996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best trickle charger and fuel stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C-tek and optima make very good battery tenders... as far as fuel treatments, make sure you get an ethanol treatment as the US is using more ethanol in our fuels now. Sta-bil and the other major fuel treatment manufacturers make it.

the reason why you want an ethanol treatment is that ethanol causes your fuel to absorb water (which will lead to rust in your fuel tank) and ethanol causes plastic and rubber parts to swell up (which may render certain parts non-functional).

I already had a motorcycle that had had it's plastic fuel tank swell up and became deformed to the point where it began to leak fuel.

Also, fuel lines suffered as well as possibly the fuel pump.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so should i get the stabil marine or stabil ethanol? both seem to target ethanol gasoline mixtures per their website.

the marine is supposed to be heavy duty cause jetski's boats experience lots of water. so which 1?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not use stabil in my pcar (but in every other motor that sits for the winter). The NE is having a mild winter and I've drove the car twice last month and lots in December. I use a charger because I do not drive it weekly like in spring and summer. If you can use the gan in the tank within a month I dont think you need stabil. If you truly are leaving it sit for 2-3 months I would add stabil, battery charger and add 5 lbs of air to the regular pressure. DO NOT OVERINFLATE tires!

I believe if you dont want leaky seals you need to drive the car at least every 3 weeks for 30+ miles. Besides it gives you something to look forward to. You will have less problems if you drive it than you will if it just sits.

Quick Reply: Best trickle charger and fuel stabilizer