past few weeks that's not way overpriced.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Guess it just goes to show that more seller should list their cars on eBay as no reserve auctions...price ended up being bid up quite high, well more than I would paid for it without a PPI.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Waynes_box
Intermediate

What did the car end up selling for? Was that the gray one with 80k miles in la? Was looking at that too but wanted it inspected first..
Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine on eBay.

Contacted seller and told him if I got winning bid, that I would only purchase upon clean PPI. He agreed.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waynes_box
What did the car end up selling for? Was that the gray one with 80k miles in la? Was looking at that too but wanted it inspected first..
It went for just over $24K.

That's not an unfair price, but for a car with over 80k miles on it, it's certainly not a huge bargain -- and therefore it wasn't worth considering without a PPI.

I bought mine on eBay.

Contacted seller and told him if I got winning bid, that I would only purchase upon clean PPI. He agreed.
That's a smart strategy. In this case the listing said very clearly that inspections could only be done prior to the close of the auction.

I see a lot of folks around here who bought clean 02-03 996s with under 70k miles on them for under $25K. But right now I can only locate either really high mileage cars, or cars with asking prices MUCH higher.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
River
Racer

Check out Oregon prices.

It's dropping out here like crazy.

Wouldn't do anything without a PPI (a GOOD one too). I've seen a lot of cars that didn't move on CL locally that were "Well put together, maintained". And upon a look (just a look, not even a ppi), were ANYTHING but. Yet, poof. There they are, up on Ebay with bids.

Be careful! I'd seriously join PCA (if you haven't already), and buy through the mart. Better odds on finding something well loved...
Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have purchased 4 cars on Ebay. All have been very nice, one was local and I did my own PPI. It had a very bad rear diff leak and a foot and a half oil spot under it. It was US G'ment Jeep, been maintained well with all records. It went real cheap. The leak was a $5 rubber fill plug that shrunk and got hard. The others were a new Lexus and 2 Porsches, one that I'm driving now.

I had the manager of my CU contact the sellers guaranteeing available funds. I then got the sellers OK that my winning bid was 100% contingent upon the car passing a thorough PPI as well as a test drive and physical inspection by me prior to delivery. I also had the seller agree that if any issues were found that were not disclosed in the auction that the sales price would be renegotiated or said issues rectified to my satisfaction. All the sellers I have dealt with fully agreed. In fact none of 4 I purchased from required a deposit of any kind upon me winning the bid. All cars have been wonderful and represent the most painless, simplest and quickest transactions I have ever had. It's fun driving your new car half way across the country home as well.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 AM
fronesis47
Instructor

Originally Posted by nick49
I have purchased 4 cars on Ebay. All have been very nice, one was local and I did my own PPI. It had a very bad rear diff leak and a foot and a half oil spot under it. It was US G'ment Jeep, been maintained well with all records. It went real cheap. The leak was a $5 rubber fill plug that shrunk and got hard. The others were a new Lexus and 2 Porsches, one that I'm driving now.

I had the manager of my CU contact the sellers guaranteeing available funds. I then got the sellers OK that my winning bid was 100% contingent upon the car passing a thorough PPI as well as a test drive and physical inspection by me prior to delivery. I also had the seller agree that if any issues were found that were not disclosed in the auction that the sales price would be renegotiated or said issues rectified to my satisfaction. All the sellers I have dealt with fully agreed. In fact none of 4 I purchased from required a deposit of any kind upon me winning the bid. All cars have been wonderful and represent the most painless, simplest and quickest transactions I have ever had. It's fun driving your new car half way across the country home as well.
Thanks, Nick. This is a really helpful reply, and makes me think that I should try to contact potential eBay sellers if I spot a car I think is right. Most eBay listings are written in such a way that they suggest one could not do what you've done, but perhaps those rules are likely to be loosened if a serious buyer calls the seller and talks it through beforehand.

I know that if an eBay seller were to agree to these terms, then I'd be delighted to bid on their car.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Waynes_box
Intermediate

I tried offering a seller on an 02 with 58k mileage and had done the ims, clutch, rms and other maintenance stuff 23k and he replied that he wished me luck finding a car in that mileage, clean title, and that maintenance for that price. I don't think that was an unreasonable offer... Do you guys think that was an offer out of the ballpark? I think i need some type of price list to go by.. Are these 996 prices going up? I feel when I make a reasonable offer the sellers say I'm out of the ball park..
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at NADA.com, it will give you probably the most accurate book prices. Clean retail is $28,250 on an '02 with 58K miles. This is tops for a car with all books and service records, tools, 3 keys needs nothing, good tires, etc. You could also add up to $2k for the recent work. So if the car is mint $30K is not out of the question. I sold my '99 Cab with 61K miles for $30K in June '10. I got top dollar, but the car was in superb condition. The best cars out there will command a high price, the dogs, well, are just dogs and will sell for average trade in or there abouts. As we are getting toward spring and in some areas seeing signs of the economy improving the prices will be going up. My brother is in Porsche sales and he can't get enough nice used cars to sell. The clean cars go fast and the prices are going up. They hit botton a year or so ago.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Waynes_box
Intermediate

Retail? Shouldn't it be private party?

Quick Reply: eBay auction closing (no PPI), under what conditions would you bid?