Sponsored by:

Front End Wobble & Weird Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Wobble & Weird Fan Noise

I've got a 2003 996 w/ 175000 miles on it.

When I am making a left-hand sweeping turn at moderate speed (35-55) the front end (feels like the right tire) starts to wobble and the steering wheel goes back and forth in my hand... It feels like a tire that is severely out of balance (though that is not it because it doesn't do it all the time) or like there are bumps in the road (though that is not it).

Does not do it when turning left or straight line...

Front wheel bearing?

+++

Next one...

My A/C/Heater/Vent fan makes a rubbing noise like the fan is contacting the housing when turned up above about half way... Almost like something has warped in there from extreme heat... Similar to if you put your finger against a spinning cooling fan. Here is the weird part... When I am in the parking deck and making right hand turns, the noise starts, but when I straighten out, it stops...

Ideas?

+++

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

JKC
Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

I meant to say, does not do it when turning right. By sweeping, I mean moderate speed, moderate radius turns like you find on highway loops and mergers and connectors and stuff. Hope that clears it up like mud.

Thanks,

JKC
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be alignment, tires or front suspension. Check what sort of tire wear you have. Run your hand over clean tire and see if you can feel cupping or such.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Tie rods shot?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Yea, sounds like suspension. Congrats on 175k miles! Maybe you can give us a few tips how you maintain the car
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM
JCreasy
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

As for the mileage and maintenance, I had a brain burp... It is actually 167500. 175000 is the next service interval and I was thinking about how close I was or was not to it when I typed.

Basically, I've just kept it pretty current with Porsche's recommendations and I've never driven it aggressive when it was cold, and I've never abused it. It is a daily driver and someone mentioned he/she thought that helps. I tend to agree.

I've had to replace tires, do brakes, do clutch (at which point they did the RMS), driver window regulator was acting up, water pump went out at about 130000, I broke a belt that was replaced under warranty, my roof drains clogged (it sits outside), I had a radiator leak somewhere and a fuel vent leak somewhere.

That's about all I can think of.

Not too bad for 165000 miles, daily driving, sitting outside in the weather and so forth.

When I hit 175 or 200 I am going to freshen up the entire car and I'll probably do a comprehensive post here on that for folks to follow and chip in. Basically update some parts of the exterior (bumper plugs, lenses, logos), freshen the paint, rims, I may do a splitter and something on the back (mine is a narrow body) and some interior stuff.

In any event, thanks, again, for the feedback.

JKC
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

tie rod bushings? Powerflex makes a kit for our cars.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can jack one side at a time and see if moving the tire gives the culprit away. Normally bearings wont go to wobble till driving straight. Cupping on the tire tread is a suspension problem normally and mostly related to ball joints. While its jacked up and turning from holding the tire, if you get slack when moving the tire like turning then you know its wrong. Do you have any slack in wheel movement?

Back again. I'd just take it to a shop or dealer since they are going to be doing the alignment after repair anyway. Makes shorter work.

Last edited by Pac996; 02-24-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Front End Wobble & Weird Fan Noise