Sponsored by:

Best trickle charger and fuel stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best trickle charger and fuel stabilizer

So the general consensus and after talking to a Porsche mechanic, I decided not to have my buddy drive it weekly, but to fill it up full with addition of fuel stabilizer, overinflate tires a 5-10 PsI over what's listed on the tire, an add a trickle charger that connects to the cigarette port.

So what are the best fuel stabilizers and trickle charger (that won't over charge n fry the battery as I read online).. And is 5-10 psi over what's written on the tire okay?

Also, why do people store the car over winter? I might be living in NJ for a few years beginning this summer and the 911 will be my daily driver.

Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't think you need to store your vehicle over winter unless you want to. I've daily driven my car for the past 6 years (5 in Boston) with no issues. I end up washing my car a lot and some nuts and bolts certainly get more corroded than if you didn't drive in wet/slush/salt, but it's not a big deal in my mind.

The pressure printed on the side of the tire is a maximum inflation pressure. I would not exceed this pressure by 5-10psi. I'll let others chime in with what they use, but I'd suggested 5-10psi over the normal running pressure rather than the tire's maximum.

I understand Sta-bil works well, but I've never used it personally. Likewise, since I never store my car I don't know which battery tender is the best option.

-Shawn
Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For storage, use the max pressure on the tire. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Stabil for the fuel. CTEK battery maintainer: exactly the same as the Porsche branded one but at a third the price.
Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Winter Storage is printed in your owner's manual. It will tell you to over inflate your tires to 58 PSI. IIRC. This has nothing to do with the maximum pressures listed on the tire sidewall. If you can, use nitrogen.

As for Sta-Bil it works great. The dosage is 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of fresh fuel. Try to find fuel without alcohol.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

THe CTEK has clamps for the battery from under the hood.. So the hood needs to stay open? Where does the ctek get its power from? Is there a good trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette hole? How do u install it?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
THe CTEK has clamps for the battery from under the hood.. So the hood needs to stay open? Where does the ctek get its power from? Is there a good trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette hole? How do u install it?

Thanks!
You can buy the Porsche one for about $50 from Sunset. Plug into your wall outlet and into the cigarette plug. Close the door.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a source that is close to 80% nitrogen.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX

Thanks!
Uh... it gets its power from the outlet on your wall!

You can get a lighter plug adapter for it. That's what I like about the CTEK...lots of options.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Use the supplied adapter just like the pic in the above post, but for battery -/+ posts. Plug the connector from the charger, close bonnet.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just posted on this yesterday (see Immobilized) for the CTEK charger, and in the "things you didn't know" link, see my pic from the manual on where to charge in the engine bay. For the trickle charger, one end goes into the wall outlet, the other onto/into your battery or rear terminals. It really is that easy.

No, you don't need to winterize it if you want to drive it. If you don't want to drive it, there are multiple things you can do, but as a previous post said, which I think you read, stabilizer in the fuel as above, trickle charger as above, consider overinflation as above.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

http://batterytender.com/

Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Tires, aobut 45 lbs should do it. Sta-Bil to stabilize the gas (make sure you add some then let it mix thoroughly, and run it thru the injectors). I use the Porsche trickel charger, plugs into the wall and into your cigarette lighter (leave whichever window down a notch). If you have a possible mouse problem, then use bounce sheets all over the place (I am told the cornstarch the Germans use to color and cover their wiring is the reason why the little buggers like to chew). If you live in an environment where in the Spring it gets humid, (while still in the garage before she goes out regularly) then consider hanging off the steering wheel a "Damp Rid" bag, this will absorb any moisture and prevent any moldy smell.
Wait patiently, consume good scotch, smoke a cigar, and wait, repeat until Spring!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Use Stabil Marine if the fuel in your area contains ethanol.

Battery Tender is inexpensive and works great.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

read up on the Sta Bil website... looks like I can use the Marine one for my car just as you mentioned thank you!

my tank is at 1/2 now.. my buddy will fill the tank with Stabil, then top it off full, drive it around a bit, giving it chance to mix and run through the piping. he'll then inflate the tires to the maximum of the rage provided on the tire, hook up the ctek and store it till i get back..

it's the worst thing ever.. i got the car a few days ago and i cant even drive it hahaha

Quick Reply: Best trickle charger and fuel stabilizer