Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

4-wheel alignment - requires 6-10 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 4-wheel alignment - requires 6-10 miles?

hi

had the car on lifts in the bodyshop, they tell me I have to drive it in the winter salt and slush for 6-10 miles after been raised for it to "settle". never had to do that for any other car, just jounce a bit, sit in it and then good to go for alignment. don't really fancy driving it now mid winter. is it really necessary?

Mike
Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
hi

had the car on lifts in the bodyshop, they tell me I have to drive it in the winter salt and slush for 6-10 miles after been raised for it to "settle". never had to do that for any other car, just jounce a bit, sit in it and then good to go for alignment. don't really fancy driving it now mid winter. is it really necessary?

Mike
Not based on my info.

Find another shop.

I've had both of my Porsches aligned with no miles after the car was lifted in fact after the car was fitted with new tires and driven less than 100 feet from the bay where the car was in the air receiving new tires to the alignment bay with no alignment issues at all.

The only guidelines that I'm aware of is the tank be full of gas, excess weight removed, and a spare tire, tool kit (whatever the car came with from the factory) be fitted and in its proper location. Oh and the tires be properly inflated.

Some places make a big deal out of putting some weight in the driver's seat. I've had cars done with and without the weight and can't tell the difference.

BTW, I watched a Porsche tech align my Turbo and with car on the alignment rack he grabbed something under the front of the car and got the car's nose a bobbing a bit then repeated this at the rear of the car. The car came off the lift with a super alignment and the steering wheel was dead centered.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks - my thoughts exactly.

Quick Reply: 4-wheel alignment - requires 6-10 miles?