Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

eBay auction closing (no PPI), under what conditions would you bid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 AM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waynes_box
I tried offering a seller on an 02 with 58k mileage and had done the ims, clutch, rms and other maintenance stuff 23k and he replied that he wished me luck finding a car in that mileage, clean title, and that maintenance for that price. I don't think that was an unreasonable offer... Do you guys think that was an offer out of the ballpark? I think i need some type of price list to go by.. Are these 996 prices going up? I feel when I make a reasonable offer the sellers say I'm out of the ball park..
My only guess is that prices are going up.

I wonder if you and I were talking to the same seller, because I also was talking with someone who had an 02 C2 coupe with 57K miles on it and all that recent work. I told him I thought $23K to $24K was a fair range, but he didn't even respond.

Now, the thing is, this is a rennlister, and so from looking at old threads I know that he paid $19K for the car. And I know he paid less than $3k for the maintenance work. So I was offering him $1K to to $2K in profit on the car.

Excellence has the prices on an 02 topping out at $25K, and ranging all the way down under $19K for a good car.

I think based on previous sales up to now, your offer was perfectly reasonable.

I also agree with you that private party sales should not be based on retail blue book. If they were, I'd sell all the cars I own right now.

But having said all that, I can't find a car at the price you offered, and if I could I would buy it immediately.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I was heavily into the 996 market last year while searching for my current car. Just out of curiousity I did some research this week to see if the market and 996 pricing has changed. I found that in general the prices have stayed about the same and perhaps increased slightly overall. This is really good news for all of us 996 owners and hopefully values have somewhat bottomed out. I also do not think the 991 rollout is going to effect our prices nearly as much as the newer model 997's.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Waynes_box
Intermediate

I'm not sure if it is same seller. I saw the ad on cl in sf. It was a nice dark blue coupe. I usually don't like dark colors but the dark blue has grown on me. I know I don't want a silver car though. I did find a white 02 with 80k and he wanted $23k which I thought was high as he hadn't done any type of maintenance such as clutch and stuff. I didnt think it would've been so hard to find a 996. I was hoping they were in the high 19-18k range now but even the 99s are still in the 20-23k range.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

The odds of someone selling a car with no reserve, and not shilling their auction, is zero. Sorry. I don't buy it. I would say the odds are significant that "the buyer decided not to buy" for some reason in 99% of these auctions. Lots of second chance options for the under-bidder I am sure!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by River

Be careful! I'd seriously join PCA (if you haven't already), and buy through the mart. Better odds on finding something well loved...
I thought you needed a VIN to join PCA.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche87
I was heavily into the 996 market last year while searching for my current car. Just out of curiousity I did some research this week to see if the market and 996 pricing has changed. I found that in general the prices have stayed about the same and perhaps increased slightly overall. This is really good news for all of us 996 owners and hopefully values have somewhat bottomed out. I also do not think the 991 rollout is going to effect our prices nearly as much as the newer model 997's.
I like the 991 styling & think it looks more 996 than 997. I believe 997 prices will drop & the 991 will help 996 values. I have always looked for the best car I can afford never the "best deal" & have never regreted what I paid or buying the car I did. Seems to me it takes $16k to get into a 996 & a 2002 or newer car is worth over $5k more than a 98-01 model.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM
NineElevenEr
Track Day

fronesis47,

Private msg. (PM) sent to you. Thx.

Quick Reply: eBay auction closing (no PPI), under what conditions would you bid?