Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rennline Solid Mounts installed...first impressions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rennline Solid Mounts installed...first impressions....

Recently one of my ebay "Turbo" motor mounts suffered a failure after only about 8 months. This comes on the heals of my stock mounts developing a leak thus needing replacement. This time I decided to go hardcore and installed Rennline solid mounts. The car has JIC 7/10 coilovers, GT3 sway bars, harness bar, front strut bar, 19 wheels with low profile tires...it's about as extreme ride-wise as you want for a street car. I was aware of the potential Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) issues associated with solid mounts but went ahead anyway. After doing the install which is pretty easy, I took it out today for the first time. As expected, the Rennline's take the game up another couple levels in firmness...in other words the car now feels like a solid piece of granite on wheels. The good news is gear shifts are improved and very precise and the car stays more solid on quick left/right maneuvers. The not so good news is I now need to consult with my suspension guru because the rear end is not as willing to rotate in the corners.

As for NVH

Noise - You will get more noise from any loose nut/bolt (for me something under the dash and in an B pillar). More pronounced noise between 3-4k RPM. Not really a big deal and I drive with the windows down/tunes up as weather permits so noise won't be much of a factor. I seem to get a more engine noise into the cabin which I consider a good thing.

Vibration - Here is the negative which I would expect would be the deal breaker for most. Because of the firmness you get much more engine and road feel (vibration) through the steering wheel....will see if I can get used to this with more seat time or not. Perhaps a padded steering wheel and a nice set of driving gloves may be in order

Harshness - Here's a pleasant surprise; harshness is really not bad and in fact because of the firmness the car seems to glide over rough spots/expansion joints somewhat smoother.

Bottom line
I can see how this would not be for most and especially a daily driver. For me this is a not, so I'll keep this setup (for now) and see how it goes. For track junkies, I would expect this to be high on their list.

POS ebay mount

Rennline Solid Mounts

Last edited by FLY996; 08-13-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

whoa solid engine mount ! R-E-S-P-E-C-T !

I bet it will great on the track, just hope the rest of the car will not disintegrate while on the street

semi solid mount might be the way to go for a non-dedicated track car.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these stiffer and harder than the RS mounts that Suncoast sells?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Are these stiffer and harder than the RS mounts that Suncoast sells?
Rennline's would be stiffer.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I believe someone reported issues with timing being pulled by the knock sensors due to the vibration from solid mounts. Just a heads up. Hopefully that was an isolated case.

S.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:33 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I believe someone reported issues with timing being pulled by the knock sensors due to the vibration from solid mounts. Just a heads up. Hopefully that was an isolated case.

S.
Yeah I read that post and checked the issue with one of the local race shops. He said they race 996's with these mounts and do not see that problem. I've driven it a little harder the last two days and no apparent problems...seat of the pants feels like full on power...no CEL's. I'll bring it to the shop when he has time to run it with the computer and take a close look at the logs.

Last edited by FLY996; 08-12-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 PM
springgeyser
Racer

I believe that old post was a Wevo semi rigid mount potentially causing the issue.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

why would semi solid's throw a knock sensor error and not a solid mount?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fly, any chance you can tell us which "e-bay" mount you bought so we don't make the same mistake!

David
Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Fly, any chance you can tell us which "e-bay" mount you bought so we don't make the same mistake!

David
All of them! Stay with OEM, Wevo, or Rennline. Don't waste your money on cheap aftermarket motor mounts.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch

S.
I think that was me. We had a 3.6 Boxster on a dyno that just wasn't where it belonged with solid mounts. We put OEM back in and it immediately picked up something like 15 whp. I woudl have liked to replace the knock sensors first but we didn't have any at the time....

FWIW, I run TT mounts in my full-race 996. I would really love to try the solid Rennlines as I've zero rubber anywhere in my suspension already. Plus they just look so damn good sitting down there. This report may just push me over the edge. ...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reborn996

David
Deutsche Parts
Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the RS mounts. The solid mounts I think are too stiff. But it all depends on what you want out of the car.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fly, thanks! I was looking at those myself... saved me some grief.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

I know this thread is old but I figured I would comment anyway - My tranny mount was slightly cracked (barely visible) so my well known indy installed a wevo semi solid on my 99 and I LOVE IT. If you care about noise you probably wont love it since it does have a higher whine compared to stock since the stock mount is obviously much softer - but shifting (bleed and adjustment on the clutch at install likely added to it) is like butta! And frankly if the noise bothers you just tap the gas let the gear sync and it lowers the whine. Maybe its just the "seat power" feel but the new mount makes me feel like the transfer of power and the overall driveline just feels so much stronger. Great upgrade even if you dont need to replace the mount. I think it was about 120-140 bucks and install time was an hour.

Quick Reply: Rennline Solid Mounts installed...first impressions....