996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Uh-Oh! Need some advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If those metal fragments were ferrous,don't drive that car!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

It is normal to have a few metal flakes in your oil filter. I monitored my oil filter for 20K miles before the retrofit and it always had bits of chain guides and small pieces of metal. People here are jumping to conclusions without pictures.

OP,
Did you take a cell phone pic that you can post so you are not ead down the direction of worst case scenario? Everyone is trying to be helpful here and giving you the safest advice.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would just go ahead and get it replaced. I was "lucky" enough to need a new clutch shortly after I bought my car and it sure felt good to have it done
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,844 Likes on 2,870 Posts

when i purchased my 996 i had the oil filter AND oil drained to check for metal particulants or coolant....the coolant was checked for any signs of oil....after your filter is cut open, here is what your oil filter should look like...totally clean...if there are any metal shavings or metal particles something is being worn:
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
If those metal fragments were ferrous,don't drive that car!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure macster will chime in but follow this ^ advice. There are only certain areas of the engine that can give off ferrous (sticks to a magnet) particles. Any ferrous metal and that is not a good sign.

That price for the IMS replacement is a solid deal, especially for a tip. You can ask 30 folks on this board and get 30 different answers but a new LN single row installed by my indy (with all new flywheel bolts etc etc) is $2400. And that is for a 6speed.

It's a damn sahme that this car was abused before it was used. 3,000 in 4 years and wearing dry rot tires? sad. You can bring her back though!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

where in ohio are you, what shop is this?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds about right. I was just quoted the same for mine.
BTW a PPI would catch that, on my PPI I specifically requested to have the oil filter removed and cut open for inspection as well as over rev counts. That is why you should always take a PPI seriously.
Anyway water under the bridge for you. Go get the IMS/RMS done!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone - the advice and the pictures were very helpful. Wish I had thought to take pictures of the filter - didn't occur to me at the time.

I just wanted to make sure I was thinking straight and not overlooking something, and to confirm the price was reasonable. I figured it was, but always like to check when possible.

The tires shipped today so this should all be over fairly soon.

Thanks again,

Ted
Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soverystout
I'm sure macster will chime in but follow this ^ advice. There are only certain areas of the engine that can give off ferrous (sticks to a magnet) particles. Any ferrous metal and that is not a good sign.

That price for the IMS replacement is a solid deal, especially for a tip. You can ask 30 folks on this board and get 30 different answers but a new LN single row installed by my indy (with all new flywheel bolts etc etc) is $2400. And that is for a 6speed.

It's a damn sahme that this car was abused before it was used. 3,000 in 4 years and wearing dry rot tires? sad. You can bring her back though!
$2400 for IMS is a ripoff!...anyone paying more than $1500 is getting scammed..you know what they say about more money than brains.
my indy charges $1500 with tax and he is one of the most respected shops in seattle...7hrs labor and bolts/bearing cost is $650.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

G-zilla.....this is a tip car. The engine has to come out. This is a fair price. You are correct however for a 6 speed.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soverystout

i was referring to this post...he has a 6 speed and paid $2400 at indy mechanic...they must serve a hell of a wine, a nice aged cheese and have lots of cute hookers in the back room while waiting for you and your car to be finished.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Gotcha! Sorry about that.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

not sure if i'll be able to stay away from this forum...the 996 is a great car for the $ and those of us that either don't want to sell our older beloved porsches or have kids in college just don't have the extra bucks to go up a level to turbo or 997.

i pick up my 82 911sc in about an hour!...also the buyer of my 996 wired the $$ into my account last night (problem cashiers check)so life is good and long live my356!!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Please post up some commentary on the new car. I for one will look forward to it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
when i purchased my 996 i had the oil filter AND oil drained to check for metal particulants or coolant....the coolant was checked for any signs of oil....after your filter is cut open, here is what your oil filter should look like...totally clean...if there are any metal shavings or metal particles something is being worn:
A running engine does not wear? Damn, what oil are you using and where can I buy some?

Again, finding a small amount of metal flecks, that can be seen while holding the cut oil filter at certain angles, is not uncommon for a auto. engine. If, on the other hand, the amount of metal is excessive and it is ferrous then that could certainly be a cause for concern. All of this is pure speculation without the aid of pictures and the knowledge of whether or not the metal is ferrous.

The amount of fear mongering here by people who do not know the facts is stunning. I guess all of that guerilla marking here and elsewhere has really paid off and apparently there is no need for it’s continuation as the boards have been fairly quiet with few new carnage threads.

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh! Need some advice.....