Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

To the OP, modern performance engines can run 1 qrt per 1,000 miles and still be in spec, I think you mentioned your engine had always used this much.
Enjoy your car and just keep an eye on it, don't let this thread resolve into a rebuild your engine now, or your doomed to a scrapping your engine
Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
To the OP, modern performance engines can run 1 qrt per 1,000 miles and still be in spec, I think you mentioned your engine had always used this much.
Enjoy your car and just keep an eye on it, don't let this thread resolve into a rebuild your engine now, or your doomed to a scrapping your engine
Thanks Ross for your support. No worries, I will not rebuild my engine without symptoms or new data showing up. You bet I'll keep a very close eye on it though (have always been) and yes, I'm enjoying it almost everyday.

Yes, I'm not worrying about the oil consumption at all since it's been like that since new. I have heavy oil grim on the outside of the throttle body intake so I think a lot of oil just got sucked into the engine due to the sub par AOS.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Donovani
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just picked up a CPO 2006 C2S with 36,000 miles I have been following this and the IMS threads closely. Before Mobil 1 I used AMZOIL but for the past ten years have had excellent results with Redline in my other cars so would tend to stick with that rather than switching to MOTUL. Porsche recommends 0-40 but several posts on Rennlist suggest 5-40. I plan to switch from the fresh Mobil 1 in the 2006 and am interested in the logic of 5-40 vs 0-40--or some other weight. Any and all suggestions on alternatives would be appreciated.
Also, I am interested in recommendations on a good source for Oil analysis. In a pinch there is always an AMZOIL kit for $32 but I would expect there might me someone who has a better data base on Porsche's.
Thanks for the excellent thread.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Donovani
Having just picked up a CPO 2006 C2S with 36,000 miles I have been following this and the IMS threads closely. Before Mobil 1 I used AMZOIL but for the past ten years have had excellent results with Redline in my other cars so would tend to stick with that rather than switching to MOTUL. Porsche recommends 0-40 but several posts on Rennlist suggest 5-40. I plan to switch from the fresh Mobil 1 in the 2006 and am interested in the logic of 5-40 vs 0-40--or some other weight. Any and all suggestions on alternatives would be appreciated.
Also, I am interested in recommendations on a good source for Oil analysis. In a pinch there is always an AMZOIL kit for $32 but I would expect there might me someone who has a better data base on Porsche's.
Thanks for the excellent thread.
Welcome to Rennlist! There are tons of oil threads so you may want to do a search. Note that both mobil 0w40 and motul 5w40 x-cess are approved by Porsche. I chose Motul because it's a little thicker at moderate temp, which makes the valves quieter in morning start up. I had a very slight valve ticking at start up when using 0w40.

The other weight I may try is mobil 5w-50 (also Porsche approved) for its molybdenum. Will see. For oil analysis, Blackstone is quite popular.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Donovani
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul

Thanks Ahsai,

I will check out Blackstone.

As Motul is recommended by Porsche ,I would tend to go with that as it is a type 5 oil while Mobil 1 is a type 4. But, having said that, in the 1960s and 1970s before we had synthetic oils, I had great success with MoS2 molybdenum additives, particularly for curing sticky 2nd gearbox problems.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
A perfectly running engine with moderately elevated copper values reported on a mail-in oil analysis is doomed... Just waiting for the con-rods to come crashing through the engine block?
Originally Posted by rossclifford
Just to be clear, I agree 100% with the watch/wait approach. No way I'd split the cases on a typical 996 with no symptoms or issues other than high copper on an oil report. I was just trying to clarify Flat6's perspective on the issue.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pfbz
Just to be clear, I agree 100% with the watch/wait approach. No way I'd split the cases on a typical 996 with no symptoms or issues other than high copper on an oil report. I was just trying to clarify Flat6's perspective on the issue.
That's the way I understood your post -- sometimes I think Flat 6 thinks that an M96 is code for a grenade!!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Ahsai,

A thought/question/observation:
I have a C2 cab with 55k miles. Pretty close to your mileage. My UOA shows normal ranges for copper & iron with Motul 5-40. I change at 5k or 6 month intervals and always before winter sets in.
That is when the car drops from 3-4 days use to maybe as little as 1day in 2-3 weeks, depending on salty roads.

Looking back at some of the comments from Macster & others, about acids suspended in the oil, if you are running 5k or 3k oil changes that stretch to a year in the crankcase maybe the acid suspended in the oil is getting too long to work on your internal bits?

Quick Reply: Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?