Sponsored by:

Socal/Los Angeles Machine Shop - Rotor Grind

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 AM
stevekat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Socal/Los Angeles Machine Shop - Rotor Grind

I am interested in getting my factory rotors cleaned up - they are in pretty good shape, rather then replace them. I would like to take the lip off and smooth a slightly rippled surface. Can someone recommend a good machine shop in Los Angeles that can grind them? (I am on the west side but can drive in the vicinity.) I would like a shop that that has experience/standards compatible with Porsche. Also, any idea on what a reasonable cost should be per rotor?

I just believe that rotors that come on the build in my experience have a better spec so I do not want to give them up unnecessarily.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I would not do it. OEM rotors are cheap and if you are a DIY'er this is one of the easier / rewarding projects to do. And....the rotors are the same as any other Carrera narrow body 996. I guess I'm saying your 40th doesn't take special rotors....I think(?).
Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

OEM rotors are cheap, but Porsche sourced rotors are more, and even with dealer parts, I have always found with most manufacturer's that the factory rotor (put on during the build of the car) is superior to OEM and marque boxed rotors thru the dealer supply chain. Porsche may be different, but that has been my experience.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

The cast holes in the rotors makes it difficult to turn them without damaging the bit. I've never had luck finding a shop that was willing to do it. Of course, I've also never had rotors that would have benefited from turning before they were at the minimum thickness. I'm with Pete. I'd just replace them.

-Shawn
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If your rotors are above the minimum thickness spec and not cracked, you don't need to do anything to them. New pads adapt quickly to the ridges and the out lip doesn't bother anything.

If rotors are below min thickness you need to replace them. OEM from Suncoast in Oregon are around $300 a pair IIRC and it's an easy DIY.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekat
I am interested in getting my factory rotors cleaned up - they are in pretty good shape, rather then replace them. I would like to take the lip off and smooth a slightly rippled surface. Can someone recommend a good machine shop in Los Angeles that can grind them? (I am on the west side but can drive in the vicinity.) I would like a shop that that has experience/standards compatible with Porsche. Also, any idea on what a reasonable cost should be per rotor?

I just believe that rotors that come on the build in my experience have a better spec so I do not want to give them up unnecessarily.
If the rotors are not too thin and in otherwise good shape, you can replace the pads (and other hardware that is supposed to be replaced/renewed) and afterwards do a brake pad bed in operation and the rotors and brakes will be fine. I've replaced the pads in my Boxster many times without replacing the rotors and never had any problems.

Also, my experience varies with the subsequent rotor/pad quality. In my car's case the original pads/rotors delivered superior braking and longevity and brake dust seemed reasonable.

Subsequent dealer sourced replacement hardware not so much.

Then I'd get another good set of pads or pads and rotors. This latest set of pads and rotors appears to be the equal of the hardware that came on the car.

Even though there is some variability in the performance of the braking hardware, that is longevity and dust output, the actual braking performance has remained as best I can tell unchanged and always very very good.

If you are dead set on getting the rotors remachined, any reasonably equipped automotive machine shop should be able to help you, provided of course it accepts Porsche rotors. Some automotive machine shops steer clear of machining parts for the more exotic cars for various reasons.

Ask your friendly local Porsche dealer if it can recommend an automotive machine shop that can resurface the rotors. Dealers have shops they send flywheels too and possibly rotors as well for resurfacing.

IIRC there's a brake rotor refinisher that will refinish the rotors on the car but I'm not sure if this is offered by Porsche and used by any dealers or if is a piece of equipment that is offered by an after automotive machine tool equipment maker.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 AM
stevekat
Intermediate

I found a local Santa Monica area shop that accepted Porsche rotors. All were in spec so they are turning them. For some reason I thought they should be ground rather than turned, but it appears I was mistaken. It was suggested by the Porsche shop I use back east that I chamfer all the holes after the machined rotors are returned from the shop (if the shop does not do this.)

I too have found that dealer parts are often not up to the spec/quality as the parts installed when the car was built - this particularly applies to rotors.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What will they charge to turn your rotors?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What is the name of the shop in SM?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM
stevekat
Intermediate

They quoted me $25 per rotor (I think this represents a premium for the cross-drilled rotor.) The shop is Engler Bros. on Pico.

Quick Reply: Socal/Los Angeles Machine Shop - Rotor Grind