996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WP has been written about extensively here. Apart from failure, another big concern is degradation of the plastic impeller leading to tiny chips possibly breaking off and getting lodged in the cooling capillaries in the head causing a cracked head or worse. Changing at 60K is good practice. It's not that difficult of a job. A word of caution. I was sold a 997 WP initially and the impeller was 3/32" larger in diameter than the 996 WP. The 997 WP would not spin inside of the housing. Had I not checked by spinning the pulley, I would have had a big problem.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has started dropping fluid a little, so I guess it's about that time to replace. 79K on the clock, so I feel that's about fair, but why are the prices soo freakin high for a water pump???? Technology doesnt equal the price. It's a PUMP that moves overpriced modified WATER!!!!!

I'm done.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LordVicious
Waterpump replacement is somewhat north of $1000...... .
What dealer is that?......'cause someone got shafted, and we need to make sure people avoid this particular dealer.......

That kind of price I expect to pay for a new clutch at an indy shop, including parts and labor...
Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the going "actual" price you've paid or inquired about for a water pump install via indy and dealer?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

^^ To be fair that'd be a pretty good price on a clutch.

RE: Waterpump/coolant, at full price it would be $685.54 here in Raleigh NC at an independent. That's with Porsche coolant and pump, parts and labor. I'd expect the dealer to be a bit more though $1000 sounds a little high.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the Hilton Head dealer wanted $1280 ($450 for the pump, $80 for the thermostat, $100 for the coolant) and 3.5 hours labor as I recall. That was for a 986 and yes I realize they are different. An indy over towards Spartenburg wanted about $1000.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
WP has been written about extensively here. Apart from failure, another big concern is degradation of the plastic impeller leading to tiny chips possibly breaking off and getting lodged in the cooling capillaries in the head causing a cracked head or worse. Changing at 60K is good practice. It's not that difficult of a job. A word of caution. I was sold a 997 WP initially and the impeller was 3/32" larger in diameter than the 996 WP. The 997 WP would not spin inside of the housing. Had I not checked by spinning the pulley, I would have had a big problem.
My car must be blessed because even at 170K + miles when the WP started making noise and was id'd as 'bad' from play at the pulley the composite plastic impeller was intact and in fine shape. I got the old WP back and carefully examined it.

I did not see the new replacement pump -- the work was done at a dealer so I assume a factory WP was used -- so I do not know if the new WP had the same composite plastic impeller or if it was made of some other material.

Upon carefully looking over the old WP I did notice some sign with the original WP the impeller blades had come on contact with the WP cavity in the engine casting. There were what appeared to be small grooves on the edges of the blades that looked as if they had been made with contact with the rough surface of the WP cavity in the engine casting.

The WP shaft play was not nearly bad enough to allow the impeller to move enough for this to have happened.

I do not know where I got this idea but it the idea occurred to me the contact could have been intentional so there's some initial abrasion and wearing in so the impeller blades run very very close to the alum. of the engine casting to make the pump very efficient, that is to reduce the amount of coolant that can escape between the gap between the impeller blades and the engine casting.

Anyhow, always whenever a water pump is replaced it should be checked to make sure it turns freely.

Also, prior to installing a new t-stat the new t-stat should be tested for acceptable operation by putting it in a pan/pot of hot water on the stove with an accurate thermometer to verify the t-stat opens at the designated temp and that it opens fully. I like to drop the new and old t-stat in the same water to see if there are any significant differences in their behavior.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water pump is an easy afternoon DIY. OEM pump is $275 from Pelican. Good video on YouTube on DIY. $1000 is insane.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pterfloth
Water pump is an easy afternoon DIY. OEM pump is $275 from Pelican. Good video on YouTube on DIY. $1000 is insane.
Only $222 at Suncoast...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
BEST CASE SCENARIO: car gives enough "warnings" or symptoms that WP is about to crap out so owner is able to fix/repair.

I have read about some owners who had ZERO warnings (or maybe some ignored the clues or were simply CLUEless) who then had to deal with a catastrophic failure.

I am leaning towards taking a vigilant/wait-and-see stance like Macster above (have 63K miles on original WP: no noises, drips or wiggle/jiggle so far)
I am working along the same lines as Macster and yourself. Its easy for me to whip off the air intake and serpentine belt and spin the water pump. If it silent and not wobbly then it stays. Then keep my eye on the water temps. Mine has 53000 on it now and no drips. Coolant level static and believe me I hammer this car on a daily basis. I am not against preventative maintenance in fact I make mine by inspection before replacement. If it is a DIY job then all the better as I love working on 'Doodlebug'. Thats my pet name for my car. Click the link for an explanation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
BReyes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your pump is original it requires service. Every three years or 60K mi. I changed my coolant a few times before the wp too. 100 degree temps often and school queus. Not worth the risk as it can go bad without warning.

Regards,
Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, like all parts on these cars, which constantly rise, the WP is up to $260 at Suncoast. They do not recommend the 997 WP for the 996, too many have reported interference, which is not normal.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How come I am seeing new water pumps at Parts Geek for half the price of prices mentioned so far? Is there anything against installing these cheaper pumps. Any feed back from posters would be well appreciated along with Pros and Cons for these pumps. Thanks.

http://www.partsgeek.com/7bz9hxr-por...p+-+A1+Cardone

Quick Reply: water pump