996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Loctite: Strength for FW bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012 | 02:57 PM
peavynation
Pro

Default Loctite: Strength for FW bolts?

Changing the clutch, IMSB, etc. Posting DIY when finished.

Question: What color (strength) loctite should I use on the:

Flywheel bolts
Pressure plate bolts
Axle Flange bolts (should I use it here?)

I ask because the flywheel has VERY fine threads, I'm worried they might strip out or break on next removal if too-strong a loctite is used. (BTW, will torque to spec of 25Nm, then single 90 degree rotation as per WSM).

Worried about the same on the axle flange bolts, but mostly because I'm not replace them as I am with the flywheel and PP bolts.
Old 02-07-2012 | 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by peavynation
Changing the clutch, IMSB, etc. Posting DIY when finished.

Question: What color (strength) loctite should I use on the:

Flywheel bolts
Pressure plate bolts
Axle Flange bolts (should I use it here?)

I ask because the flywheel has VERY fine threads, I'm worried they might strip out or break on next removal if too-strong a loctite is used. (BTW, will torque to spec of 25Nm, then single 90 degree rotation as per WSM).

Worried about the same on the axle flange bolts, but mostly because I'm not replace them as I am with the flywheel and PP bolts.
I do not know what if any Loctite should be used, but you need to check. One way is to visit your local Porsche dealer parts department to buy new fasteners and at the same time have someone look up what thread treatment is needed for the fasteners and what the part number is.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-07-2012 | 04:22 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

No, do not use loctite on any of these fasteners.

Per macsters comments, NONE of these bolts are micro encapsulated, and they come "from the factory ready to install".

Tigten the flywheel and pplate bolts in a crossing pattern, and mark the 90 degree stretched FW bolts when you are done with each one using a sharpie. That way you don't accidentally turn one 180 degrees and another one 0 degrees.

I hope you bought new flywheel bolts, since they are single use.
Old 02-07-2012 | 05:42 PM
peavynation
Pro

Thanks folks! Sounds good. I'm buying new bolts with the new flywheel, so I'll leave them as-is. Marking with a sharpy is a good call. I was going to mark them simply to know when I was at 90 degrees without using the wrench handle and "remembering", but your right, it'll also be a good indicator so that I know which ones I hit and which ones I didn't. Good call.
Old 02-07-2012 | 07:21 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

I use blue Loctite on all these bolts. It reduces the chance of one of them backing out on you. In theory if they are torqued properly you don't need it, but I like the safety factor. IMHO
Old 02-07-2012 | 09:19 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

The loctite changes the torque factor, since it acts as a lubricant.

Also, if you don't clean out all the old loctite with a thread chaser or re-use bolts the torque factor changes again.

Quick Reply: Loctite: Strength for FW bolts?