996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

how to attach the CTEK to the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to attach the CTEK to the battery?

can i fully close the hood with the wires running out of it? I saw the battery is located in the front, is it easy to access?

also, is it plug and play? is there anyone that uses this who can please give me instructions specific for our cars? thanks!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

also, is this the sta-bil i should be using? it's the "ethanol treatment" since the gas i get from the plain ol' shell/mobil/cheveron has ethanol in it.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
can i fully close the hood with the wires running out of it? I saw the battery is located in the front, is it easy to access?

also, is it plug and play? is there anyone that uses this who can please give me instructions specific for our cars? thanks!!!
If you are going to drive the car intermittently and want to use the CTEK to maintain the battery when you are letting the car sit for more than a week then buy the cigarette lighter attachment. It plugs into the CTEK and into your 12V socket and charges that way. I've done this for a couple of winters with no untoward effects, as far as I can tell. If you are storing the car and won't be driving it at all over the winter then take the battery out and attach the trickle charger (CTEK) to the battery while outside the car. Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

I put the two pin plug on my battery and run the wires out toward the wipers. There is no gasket between the hood and the cowl in that area, so no pressure on the wires or hood.
The marine stabilizer is getting good reviews for treatment of fuel with ethanol content.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

- & + Sorry I could not resist I'm a typo tourette.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 AM
gquincoces
3rd Gear

Default Charging Battery through Cig lighter

Originally Posted by Quix
If you are going to drive the car intermittently and want to use the CTEK to maintain the battery when you are letting the car sit for more than a week then buy the cigarette lighter attachment. It plugs into the CTEK and into your 12V socket and charges that way. I've done this for a couple of winters with no untoward effects, as far as I can tell. If you are storing the car and won't be driving it at all over the winter then take the battery out and attach the trickle charger (CTEK) to the battery while outside the car. Enjoy!
+1 That is what I do and close the door on the wire with no problem.
GQuincoces
Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the jump start terminals in the engine compartment and it works fine. No gaskets on the engine lid.

Trending Topics

Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Looks like I have to take te battery out n charge it in the house.. I don't have power outlet in garage. Aside from the stereo settings, is there any thing else that's going to reset itself over the course of a month n half?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The orange clip-connector is where the you connect your CTEK to the battery charging cable. I mounted my CTEK on a cupboard and run a 5m extension cable to a power point.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
Looks like I have to take te battery out n charge it in the house.. I don't have power outlet in garage. Aside from the stereo settings, is there any thing else that's going to reset itself over the course of a month n half?
You don't have a power garage door opener?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the stereo settings, is there any thing else that's going to reset itself over the course of a month n half?
Yes; if you have manual seats you will lose your presets.
Clock will reset. That was obvious.
Odometer will clear trip settings. That too was obvious (maybe less so).
Anything else? I lost all those when my battery died, in any case, so if you let it run out you're in the same spot anyway.
Meanwhile, when I brought my car in recently, service desk tells me, "It's not uncommon for a battery off a trickle charger to die in two weeks, even if doors are locked."
That seems extreme; true?

Quick Reply: how to attach the CTEK to the battery?