Becker Autosound aux-in modification to the CDR-23

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Zapna
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becker Autosound aux-in modification to the CDR-23

SUMMARY:
I had the Becker Autosound aux in mod done to my radio and discovered that it is MONO! UNLESS YOU WANT A MONO AUX IN, DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS MOD!!! IT IS A COMPLETE RIP-OFF.

DETAIL:
I wanted to share with everyone my experiences with Becker Autosound and the CDR23 Aux in modification. I think that the expression “you can’t polish a turd” applies to the CDR23, but it is important to me to maintain the factory look, which precluded the installation of an aftermarket head unit and left me stuck with the CDR23. I however wanted the convenience of Bluetooth hands-free phone and streaming audio, so I needed some way to add an aux in to the turd, I mean radio. I looked closely at the Denison unit, but that unit wasn’t a great fit (it’s really designed to be plugged in to your phone) and stupid expensive. Next I looked at the in-line FM modulator option. I purchased and installed a unit, but it sounded awful, so out came the modulator. I found on the RennList forum links to Becker Autosound and I thought I had found the solution to my problem! I pulled the radio and sent it off to Becker. When I returned from a relaxing week in Barbados, the radio was waiting for me. Yay! Now, prior to ordering, I spoke to Ed at Becker Autosound and found out that the way the input works is when a jack is plugged in to a jack that they add, it overrides the tuner. When unplugged, it reverts back to the tuner. This wouldn’t work for my Bluetooth application, so I knew some modifications to their modification would be necessary and I purchaed a signal sensing switch from PIE Electronics to allow for auto switching between the output of the tuner and the input from my Bluetooth unit. Upon inspection of the radio, I found the mod by Becker to be very unprofessional, in my opinion. They drilled a hole in the back of the unit and snaked a wire out the hole that was a couple of feet long, terminating in a black box with a 3.5mm jack in it. Upon opening the black box, I discovered that the wire coming from the radio only had three conductors! I was stymied as to how this could possibly work. Well, after several hours of noggin scratching and experimenting I came to the disturbing realization that the aux input is MONO! Ack!! I just dropped a hundred bucks for a MONO input?? To say I was pissed is quite an understatement. I can’t imagine that Becker would build a radio for a Porsche with a mono FM tuner, so I can only conclude that Becker Autosound combined the stereo signal, thus making it mono, to allow for this mod. I called Becker Autosound for clarification; no one could answer my question at the time and I was told someone would call me back with the answer. Still waiting for that call back. I did complete my installation, and the sound quality is CRAP. The in-line FM modulator that I had originally installed sounded every bit as good as the Becker mod. So, if you want decent sound quality from an aux in, buy the Denison unit. That is what I will be doing.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
solosailor
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Well that a bummer. The iPod interface I bought for my CDR-220 is a standard iPod dock connector and was like $35.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the Solisto product? http://www.solisto.de/en/caraudio/solistopro
Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by solosailor
Well that a bummer. The iPod interface I bought for my CDR-220 is a standard iPod dock connector and was like $35.
This is what I have also. Sounds great, stereo, and cheap. Easily switches from AUX to tuner to CD.

Is there that much difference in a 23 vs 220?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Zapna
Advanced

Down South, there is a HUGE difference between the 220 and the 23 in that the 23 uses the MOST fiber optic system to interconnect different parts of the audio system for sound and control. Specifically, between the head unit and the amp in the bonnet. So, unfortunately, on the 23, that handy analog aux in jack on the back of the 220 was eliminated.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 AM
Zapna
Advanced

Lord Vicious, that would be great, except it doesn't appear to be compatible with the cdr23.
http://www.solisto.de/en/radios/porsche
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Jeff996
Instructor

It may be stereo; left and right channel share ground on many headphone cables.

Look at a male headphone cable plug, it only has three seperate metal sections.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow thanks.
I had just recieved an email from Beck about that mod and NO WHERE did it say was only mono.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapna
Down South, there is a HUGE difference between the 220 and the 23 in that the 23 uses the MOST fiber optic system to interconnect different parts of the audio system for sound and control. Specifically, between the head unit and the amp in the bonnet. So, unfortunately, on the 23, that handy analog aux in jack on the back of the 220 was eliminated.
Glad I don't have the MOST system!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Scarab440
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff996
It may be stereo; left and right channel share ground on many headphone cables.

Look at a male headphone cable plug, it only has three seperate metal sections.

And mono cables have 2 wires not three. At least all the ones I've spliced.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy solution. Add some fd motorsport fister mufflers and turn off the radio!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by solosailor
Originally Posted by Down South
This is what I have also. Sounds great, stereo, and cheap. Easily switches from AUX to tuner to CD.
OT: Can you guys please post or PM me the info on this $35 cable for the CDR-220? Does it work with the iPod Touch and iPhones, and does it charge the devices?

TIA
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Zapna
Advanced

To clarify: the three wires carry 1) the signal FROM the tuner, 2) the signal TO the preamp, 3) ground. When an aux source is not present, the signal from the tuner is connected to the wire that feeds the preamp allowing the radio signal to played. When an aux source is connected, that signal path is boken and the left and right channels of the aux source are combined and sent to the preamp (thus disconnecting the signal from the tuner). In order to have a stereo aux in, five wires would be needed; two from the tuner, two to the preamp, and one ground.

TIA: heres the link for the aux cable, which I understand works great: http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsc...CDR%20220.html
Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Zapna
Advanced

G$, I did exactly that coming back from Greenville last week. Sun out, top down, with just the tunes of the engine!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Joust
AutoX

i thought this was a mistake. but indeed it is a MONO input. That is ridiculous.
They already have my deck so i told them to go ahead and do it.
I'll most likely throw it away though.
I am very disappointed with Becker. they say nowhere in the add that it is a Mono modification.
Its a Lie of omission in my opinion.
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsc...nput_link.html
DON'T DO IT.

I'm a tech. so what i'm going to do is...
modify the amp.
I'll tap into the main audio input inside the power amp.
i'll put audio signals into that part. I can put a Pot on it to provide volume.
We lose tone control but what device would we use that does not have a volume and tone control anyway?
Schematics would be nice if anyone has any.

EDIT:
changed my mind and bought a new system. junking all this becker junk. the company P.Oed me so much.
Even after saying they would send my deck back unmodified they reneged because it was already packed for shipping.
A supposed high end company with very poor business practices.
I am a very unhappy Becker customer.

Last edited by Joust; 06-05-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Becker Autosound aux-in modification to the CDR-23