Sponsored by:

Boxster coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Bustingear
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster coolant smell

I have a 99 boxster that has had head gaskets replaced in the last 15k miles by a dealer. Recently I noticed that when I drive with the windows down I can smell the coolant inside the passenger compartment. Windows up no smell so it is outside.
Thee are no visible signs of leakage and it does not smell of burnt coolant at the exhaust. When I walk around around the car after driving hot I can smell it as well in particular around the side induction vents.
It has always had condensation inside the trunk over the coolant resivour and I have tried several caps with the current version being 04. It does use a little coolant over time and I have to add on occasion but I do drive it 500 miles a week. Where could this be coming from as it does look dry underneath. Could it be from the resiviour vent? Advice appreciated?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When was the water pump last replaced? I'd check that first, then I'd look at the reservoir tank (remove the carpeting from your trunk). Your car should not "use" any coolant at all no matter what, it's a closed system. a very small amount of condensation around the oil/coolant filler area is normal.

FYI, the 996 forum is for the 99-04 911, not the Boxster. Try the 986 forum next time. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell the dealer. Better now before its too late.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds more like a heater core problem to me, or you have a coolant leak. The system should not lose coolant. Typical suspects are hoses that weren't installed correctly, a clamp that isn't tight enough, or damaged hose from the repair. Other possibility is the coolant reservoir is cracked (even on a 986). Usually with the car on a lift, you can poke around with a flashlight and see the antifreeze residue from wherever it is leaking from.

Also interesting the head gaskets were replaced, the MLS gaskets are pretty much stronger metal than most parts in the engine. Do you know why they were replaced? I bet it was a misdiagnosis.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
Sounds more like a heater core problem to me, or you have a coolant leak. The system should not lose coolant. Typical suspects are hoses that weren't installed correctly, a clamp that isn't tight enough, or damaged hose from the repair. Other possibility is the coolant reservoir is cracked (even on a 986). Usually with the car on a lift, you can poke around with a flashlight and see the antifreeze residue from wherever it is leaking from.

Also interesting the head gaskets were replaced, the MLS gaskets are pretty much stronger metal than most parts in the engine. Do you know why they were replaced? I bet it was a misdiagnosis.
+1 I'd inspect the radiators too for cracks/leakage
Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
ONAFLYER
Advanced

Default coolant tank

Since you have condensation in the trunk, I would pull up the trunk mat and look in the corners. Mine leaked inside, and I smelled it on occasion. Drain was plugged so it never dripped underneath.

Good luck. Changing that tank is a PITA!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bustingear
I have a 99 boxster that has had head gaskets replaced in the last 15k miles by a dealer. Recently I noticed that when I drive with the windows down I can smell the coolant inside the passenger compartment. Windows up no smell so it is outside.
Thee are no visible signs of leakage and it does not smell of burnt coolant at the exhaust. When I walk around around the car after driving hot I can smell it as well in particular around the side induction vents.
It has always had condensation inside the trunk over the coolant resivour and I have tried several caps with the current version being 04. It does use a little coolant over time and I have to add on occasion but I do drive it 500 miles a week. Where could this be coming from as it does look dry underneath. Could it be from the resiviour vent? Advice appreciated?
My wag is the coolant tank has a small split.

There are things you can do depending upon how involved you want to get.

Of course you have to check for a possible leak of the heater core which can put a coolant smell into the cabin like you wouldn't believe.

And a leaking radiator hose under the car or a leaking radiator will do nearly the same.

I accidently found my Boxster's tank was leaking but driving the car around on a mild day with the A/C off. I got the car hot enough I could hear the radiator fans running.

Well, one anyhow. The passenger side fan proved to be non-operational.

While I checking the fan's operation I noticed a trail of what I suspected was coolant tracing the path the car took into its parking space.

I walked over to a large spot and checked to be sure it was coolant and it was. On the way back to the car I spotted coolant just gushing out of the now clearly bad coolant tank.

You can expose the engine by removing the cabin engine access panel and the top cover under the rear window and check for leaks around the water pump or from a coolant temp sensor fitting, or possibly signs coolant has been dripping onto the engine.

Look for a white residue/stain. 'course if any liquid coolant is present, that's even a clearer sign...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd vote for your yellowed coolant tank as well. My signs were loss of coolant, coolant smell and age of my original tank.GL
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Bustingear
Intermediate

Thanks for all the good help
This morning I heard the bearing start to go and sure enough the water pump let go on the way home. I'm betting that is most of it but where is heater core so I can inspect?
Thanks all.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

The heater core is in the frunk under the battery.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he is calling the engine lid the trunk since he says its condensation over the coolant resevoir. Anyway probably the resivoir tank leaking but best to have a pro look at it. There was the original caps had problems so porsche came up with a replacement. I think the is a cap color difference. Whats yours color? Best of luck it being something simple but after you had shop work I'd think maybe its related to that like an old hose going bad after handling.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Hey pac996, he has a Boxster...

Quick Reply: Boxster coolant smell