UPS came today bearing gifts...and a couple random pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPS came today bearing gifts...and a couple random pics

Just waiting for my crush washers.

I was wondering what people think of the screw on oil filter kit that LN Engineering sells? Does it make the job easier? Any pluses or minuses to the conversion? Also, I'm just about to go to bed and don't feel like doing any metric conversions on Google - how many of these 5 liter bottles does my M96 need to equal 9 (or is it 10?) quarts? Thanks!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forget the days of cold which is worse than the days of old.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The L&N spin on is much easier. Very easy to install and much easier to change then the old canister style. BTW way you can get the crush washers and that filter locally at any NAPA Store. Also for those of you who are using Mobil One it is on sale at NAPA right now for $5.79 qt.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the L&N filter conversion on my car and it does make the oil changes a lot cleaner and easier. The only thing that bothers me now is that everyone recommends cutting your filter element apart to check for IMS bits. Not so easy with a filter in a can. I've thought of using a big pipe cutter to open it up. Still thinking it through in my head.
You will use about 9 litres of your oil for the fill (litres and US quarts are roughly equivalent). That's the way we do it in Canada eh!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

L&N spin on is ok. The factory setup really works well and you can more easily cut opent he filter and inspect for particles.

It's one of the few Ln product that I have purchased and said, "eh... this is nothing special. I stopped using mine. I really like the Low temp stat and of course the IMS bearing.

Your owners manual will let you know how many liters you need.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking a bit out of turn since I do not have the LN adapter, but the OEM canister is so easy to change, I never have seen the point of it. Plus, I like being able to inspect the filter easily.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

re: the spin on filter adapter, from LNE's site:

"The LN Engineering Spin-On Oil filter adapter also helps improve the longevity of your engine by providing full flow filtration, which means 100% of the oil gets filtered without having oil bypass the filter (as the factory filter housing allows for). Our design eliminates the factory bypass for the filter (engine still has a pressure relief in the oil pump to prevent over pressurization)."
Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
re: the spin on filter adapter, from LNE's site:

"The LN Engineering Spin-On Oil filter adapter also helps improve the longevity of your engine by providing full flow filtration, which means 100% of the oil gets filtered without having oil bypass the filter (as the factory filter housing allows for). Our design eliminates the factory bypass for the filter (engine still has a pressure relief in the oil pump to prevent over pressurization)."
Any idea on how to measure the frequency that the oil filter is bypassed on a stock setup ? This looks like the most interesting advantage for the LN.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

3.6l engine takes 8.25l of oil (from my 2002 manual)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

Are "Crush washers" the metal washers for the oil drain plug?

I have the LNE Spin-on oil filter and the magnetic drain plug. I'm not sure that it's any easier to change the filter, but it is definitely easier to find a filter, as most auto stores carry them. As far as it being a better filtering system - I took LNE's word for it. Could it be hype? Yes it could be, but they have a very good reputation in this area. The LNE drain plug is made of a harder material and takes a larger sized allen wrench, which makes it much less susceptible to stripping.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_North
Any idea on how to measure the frequency that the oil filter is bypassed on a stock setup ? This looks like the most interesting advantage for the LN.
My understanding is that the filter bypass only operates when there is a very large differential in pressure between the inside and the outside of the filter. Supposedly, in normal operation, this never happens. The bypass could also be triggered if there is a catastrophic engine failure and enough debris gets to the filter to clog it, but at that point, I think a filter bypass opening would be the least of your troubles.

I have also read that the filter bypass can get triggered at startup if you are using very thick oil in very cold temperatures. With the LN spin on filter adapter, since it has no bypass, this could lead to rupture of the filter element if a motor with very thick oil is started in very cold temperatures.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:52 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Longacre makse a very nice filter can opener.
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...=1043&catid=17
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Steve2112
Racer

Thanks for the comments everyone. When I had Jake do my IMSR I had him install a LNE magnetic drain plug during the work he did for me. Based on the comments here, and seeing that I want to inspect the filter for debris I think I will keep the stock filter setup then.

Yes - I meant the washer for the oil drain plug - not sure if it is the crush type or not - never seen one (yet). I am going to attempt my first Porsche oil change this spring. I'm going to search for a FAQ on how to do it - I am sure someone must have documented it with pictures.

I figured I would save a little money and learn something at the same time - self improvement is my goal. I'm sure it's not rocket science to do. I wish their was a lift rental place someone in the RI area - I don't know of any. I would rather do that than have to buy jack stands.

Regards,
Steve
Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Steve2112
Racer

One other newbie question if you don't mind. My car has the X51 engine, and I have heard that lots of people without X51 engine kits buy the X51 baffles. What advantages does this provide for people without the X51 baffle? Please educate me on this topic - I have no idea what the purpose of the upgrade is - but would love to learn.

Thanks!
Steve

Quick Reply: UPS came today bearing gifts...and a couple random pics